Price drop in Intel Quad core

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Q6600 dropped from 193$ to 183$....
Q9450 not yet but soon, but Q9450 has been phased out. Q9550's price is like similar of Q9450, and shud fall as soon as nehalem releases.

imgame2

Padawan
indian market behaves differently ..and major price cuts will only come after the launch or just before the launch of nehalem ...

imgame2

Padawan
its supposed to arrive in Q4 of 2008 means sep-dec 2008 ...but so far no news of lauch date ..so can't tell for sure ...

introduction of nehalem will definately push quad core prices down ...but u can expect a price cut even before launch ..so that to attract buyer and sell as many quad core and in the process make room for nehalem ...what intel wants to do be will be interesting to see ....but in any case within 2-3 months quad prices should cut if intel comes with nehalem till december 2008

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Nehalem is NOT gonna cause serious drops till next year.this year it will just be a beginning of a new platform.it all depends on how well it does.if we see a significant increase in price-performance of i7 then only there will be a price decrease.otherwise intel will roll out some new processors followed by price decrease.
And since dollar prices are up,those q6600 and others' price decrease does not reflect in india.

imgame2

Padawan
Nehalem is NOT gonna cause serious drops till next year.this year it will just be a beginning of a new platform.it all depends on how well it does.if we see a significant increase in price-performance of i7 then only there will be a price decrease.otherwise intel will roll out some new processors followed by price decrease.
And since dollar prices are up,those q6600 and others' price decrease does not reflect in india.

well obviously intel wouldn't be waiting to see how good nehalem performs..and obviously intel will not wait for u to see how nehalem performs and then decide for price drops .. ...its simple market strategy ...before introducing nehalem if they reduce the price of quad cores ..they will sell like a hot cake ....and intel can more and more money out of them

and obviously nehalem will be placed in some price segment... AFAIK it will be placed just about or above the highest quad core or in that range ...so obviously no one would buy quad core even if nehalem is 5-10% better ...so they will have to clear up the space and make room for nehalem ...

indian market still works on demand dynamics the price only goes down if there is demand for particular product (also the price cut down some times is region specific if they see if something is selling hot in some region ..even for higher price ..why reduce the price ? )....for example even when gtx260 price have cut hugely in US it cost equal to HD4870 ...in india its still is 3~3.5k more costly than HD4870 .....since there are not many people buying either HD4870 or gtx260 ....in india ...

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

it's already proved how good it is, I mean Nehalem

imgame2

Padawan
asus is already dropping price for its P45 mobo ..to make way for X58 mobo ...so i think it shows something about things to come ...

*arstechnica.com/journals/hardware....ices-to-meet-student-demand-clear-way-for-x58

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
What i meant to say is an extreme cpu hardly affects price of the lower ones.
Even if its a new platform , ppl worldwide (do neglect the niche) will only adopt it if there's a nehalem that costs close to q6600/9xxx which cannot happen till next year.
When conroe was out e6300 was around 9k i think.it only came down due to competition from AMD and introduction of newer processors.this time we won't see both.so its hard to expect.ever since AMD'S beaten intel has been slow in price cuts..
Why would intel cut price of already affordable processors just bcoz they launching a extreme one thats got no relation?

Graphics cards are a different thing-all price decrease occurs due to competition and the (insane) concept of rolling out 8-10 cards by every company to be on top in every segment.sales matter.since intel is already earning a lot,i'd expect quads to be down by january or later..by that i mean 1k-2k decrease

Last edited:
Deneb! What about the DDR2 versions of Deneb processors which are soon releasing in Q4 ?
AMD promised that we would see two or three denebs (but based on DDR2) this year end.
These are supposed to be temporary, since AMD is going to launch DDR3 next year and by next year end, when DDR3 prices go down, AMD's DDR2 Denebs will be phased out.

imgame2

Padawan
@nish_higher may be u are right but ...obviously they can't make nehalem unaffordable ..so far the rumors say they will be placed about the price of highest quadcore ..if they keep it at that price ...Quad core prices have to come down ...if the highest quad core comes down ...it will affect the one below it ...and that one will affect the next below it..
cos every product has to have a price range else ..no point having different products ...

nehalem will be costing $300 ~$400 initially ..so where will the products in $300 band go ..?? they have to pushed down ....

look here

*www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=15521

*www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14376

Hmm.... *www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14376 looks highly intresting. That also indicates that the 2.93GHz version, which costs nearly double the 2.66GHz version, *might* just end up being a flop unless there is some sort of catch in the 284$ 2.66GHz model.

If intel is really disabling overclockability in their 2.66GHz version, I think AMD is going to still be a strong competitor to it, with their 3.0GHz Deneb Quad Core, which is supposed to be around 300$ and can do 4GHz on stock cooling. It already beats the 2.66GHz nehalem acording to some indirect benchmarks (deneb vs phenom, nehalem vs yorkfield each given by respective companies; and phenom vs yorkfield measured real world) so adding some 30$ to it and buying a nice OCing CPU would be the thing most budget geeks would do.

imgame2

Padawan
If intel is really disabling overclockability in their 2.66GHz version, I think AMD is going to still be a strong competitor to it, with their 3.0GHz Deneb Quad Core, which is supposed to be around 300$ and can do 4GHz on stock cooling. It already beats the 2.66GHz nehalem acording to some indirect benchmarks (deneb vs phenom, nehalem vs yorkfield each given by respective companies; and phenom vs yorkfield measured real world) so adding some 30$ to it and buying a nice OCing CPU would be the thing most budget geeks would do.
we don't know that yet for sure ..though there had been rumors ..but Intel knows that disabling overclock ability will only cripple the product ..cos one of the USP of Core2 models were its amazing overclock ability ...

but recently i had seen news that Intel after all is not going to disable the overclocking...and i found something more interesting ...saying a 2.66GHz nehalem can overclock upto 4 GHz ...

*www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9490&Itemid=35

nothing concerete from intel side yet ...but i guess intel will hurt themselves disabling overclocking feature...

w00t!
Its been confirmed that Nehalem would indeed feature overclocking.

Now what remains to be seen are cheap chipsets. Till we see a sub 4K Nehalem motherboard, AMD is going to have an upper hand. Deneb apparently ties to Yorkfield in performance (As usual, AMD is still one step below intel). And since their AM3 CPUs can fit in AM2+ sockets, its hurray for those people who want some nice CHEAP solution for processors.

And one more intresting fact is that Nehalem does not have too many improvements over Yorkfield or Penryn in gaming benchmarks. They have more features which compete in sections AMD is strong at. But since AMD is trying to compete with intel's strong points too, we might see some healthy competition here.

But fact still remains - AMD solution, going by performance per rupee is still lower.

Yeah. The Phenom X3 8450 looks tempting at its current price since it is better than E7200 now. But their lack of overclockability is pulling me away from them.

Hopefully, my future upgrade to a Deneb would be good. I am mostly planning to get a 8xx series AM3 board with HD4xxx IGP and a Deneb Dual/Triple/Quad core CPU.

imgame2

Padawan
Yeah. The Phenom X3 8450 looks tempting at its current price since it is better than E7200 now. But their lack of overclockability is pulling me away from them.

how is phenom X3 8450 better than E7200 ???

people have already bought E7200 for 5.1k and X3 8450 costs about 4.9 k ...how is 200 rupess justified for the performance E7200 gives over X3 8450...??? :confused:

three cores doesn't do any good to X3 even X3 8750 looks behind E7200 ...

*www.digit-life.com/articles3/cpu/amd-phenom-x3-8750-p2.html

*www.digit-life.com/articles3/cpu/amd-phenom-x3-8750-p3.html

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-x3-8750_5.html#sect1

However, Core 2 Duo and Phenom X3 do not always show us an interesting race. We only see it in applications where performance scales well for more than two cores. Unfortunately, there are very few applications like that, so in most cases Phenom X3 loses to Intel processors from the same price range. Still, these applications do exist and include final rendering tasks, some video processing and encoding tasks, and a few others.
So, we have to state that another AMD initiative has not too many chances to succeed. Phenom X3 may become a great niche product, however, they will hardly get very popular. Youngest Intel processors from Wolfdale family priced at the same level offer higher average performance, lower heat dissipation and power consumption and much better overclocking potential. AMD, however, will hardly dare drop the Phenom X3 prices much lower, because they use a monolithic quad-core die, which is pretty expensive to make. To be fair, I would like to add that if AMD decided to lower the prices even more, Phenom X3 may become a worthy alternative to Core 2 Duo E4000 and Pentium Dual Core.

source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom