Port forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharat_r

In the zone
When I download torrents I get very low download speeds.
After searching in google I found out port forwarding must be done.

I can not understand how to do it.
google results tells me to enter the router configration & forward the ports.
I don't know what router my ISP uses.
I have a Hathway 256 kbps connection.

Can anyone tell be how to go about it.

Thamks!!!

digen

Youngling
I highly doubt forwarding ports will increase torrent download speed.What I gather it could be lack of resources hosting that torrent or some other issue you are facing if thats not the case.

Port forwarding has to be carried out from the web/telnet router interface.

Which router has the ISP given you?
I don't know what router my ISP uses.
I believe from the above that you dont have the router with you instead your ISP has it in which case you cant do anything about it.

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
Thanks for ur reply.

digen said:
What I gather it could be lack of resources hosting that torrent or some other issue you are facing if thats not the case.

There were about 40 seeders & 190 peers in the swam but I could connect to only 5 seeders & 17 peers.It happens like that.
I've tried with many torrent clients but it does not connect to all the peers/seeders avaliable.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
You need not be connected to all the seeds and peers for that file while downloading. It is possible that your isp has enabled nat in ur router or web distributor. If u have such a device at ur premises, let us know of its make, since different devies use different OS and hence different commands to enable port forwarding.

To see if a nat is preventing remote connections to reach you, use azureus to download a torrent and check the handy nat status icon in it. Each color will tell u about the tracker and nat. Green icon is OK while a yellow one means nat error.

One more reason for it could do with "choking" in the BT protocol. Each peer connected, including you, will have a set number of upload and download slots that can be open at a time. In addition to this, the protocol intrinsically chokes (or blocks) data requesting peers based on the client's own upload speed, the remote client's upload speed to you and other parameters.
In addition to all this, the clients themselves will have many other files that they are seeding or leaching.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
hmm... Hatway = cable modem. So I dont think there are any router settings as such in your modem for you to tweak. Talk to your ISP in this case Hathway and ask them to open ports if they are blocking them I know Sify did which is also a cable modem based ISP.

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
yes I have a cable modem.
Why does Hathway close all the ports?

The face is yellow in Azureus.
It was green a few days back just for a few hours & again turned yellow :(

digen

Youngling
If its a cable modem then you dont have any other options other than requesting the ISP to open specific ports for you.
Why do they close ports?
A ISP policy is what it may be called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom