portable operating system with our own programmes in a cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I want to know whether it is possible to install the operating system on cd and other programmes which I require and take this CD wherever I want to work and use. :?:

praka123

left this forum longback
Thats were U want to see Open Source And Linux.get puppy Linux.its meagre
~61MB and in a cd U can carry it nywhere,wrie datas from this "cd" OS.more details:
*www.goosee.com/puppy/
*www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1
Use Linux!get rid of that $$$ OS with full viruses and crippled...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Puppy linux is a very good solution to your problem, if you prefer to use linux. It can be written as many times as you want or till your cd fails to write. It scores very high on portability and you have to configure it only once, then you can save the config to the cd.
Vishal does Bart PE support multiseesioning ie can the config files be re-written and can we add more files later on? Is there any space left on the cd after burning it with OS?
But, I guess it serves ramakrishnan's purpose.

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Thank you guys. I am now downloading Puppy Linux. Another one which I have tried, but only useful for playing multimedia files is Geexbox from *geexbox.org/. It plays almost all the formats and free and boots off CD Rom

Can you suggest a tutorial site for the above. Thank you

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Don't waste your time with puppy linux if you don't know linux, which I assume is true, coz if you knew you wouldn't be asking this question.
Go what vishal suggestred - BartPe , this basically makes a 'live'/bootable version of xp. you can add your custom programs with relative ease. and make sure to download for the 'plugin maker/creater for BartPe.

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I agree with chess. I am not conversant with Linux. But the os, when booted from the live cd(which I had downloaded), was really good. If anybody is interested here is a link for all livecd's *www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=Desktop&sort=&sm=1.

mehulved

chesss linux doesn't require big mumbo jumbo or something geek thiking to learn. It only requires time and willingness to learn. Installing and using linux today has been made a lot easier and is improving quite fast. And live cd's are very easy to use. Do try out one and see for yourself.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Can one install puppy linux in a pendrive?? I have a 256 MB Pendrive. I guess Puppy can be installed onto a hard drive! so why not install it in a pen drive? the problem might be the file system of a pendrive correct me if im wrong. thanks

mehulved

I guess this should work. Haven't tried it myself. I think the site is still under construction.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
chesss linux doesn't require big mumbo jumbo or something geek thiking to learn. And live cd's are very easy to use. Do try out one and see for yourself.
True true, but the thing is he wants to install 'own programmes' in his portable OS, which is not possible with a live cd. And even if its possible , it would take considerable knowlegde of things to customize a live cd. Besides bart PE is much simpler, and it would give access to NTFS/fat without using mount.
Yes i know mount /dev//hda is simple enough, but then it again comes down to 'uncustomizability 'of live linux.
Lastly its possible to integrate drivers(like for display), startup programs etc with bartPE. I am not saying linux isn't customizable, but its more difficult for a windows guy.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@tech_your_future thanks a lot. my puppy is up and running on a 512MB flash drive :mrgreen:

sknowonweb

Journeyman
And for booting from Pen Drive i suggest slax . www.slax.org . This is really cool . It has a very active forum to solve ur doubts.But only the size is somewhat bigger than puppy linux.
Any how if u have some deeper knwledge u can have ur own version of ur own (Linux) softwares ..

mehulved

Hey chesss that's y i told u to have a look at puppy. You can esaily install extra software to the cd and guess what you need not know how to make your own custom cd. It can only be done if you've made a multisession cd. And that's the bauty of puppy. That's why Prakash recommended it in first place and I seconded.
Do go to its site and read a bit about it.
Puppy is totally customisable and that too easily if you can make a little effort to read how-tos. Even a nwbie will be able to do it.
Don't mind bad bad do look and think twice before you speak out, you haven't had a look at puppy linux have you.

Charangk that's great. I hope you have made a multisession cd. You can also add softwares to the live cd.
Do not forget to save the config first time you use the cd, if you haven't already done so. So, you won't need to do it again at all. Everything will be ready for you next time.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@tech_your_future strange problem occoured first time when i burnt the imageusing a samsung DVD writer. I Burnt the ISO image using nero, the data was wirtten but when i checked the disc content nothing was there :shock: disc property showed 610+ MB free space and when checked with nero it showed 64MB used and the resr as free. the disc didnt even boot. ne way i converted it to nero image format and burnt it using my Combo drive and then it worked. strange isnt it. Puppy is a breez to install with minimum knowledge of linux required. Even making the flash-puppy is simple. I guess i wont be using the live CD insted i will be using the flash disc.

Now I have to figure out to configure the ethernet and dataone. I tried it once but it was unsuccesful. any Solution tech_your_future??

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Actually I have tried puppy, but the resolution/refresh rate I got made it unusable( I didn't know linux then). But since you are insisting so much and since puppy is customizable(which I was not aware of earlier).

But I still stand by that bartPE is super easy.

mehulved

charnagk you can have a look at desertwind's post in the open source section on how to configure dataone on linux, it is a very good post and has been made a sticky. If that doesn't help you just post your problem there someone will help yuo out.
And about cd burning problem I have my doubts on Samsung. Samsung drives are the worst. You can check the forum for the proof of that and I too have a samsung drive, a combo drive which behaves too erratically.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Thanks for the reply tech_your_future I will go through the thread you mentioned. the samsung DVD writer isnt mine, I have it for just a few days to burn some DVD's , the drive works fine with burning DVD cant say about CD's.

EDIT:

I want to Make a XP Pro sp2 installation DVD with hotfixes. I guess I can use nlite for the hotfix integration. Is it possible to integrate all the Chipset/Graphics/modem/ethernet/Audio drivers directly in to the main installer? if yes can anyboby explain how to do so.
thanks

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I have already customised a CD using Bart PE. But the problem is it is very crude. It just gives access to the hard drive and possibly one can use DVD/CD writer and take backups. But my question was just like a linux Live CD, I wanted a winxp pro Live Cd with all my favourite programmes and I should be able to use it just as LIVE CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom