POST passed, no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenmh

Right off the assembly line
About a week ago my computer shut down unexpectedly. When I tried to power it up again the power supply would start up the fans for a moment but shortly after it would shut down again. I trouble shot that problem and eventually decided to replace a bulging cap on my motherboard and that brings me to where I am now.

After replacing the capacitor my system starts up with all my hardware connected (2 sata hd's, 2x512 geil mem, geforce 6600 card, ide cdrom) I get a correct POST beep but no video signal.

I've tried reseating the memory and video card several times as well as trying all combinations of using one and both sticks of memory. I have cleared the cmos and tried to start up without a drive connected but nothing has changed.

A couple observations: the video card gets hot after running for awhile, while I don't notice any change in the cpu's heat sink. The chipset heatset also gets extremely hot. I'm not sure if this means anything about where I may be stuck.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice as to what to try/replace next. The motherboard is of the Asus socket 939 AMD variety.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
If you dont want to spend more money get the same make motherboard( or even better) and you can use the proccy.
Repairing the MB most of the times proves as costly as a new one.
If you have cash to spare..go indulge yourself!
There is nothing like upgrading !

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You seem to be an experienced user and have gone about this logically. Some suggestions -

Does your motherboard have onboard video ? If so, have you tried connecting your monitor to that (after removing your 6600 card) ? If not, do you have any other gfx card - even an old PCI one ?

Does your IDE access light come on after POST ?

If you can get hold of another PSU, preferably one from a working computer, try it with that. It occasionally happens that a failing PSU can go through the POST, but not have enough juice to go further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom