PREY is'nt that bad after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
After completing DOOM 3 and QUAKE 4 and DEMO for Timeshift, I was looking for any next installment on similar environment. I was looking forward for PREY. But after reading some reviews including the digit one, I droped the idea way back, but today when I had nothing to pout upon I installed PRAY and decided to havea go for it. Man was I surprised, the game is very decent, with awsome graphics, the piculiar environment with glossy ambience really adds to the experience. Wepon system is very unique and stylish. The only letdown (not to that extent that it ruins the game all together) is the gameplay, I was not impressed by the re spawning thing, you dont die you keep on shifting between the two worlds,and if you dont die, the fear of saving yourself and hunting for health like bonkers is not there. But overall a very decent game which deserves more attention than it did I guess.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
PREY is a brilliant game and I have completed it thrice.... liked it each time.... :)

some of my friends though complained that they didn't like the game. They were having problems with the rotating gravity stuff.....

NikhilVerma

Padawan
PREY is the one of the most innovative games I have played ! The only game which made me nauseous at times because of it's gravity effects ... everything was upside down. The best effect I liked was when u see a very tiny ball ... and enter a portal... and the next thing u know .... U ARE ON THE BALL ! :eek:

kick a$$ game !!!!

( I have yet to complete it :p coz my exams going on and can't afford to play it now :p )

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
What , digit gave bad ratings to Prey, who the hell is reviewing games for the mag? Prey is surprisingly good game , after doom 3 and Quake 4 no one was really looking forward to that game , but the game turned out to be real good and ya saved the ass of 3D Realms which is probably going to take loss with the Duke nukem forever title.

Gamepro.com - 4.8 out of 5
IGN.com - 9.0 out of 10
GameSpy.com - 4.0 out of 5
GameRevolution.com - 6.0 out of 10
GameSpot.com- 7.5 out of 10

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
tarey_g said:
What , digit gave bad ratings to Prey, who the hell is reviewing games for the mag? Prey is surprisingly good game , after doom 3 and Quake 4 no one was really looking forward to that game , but the game turned out to be real good and ya saved the ass of 3D Realms which is probably going to take loss with the Duke nukem forever title.

Gamepro.com - 4.8 out of 5
IGN.com - 9.0 out of 10
GameSpy.com - 4.0 out of 5
GameRevolution.com - 6.0 out of 10
GameSpot.com- 7.5 out of 10

Yea digit gave a 5 outa 10 for Prey......I was surprised too.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Indyan said:
I aint sure but I think it was fatbeing.

Its mr fatbieng's birthday today , does he review games? I dont know coz i dont read digit any more(Costly mag :D).
Seriously digit+game reviews = dissapointment. I still remember the Doom 3 review by Mr Badri in digit, lol.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Whats this all about "Doom 3 review by Mr Badri". Which month issue had it, I m eager to have a look.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeah what about that review? Oh and belated happy birthday fatbeing! Where's my treat?

Raaabo

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
Yes, that was my review, and I stick by it. Some of the things that the one-page allotment didn't afford me:

1. In normal games, the story unfolds as you move through the game. Prey has no such thing. You don't know what the heck you're doing right up until you meet the Mother, and she gives it all to you in one huge dose. It's like fighting college peons so that you can go sit down for a lecture.

2. The weapons only look pretty. Otherwise, they're the standard set - assault rifle, machine gun, rocket launcher...give me something new, please

3. As soon as I discovered that I couldn't die, the adrenaline rush was gone. In F.E.A.R., for example, running into ten soldiers with 40 health and surviving is a thrill. In Prey, there's no such thing. It's as boring as god mode.

4. There were a million things that the developers could have done with Spirit Walk. They didn't. And those "use spirit walk here" markers are an insult to the intelligence.

5. After all the "portal" hype, I was expecting something along the lines of Valve's Portal. They're just souped-up doors in Prey.

The trouble with Prey is the hype - it simply does not live up to it. True, if you like brain-deadening games like the Doom and Quake series, you'll like Prey. For me, this was the only game review so far that actually felt like work.

P.S. What's the deal with Badri's review?

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Re: PREY isn't that bad after all

Mods/staff posting in gamerz section , how rare is that :p

FatBeing said:
Yes, that was my review, and I stick by it. Some of the things that the one-page allotment didn't afford me:

Totally agreed on this one man , one page for a game review sucks. Sorry to say but then its no point publishing it.

FatBeing said:
4. There were a million things that the developers could have done with Spirit Walk. They didn't. And those "use spirit walk here" markers are an insult to the intelligence.

Exactly my feelings, games are getting easy and thats a shame. recently valve made a elevator stage more easier (which was already easy) in half life episode 1 cos most gamers were having problem completing it. wth

FatBeing said:
5. After all the "portal" hype, I was expecting something along the lines of Valve's Portal. They're just souped-up doors in Prey.
Portal is a game totally dedicated to the funda of portals. So its deep , as the gameplay videos suggest. I am sure this game wont deliver the "Insult to intelligence" feeling :p

FatBeing said:
The trouble with Prey is the hype - it simply does not live up to it. True, if you like brain-deadening games like the Doom and Quake series, you'll like Prey. For me, this was the only game review so far that actually felt like work.

Prey was highly awaited since they announced it , but as people played two totally linear games from the doom3 engine (d3 & q4) all the hype for a third similar looking corridor shooter was down. But prey is not like that, due to this fact the game felt surprisingly good.

FatBeing said:
P.S. What's the deal with Badri's review?

Forum had a thread on this topic which i had started, in-fact the doom3 review was the reason i joined the forum as i was highly disappointed after reading it. But the thread no more exists as many old threads don't.And i don't have the digit issue too or i had made a clear post abt it.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
True, Prey is unique in that it isn't a regular corridor game. It's still painfully linear, just topsy turvy thanks to all the wallwalks and gravity flippers, which I do admit are fun.

One thing I just remembered in re linearity: some doors are covered in green slime, and you need to explode that slime to get through. Can you do it with a grenade? No. Ten? No. Rocket launcher? Heck no. You need to roll a slimy egg-like thing next to it and explode that. Ridiculous.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
FatBeing said:
2. The weapons only look pretty. Otherwise, they're the standard set - assault rifle, machine gun, rocket launcher...give me something new, please?

I though the wepons were pretty cool, sure the wepons type remain same, an assault rifle would be an assualt rifil, a machine gun would be a machine gun but the presentation and implimentation of those were good and different

3. As soon as I discovered that I couldn't die, the adrenaline rush was gone. In F.E.A.R., for example, running into ten soldiers with 40 health and surviving is a thrill. In Prey, there's no such thing. It's as boring as god mode.

I agree to this part as I said the respwaning thing kills the excitement, man sometimes it even becomes frustrating. On the contrary I play more securly not because to save my self but because I dont want to land up killing those sprit things again.

True to some extent.

Probable it was over hyped, but nimish (I guess he reviewed pray) made it sound too underrated. Its not that bad. True I agree there are some noticible glitches like the sprit walk can only pass through force field and obeys gravity that was funny but still its far far and way better than Doom 3 which was overhyped 10 times more than PREY.

EDIT::The best part are the Graphics. I play at 1280x1024 (too bad that my monitor's max res :-()with all the razz-m-tazz set to high max whatever and believe me the game looks awsome.

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

^^ Dude Nimish and Fatbeing are the same person:D
Btw, Fatbeing, you did not replied to Raaabo's post!:p

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
Don't even get me started on Doom 3 :p

The graphics are the best part, and I did mention that in the review. But really, so many games look good that it's become a very unimportant parameter when I do a review. I prefer to look at execution, gameplay and replay value, which is where Prey disappointed me.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Doom 3 was only graphics(the time it released was the best looking game) with the worst storyline that can ever exist.

hellrider

Broken In
Similar is the Prey's storyline.. But I can't understand this.. why all Doom 3 engine based games has monsters in it!!

rajasekharan

Youngling
Who ever rated it has done an injustice to it . . :-( . I still say , only take half of what a game reviewer say . Cause its only his point of view. All play games at diff level and has diff likings . I can rate some as 10 and people can rate it as 1 too. Its all crap these days. The best is to try out a demo and figure out yourself.you are the best judge when it comes to games not the other person.

hellrider

Broken In
Best site to find abt game's score is www.gamerankings.com, it considers the scores from all gaming sites & averages them.. so u'll get clear picture abt the game. For Prey the average score is abt 78%, not bad at all!!

In fact, to tell the truth I enjoyed the game very much.. but one thing though its one of the easiest game to beat..!! can finish it off in one weekend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom