[Preview+Feedback] September 2005 Digit Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Whoops, I forgot to post the preview of the magazine... AGAIN! I guess I AM OLD!!!! :(

As usual, this is the Preview AND feedback thread!

Digital Passion

Movie Madness
Even multi-million dollar movies make silly mistakes when depicting technology.

I, Robot, Your Friend
Robots are still considered largely outlandish, but advancements over the years may soon change that… and with it, probably the way we live

The Race For Speed
For years Intel and AMD have upped speeds the gigahertz way. They’re now pushing dual-core processors. We look at the why and what of dual-core

GRR-aphics cards
32 PCIe Graphics cards tested

Geek Dreams
LG 15LW1R

30 Days Without…
My Cell Phone (Deepak Dhingra)

Digital Tools

Microsoft To The Rescue
A better understanding of Microsoft.com can give you the edge you need at work…

An Online Cache Of LNG
A journalist took up the task of writing on all things LNG. He now has a commercially successful Web site and global clientele to his credit

Old Way Tech Way
Shooting a table top (product)

Net Gain
Gamespot.com

Tech Nightmares
Digital Cameras

Communicate Better
A PC and an MFD can take care of all your communication requirements

Megapixel Mania
40 Digital Cameras Tested

Agent001
TV Tuners

New & Notable
Sneak Peek at Windows Vista

Visual Explanation
How OLED works

Digital Business

Playing Mailman
Outsource critical e-mail handling to the professionals

Trend
Smart Access Control

Face Off
Is paperless the way to be?

Digital Leisure

Ergonomics At Work
Improve your typing safety and performance—use ergonomically designed keyboards and mice

Tech Critique
Brian Lara International Cricket 2005

Tech Shopping Guide
Digit looks at the top 3 products across categories: Digital cameras, games, home theatres, laptops, MP# players, PDAs, Mobile phones and watches!

Fast Track To Online Web Presence

All this and much, much more of course...

esokairuk

Right off the assembly line
Sep '05

Id just like to post a few thoughts on the September issue of Digit. The double flaps on the front cover are a total botheration please get rid of them immediately!

I enjoyed this months edition absolutely all the articles were good and helpful, Id like to especialy congragulate the makers of Fasttrack for this month. I think it is spectacular and very helpful to build an online identity for anyone.

I've been a net user for so long and it bugs me to see my mailbox flooded with fwd messages from ppl who think they are sending out something cool. I totaly share the sentiments of digit on the issue and it has been my practice to simply delete these nuiscances! I think a more prominent article on Netiquette is nesecary in the magazine.

On thing more id like to criticise here is the section Tabloid Tech. What is its purpose really? to fish out candid borderline decent stories that hold more interests for peverts that true technology fans.. I think its about time you stopped that section.

S

Spammy

Please refer ‘Lead Feature’ in Digital Passion – Movie Madness by Robert Smith.

Code:
As most of us know, IP addresses are 8-bit numbers
Thanks for making that ‘most’ all of us out there. They are not 8-bit numbers but IP addresses are 32-bit numbers. At least for the IP version 4. In Class A addresses, network address is 8-bit, node’s being 24-bit. In Class B, both network and node being 16-bit and in Class C, network address being 24-bit and the node being 8-bit, Class D and Class E being special ones.

If you try to find fault with other’s work, at least get your own research right. If you go on proclaiming yourself technology navigator, I guess I’d be better off alone.

Raaabo – If you are audacious enough to block my IP, at least have the courage to post it right there and be truthful making us all aware who's the boss here if that inflates your ego a bit more. Your egalitarian views in Fast Track , which I have reasons to believe was written by you, about managing the forum had me astonished and was in total contrast with your repressive attitude on this very forum not to mention consecrating your followers. How do you live with yourself being so hypocrite, lying through your teeth. How do get sleep at night you Bible-quoting pretending to be some upright looking decent civilized family man.

sms_solver

In the zone
The paper quality of cover page is not to the standard, i don't mind much of paper quality of inner pages, but the cover page quality is just not up to the mark!!

Note: Small things matter

Tech&ME

Banned
Well ! this months mag articles had no ending.....

Ya ! most of the articles were incomplete, the articles prompted to read more on the topic, but it looked like the articles should have ended with this line. " TO BE CONTINUED...."

For Example: The Article " Communicate Better ", Raaboo under the subhead "Voice Communication" just touched on the modern EPABX idea, he never bothered to tell the user what it is, What is IP-PBX or PC-PBX, which in fact he was talking about silently.

Actually what Raaboo was talking here was to use the PC as an EPABX system for communication and this can be achived by using IP-PBX software and hardware which he never mentioned in the article. Then what was the purpose of this article ? with incomplete ideas and suggestions ? :wink: (you cannot achive this technology just by using your modem, you need extra IP-PBX hardware and software)

There were other articles also which had incomplete stories.

"HE ALSO HACKS INTO ANY AND EVERYTHING IN UNDER TWO MINUTES FLAT!" ---- page 27

Where did Di9it learned that hacking takes a whole one Year to complete. At a recent Tv show, which was a REAL show with REAL hackers from around the world, the show was shown on Discovery Channel. The REAL hackers did some real hacking on live camera and just in few minutes flat (hacking of the site was stopped at the last minute). One of the hackers also gave interview saying they can hack anything in minutes, infact to hack a site successfully they have their own time limites or deadlines.

So Di9it should watch Tv shows before they write articles !

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Spammy said:
Please refer ‘Lead Feature’ in Digital Passion – Movie Madness by Robert Smith.

Code:
As most of us know, IP addresses are 8-bit numbers
Thanks for making that ‘most’ all of us out there. They are not 8-bit numbers but IP addresses are 32-bit numbers. At least for the IP version 4. In Class A addresses, network address is 8-bit, node’s being 24-bit. In Class B, both network and node being 16-bit and in Class C, network address being 24-bit and the node being 8-bit, Class D and Class E being special ones.

IP addresses are 4 eight bit numbers, and if you notice the screenshots there is only one number that is wrong. So if an IP is shown as 24.36.789.21, there is a flaw, because an IP address consists of FOUR EIGHT-BIT numbers. Thus the 789 is WRONG, because 8-bit number = 0 to 255!

Is that clearer? And you were banned for different reasons, please do not come back to this forum. Member banned!

sarandigit

Broken In
The DVD of this issue contained less gaming stuff. Though it may numerically account to nearly six but most of the games given are either old or already used ones.

Tapomay

Lazy fat guy..
I like the article 'The Race for Speed' by Ram Mohan Rao very much. Thank you very much for this kind of informative article. Keep going...

vipulrm

Right off the assembly line
Serious goof-up in the Digital Camera shootout

I would like to bring to your notice a pretty serious goof-up w.r.t. the Digital Camera shootout. In the shootout section, on page 88, you have specified the price of Nikon Coolpix 5900 as Rs. 21,900/- and awarded it Best Buy Silver in its category. Also, in the Tech Shopping section, on page 132, you have given the price of the same Nikon Coolpix 5900 as Rs. 14,000/-.

This is a HUGE difference in price, guys. How could you mess-up so bad? If the camera is indeed available for only Rs. 14,000/-, then this camera would have belonged to another category of the shootout altogether and could have definitely truned around results in its favour. I think this is a big miss, folks.

Another thing is, on the same page 132 of the Tech Shopping section, you have a write up on Casio Exilim Z750 Digital Camera. As per the write up, this camera has a good set of features and is available for Rs. 19,000/- only. This is pretty cheap for a 7.2 megapixel, DVD quality video capture capable camera. I wonder why wasn't this part of the shootout? I am sure even this would have changed results if it were included.

Bearing the above points in mind, I feel that the whole Digital Camera Shootout is null and void. I am as confused and undecided as before.

I understand that two different departments might have been involved for doing the shootout and Tech Shopping sections, respectively, but that isn't any excuse. The readers do not expect such a huge disconnect amongst your teams. Your consistent efforts have made the readers expect excellent quality from you guys. So please try and avoid such obvious goof-ups in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom