*img280.imageshack.us/img280/961/sisoftmemory297134481zq.th.jpg

quad master

In the zone
Gr8 Figures there Darky.

Thats 420HTT.

And The best thing is that Hynix going at 303Mhz @ 7705MBps

Running that normal Hynix at DDR606 Speed

Absolutely Unbelievable.

Thats what i like about DFI never limits the spirit of an Overclocker.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Keith Sebastian said:
Are these stable overclocks. How may hours of Prime and Memtest burn in's have you conducted?.

-Keith

Well to be frank when you do extreme overclocking,stability needs to be kept aside.

Even a suicide shot is allowed if the achievement is really extreme.

Well my System is rock stable at following settings -

CPU Speed - 2.8GHz
HTT Speed - 312
LDT Multiplier - 3x
CPU Multiplier - 9x
CPU Core Voltage - 1.56V
LDT voltage - 1.5V
Chipset Voltage - 1.8V
Vdimm - 3.4V
CPU Temps - 42c [Idle] 54c [Full Load]
PWM IC Temps - 41c [Idle] 48c[Full Load]
Chipset Voltage - 48c[Idle] 53c [Full Load]

Memory Specs -
Timings - 2-2-2-5
Command Rate - 1T
Memory Bank Interleave - Enabled

This setup is rock stable,yes Prime Stable,Super Pi 1M test passes,Sisoft Sandra Burn in tests ran for 5 hours.
I guess that counts as stable. :wink:

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Does my asus a8ne have ram divider? I have amd64 3200+(winchester) on asus A8NE. I think my overclocks are limited to 2.2GHz(stable) by my hynix ram. I use AI Booster to increase htt. Anything above 2.2 and the pc hangs immediately. My ram is hy5du56422bt-d43.

Ringwraith

Journeyman
impressive results indeed ! altho i m not too much into overclocking myself...
my system (config below) ...I cant even run the Ram at 1T command rate at stock 3-3-3-8 timings :( forget overclocking :(( any pointers?

quad master

In the zone
Your ASUS A8N-E is a gr8 motherboard for overclocking.

Also dont overclock with AiBooster.
Use BIOS for overclocking.

Gradually increase your FSB in 5Mhz

Also your motherboard is one of the best for OCing

Its has DDR Dividers for sure.

Also there might be other factors that might be affecting your overclock lile ram timings

If they are too tight you need to loose them up.

To like 2.5-3-3-7 or 3-3-3-8 to overclock the ram with CPU.

Orignal Hynix having D43 Chip reach 250 atleast.

But Darky managed 303 with his Hynix on his
masterpeice DFI Ultra-D.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
my OC is in my signature. The CAS timings which I have as of now on my kingston is 2-3-3-6 and it does not run any lower. Pretty happy with the performance till now. Lets see what happens when I get my new pdp memory on friday ;) hehehe.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
CAS2 timing of 2 is very impressive. I haven't dared go below 2.5 on my Hynix sticks.

Well those timings are on my OCZ Ram and not Hynix.I have posted the Hynix Screeny just to show the results.

the one with 2-2-2-5 is on my OCZ VX Ram.

I dont think Hynix is capable of doing CAS 2.
:wink:

Does my asus a8ne have ram divider? I have amd64 3200+(winchester) on asus A8NE. I think my overclocks are limited to 2.2GHz(stable) by my hynix ram. I use AI Booster to increase htt. Anything above 2.2 and the pc hangs immediately. My ram is hy5du56422bt-d43.

Asus A8N-E has RAM Dividers.They are named differently though.In Dram Config,keep Memclock Mode to DDR200 so your Ram will work at DDR 200 instead of 400 so you get a lot of headroom with the RAM not hindering your OCs.
Do NOT use AIBooster,its pretty useless.You could OC thru BIOS and to earn the last few MHz, use Clockgen,This can be found here - www.cpuid.com

Relax the timings of your RAM to 3-4-4-8.The ram you have is Hynix D43 and it like loose timings not tight ones. :wink:

my system (config below) ...I cant even run the Ram at 1T command rate at stock 3-3-3-8 timings Sad forget overclocking Sad( any pointers?
Tried updating the BIOS ?
May be that will help. :wink:

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Many boards had the 1T issue,which was solved with BIOS updates.
AFAIK DFI could do the 1T thing correctly from the beginning.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Thanks all, I hit 2260MHz with nothing else changed but only increasing the ddr voltage up one lvel.
But I am having trouble increasing it more than this. My ram timings are bad as it is by default at: latency=3, ras=8, ras-to-cas=4, mem bank switch=4.

If i did the same increase in clock with ai booster, my comp freezes. So never again with ai booster.

In ai booster, I can increase cpu voltage above 1.55V but in bios 1.55 is the max. Is this ok? Do I have to increase voltage of cpu if i increase clock? or shud I decrease it?

Shud I do anything with HT link multiplier (currently at x5)?

What about ddr voltage? If I change my ddr freq to 200, shud I decrease or increase the volt?

I read somewhere that if I have to OC in a8ne, i have to connect my sata in ports 3 and 4 to improve stablity. Will that help for my small overclocks? Anyway, I can't migrate to the other controller, as I have raid0 ed the satas and have my os in that.

quad master

In the zone
Thanks all, I hit 2260MHz with nothing else changed but only increasing the ddr voltage up one lvel.
Gr8

But I am having trouble increasing it more than this. My ram timings are bad as it is by default at: latency=3, ras=8, ras-to-cas=4, mem bank switch=4.
Whats the VDimm you are feeding into that ram and what ram do u have.

