TheSloth

The Slowest One
RM1000X is one of the rare psu to get a 10/10 rating at jonnyguru,also read the below thread(all two & a half pages) for some amusing discussion:
any way to fix critical RM1000x flaw? (modify default fan speed)) - jonnyGURU Forums

Also this:
burn smell coming from psu - jonnyGURU Forums

However do note that a 1000w psu may need a 1.5kva UPS even if the actual system load is much less(say 200-300w). It may still work but I wouldn't count on it.
I have doubt. If the fan starts only after reaching certain high temps then why didn't it start when the OP in that thread used hair dryer over PSU?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have doubt. If the fan starts only after reaching certain high temps then why didn't it start when the OP in that thread used hair dryer over PSU?
Who knows,maybe he did it incorrectly or maybe it was not enough.The fact is that veterans there(incl jonnyguru himself) clearly discarded any mass failure report of this model.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why will it need need a 1.5kva ups to work? Is it not compatible with regular 500/600 va upses?
UPS provides 60% of their VA rating as actual power so a 600VA ups provides 360W of power.Your actual system load maybe less than that while using a 1000W psu but during the power cut,depending on various factors & for a few milli seconds,there might be a load near to max capacity of psu(in this case 1000w) which will not be supported by a 600VA/800VA/even 1000VA ups. It may work but are you willing to take the chance(on the other hand a 1.5KVA ups will work for sure).

quicky008

Technomancer
It seems the folks over at jonnyguru are somewhat biased towards corsair-they clearly don't wish to entertain any claims that the psu may be faulty by design.

Acc. To corsair's official specs, the fan in this model is governed by the load on the psu-it doesn't seem affected by the ambient temperature. That may be the reason why it didn't start in case of the user who blew in hot air using his hair dryer as the psu was not adequately loaded.

This may be risky and might explain why many users have reported that the connectors in the psu are susceptible to melting on prolonged usage.

In hot countries like ours the ambient temps reach alarming levels even under normal circumstances,despite that if the fan doesn't start it may cause the components to heat up and melt.

I was keen on buying this psu to replace my seasonic s12ii 620,but i don't know whether it will be the right thing to do or not,especially because i have a 650va ups. I can't afford to replace both right now.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Corsair RMx Series 1000 W Review
You can see in the chart that at 500W load fan rpm was zero & delta was 13C for ambient temp rang of 34-47C.So the max temp was 47+13=60C which I don't think is enough to melt connector. Anyway I never recommend getting a 1000w psu anyway for a typical user even if available at same price as,say,a 750w model.Main reason being suspected ability of UPS to handle such a psu. Better get Corsair TXM series or even latest CXx5x series. Seasonic S12II should be good enough if it is not too old.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Currently the only recommendations are:

Corsair:
CX/M series (5 years warranty)
TXM series (7 years warranty)
RMx series (10 years warranty)

Antec:
Earthwatts Gold Pro (7 years warranty <-- make sure)

Any models from Cooler Master or Thermaltake doesn't beat these and Seasonic has outdated PSUs.

shreeux

Movie Buff
Buy Antec HCG-1000-EXTREME at Lowest Price in India - www.mdcomputers.in

Its worth to buy this price...?

Instead of 550W, buying 1000W impact on Electricity Bill?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really? Has Seasonic ramped down production? Seasonic PSUs are pretty good quality though.
Their latest models are not available in India,only old discontinued/about to be discontinued models are available which can't be recommended nowadays especially with corsair latest CX series.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I mean if you choose above 550W, Consumption of Electricity Bill will increase?
No,psu use only that much power which is required by the system+some extra energy waste as no machine is 100% efficient. Even a 1000w psu will consume ~110w if system load is ~100w. Only thing is your ups might not be able to support it even if actual power load of system is less than ups capacity.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Buy Antec HCG-1000-EXTREME at Lowest Price in India - www.mdcomputers.in

Its worth to buy this price...?

Instead of 550W, buying 1000W impact on Electricity Bill?

I was thinking how did I miss this, then I saw it's on sale at 50% discount. At this price it's really great. PSU only consumes as much power as your PC needs. The only thing to worry about high power supplies is the inrush current and maybe weight if you have an issue with portability. If the PSU doesn't have a good inrush current limiter it could damage your breakers/fuses in the electrical grid at your home. But it looks like it does have a good enough inrush limiter.

Antec HCG1000 Extreme Rating - Tom's Hardware

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Really? Has Seasonic ramped down production? Seasonic PSUs are pretty good quality though.

The new Seasonic models haven't been introduced in the Indian market yet. But you can find them in the Antec models. For example, Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro is basically a Seasonic Focus model.

shreeux

Movie Buff
No,psu use only that much power which is required by the system+some extra energy waste as no machine is 100% efficient. Even a 1000w psu will consume ~110w if system load is ~100w. Only thing is your ups might not be able to support it even if actual power load of system is less than ups capacity.

I have UPS (APC Back-UPS ES 650 4 Outlet)....I have to choose upto 650W?

Top Bottom