If you find that your ram is restricting your overclock then use DDR Divider.
How to use DDR Divider Read here:- *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26008

If i did the same increase in clock with ai booster, my comp freezes. So never again with ai booster.
Always use BIOS for system overclocking.

In ai booster, I can increase cpu voltage above 1.55V but in bios 1.55 is the max. Is this ok? Do I have to increase voltage of cpu if i increase clock? or shud I decrease it?

Which CPU do you have Venice or Winchester.
1.55 might be more.

Also when you overclock your CPU to a higher value you need to increase
the Vcore or CPU Voltage for the CPU to be stable

Shud I do anything with HT link multiplier (currently at x5)?
HTT multiplier doesnt have huge impact on the performance.
Whenever the HTT is increased from
200 to 250 it shud be 4
250 to 333 it shud be 3

The main reason is that the HTT Speed shud not exceed 1000Mhz
200 x 5 = 1000
250 x 4 = 1000
333 x 3 = 999.99

What about ddr voltage? If I change my ddr freq to 200, shud I decrease or increase the volt?
Increase the Vdimm with increse in FSB or HTT but it is depended on the
Ram chip used by the ram.

Note:- only increase the voltage of Vcore and VDimm only if you find that
your system is unstable.

Also use software like memtestx86 to test mem stability at overclocked speed and prime95 to test CPU stability.
Prime 95 Small FFT Test for atleast 12Hrs to test stability of the overclocked processor.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Thanks quadmaster and darklord for your enlightening response. Right now I just decreased my ram to 333MHz, ddr volt to 2.6V, HT to 4x and htt to 250. So now my cpu is running at 2500MHz and fsb at 1000MHz.
I wanted to increase htt more, but I want to see the stability of the current clock first. I am kinda dazed at the cpu freq here. Right now it is priming.

I want to know how the multiplier(currently at 10) plays a part here.

@quadmaster,
I have a winchester core 3200+. And at ddr400, I increased from 2.6V to 2.7V to acheive that speed.

It's kinda mind boggling to see the number of parameters in dram settings. I know two or three settings here, but not all. Do I have to know them to OC better?
I have another question. To acheive this speed, I had to lower ram performance, right, so will my benchmarks be faster or not? I understand that u have to go for better quality ram for ocing to avoid lowering settings, but I just wanted to ask.

quad master

In the zone
Wow its nice to see that i was of help to someone to get 2500Mhz thats nice. a 500Mhz OC.

Your chip can do more but first test stability.

Also keep an eye on Temps.

CPU multiplier role , very simple 250x10=2500Mhz

Also Running ram at lower speeds u get little less perf after all u can get everything from value ram.

Gr8 Ram Timings Guide here:- *www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397
You will understand every ram timing after reading this.

So how do u feel after overclocking that cpu to 2.5Ghz.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well Congrats on your 2.5GHz OC.Good effort.From what you ahve achieved, you seem to have a decent enough Winchester Stepping.
Anyways,you have mentioned that you SATA RAID and OS installed on it.
If possible,remove those drives[only while OC'ing] and install a 40 GB or any older PATA Drive.
SATA and OCing,isnt that good a combo.Although the SATA on NF4 isnt that quirky as NF3 but still.

So i suggest you do so to avoid RAID collapse or OS crashes.
Also be ready to face some OS crashes once you enter the extreme OC zone.
Now coming to the RAM issue,dont botther too much about it,if you have cheapo ram,dont worry,use dividers to run it at DDR200 so you dont have to worry about OC dumps due to Memory.
Now reduce the HTT/LDT Multiplier to 3X to be on the safest side.
and keep the Equations Quad has mentioned above always handy.
Most important is the HTT one.
Never let the HTT speed cross 1000.1020 HTT is OK but avoid if possible.THats why i told you to reduce it.That will remove another headache from your Mind and you can concentrate on Pure CPU OC.

Asus A8N-E is an excellent board.I say this from my experience.My previous Highest Personal OC on A64 was on it,2.82GHz to be precise.

THat board has Immense potential,use it.

Best Of luck And Happy OC'ing.

And about stability,i dont give a damn about it as practically you dont use thsoe speeds.Reasons for the same are various.
SO my ultimate aim is to see how i can go.
Even if your OC is benchable in Sandra,Everest..its good enough.
Dont forget to run SuperPi 1M test, it is very very sensitive,if it passes,you have a pretty stable OC.

Also when you cross the line and start doing Extreme OC,stability and all crap goes in the trash can,so to hell with it.

Hehehe.
Coem on man,go go go....
Keep your Target at 2.7 now.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I must've restarted more number of times today than all the other days combined. But I don't seem to get any faster than 2500MHz. But now I have increased back to 400MHz, so I guess it a bit better than my previous blind attempt. My ram has all the timings except the first three, as the maximum by default. It is a mark of a cheap ram, is it?

I had increased all the timings and freq to the max, but still the comp won't boot even at 2550MHz. :(
Here'a a screen shot I made juat after a 4M superPI. For some reason, the superpi font is illegible. I hope it went alright.
*img319.imageshack.us/img319/2186/3200winchester25ghz8pz.th.jpg

Thanks to both of ya guys for showing me the path :p
2.7GHz seems a long way now.

One question. I read somewhere that getting a blue screen means that u must increase ur vdimm or vcore. Is this true? and if so, which (vdimm or vcore) shud i increase? And another question: Is my mem and fsb running in sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom