How is the Thread?

• Mods, please make it as a Sticky.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
-=-=-=-Port Forwarding for D-Link DSL-502T Router,Complete Procedure for MTNL Users-=-=-=-

Ok people, here is a Tutorial (which is a compilation of many of my searches through google). so I thought of making this tutorial which now covers the MTNL's D-LINK Router model: DSL 502T
Ok, enough of talking now, so lets go straight to the P.O.A (point of action).
================================================================================================
================================================================================================
NOTE-1: I have made use of uTORRENT and D-LINK ROUTER DSL 502T for PORT FORWARDING.

Before we can forward ports for Utorrent, we need to figure out what ports uTORRENT is using. Here is a brief walkthrough on how to do that.

a.) Go ahead and open up uTORRENT.
b.) Click OPTIONS in the menu at the top of your screen. In the list that drops down click PREFERENCES.
c.) Click CONNECTIONS on the left hand side of the uTORRENT program. You should now see the menu. Make sure the Enable UPnP box is unchecked. The number in the "Port Used for Incoming Connections" box contains the port you need to forward. You can change the port number, if you want to.
d.) Keep this number written onto a piece of paper ( this number will be used in STEP-2:Port Forwaring in D-LINK ROUTER DSL 502T, point (g)).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Port Forwarding can improve ur speeds when u download through Torrent clients.

The 2 most critical steps (i say critical, because only the Correct settings will allow you to Forward ports) in PORT FORWARDING are:

1.) Setting up your STATIC IP.
2.) Port Forwaring.

NOTE-2: STEP-1 is important in order to proceed with STEP-2.
You will still hav a Dynamic IP despite setting up a Static IP because your LAN (internal) IP will act as your Static IP.

NOTE-3: Goto Start > Run > cmd > type ipconfig /all > Press "enter key".Note down all the details (on a piece of paper) like:

a.) IP ADDRESS:
b.) SUBNET MASK:
c.) DEFAULT GATEWAY:
d.) DHCP SERVER:
e.) DNS SERVER (also known as NAME SERVER):
f.) HOST NAME:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP-1:Setting up your STATIC IP
I hope people know How to Find your Static IP, for any difficulty
Please goto this link www.portforward.com
To enter your static IP once you have found it out from the above site:

goto START > CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK CONNECTIONS > select the connection which you use for INTERNET > right click and select PROPERTIES > on the GENERAL tab, select TCP/IP and click PROPERTIES >

in the GENERAL tab (again which will come up) > click on "Use the following IP address:" > Enter the STATIC IP(found from the site www.portforward.com) in the IP address field and also enter your Subnet mask, default gateway
(the same numbers from NOTE-3) in their respective fields.
also enter the Preferred and Alternate DNS Server as shown in the picture. Click "OK" all the way out of this menu.

*img7.pictiger.com/9c4/14350853_th.jpg

You have now setup your STATIC IP.

NOTE-4: Please DO NOT copy my IP ADDRESS from the above picture of TCP/IP. It may be different when you find it out from www.portforward.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP-2:Port Forwaring in D-LINK ROUTER DSL 502T

a.) Goto *192.168.1.1

b.) Enter login:admin and password:admin

*img7.pictiger.com/3b5/14350847_th.jpg

*img7.pictiger.com/0a8/14350848_th.jpg

c.) Click ADVANCED > LAN CLIENTS > Enter the IP ADDRESS( STATIC IP ADDRESS found from STEP-1:Setting up your STATIC IP)
and HOST NAME (found from NOTE-3:) in their respective fields.

*img7.pictiger.com/278/14350850_th.jpg

d.) Click "ADD".

e.) Goto VIRTUAL SERVER > in the "CATEGORY" click "USER" (as of now the "AVAILABLE RULES" box will be empty).

f.) Click on Add (at the bottom). Give a name to the rule in the rule box.

g.)Enter protocol TCP; then enter the port number (found from NOTE-1:, point (C)) you want forwarded in "Port Start", "Port End" and in the "Port Map" fields (same port number should be in all 3 fields.) > Click APPLY.

g.) Click on VIRTUAL SERVER > Click on the rule name you just entered & click on "ADD" (right side). Click Apply.

h.) Goto Tools > System > Save and Reboot.

i.) Restart your computer. You should have forwarded ports now. Now ur Torrent Client can accept incoming connections & u can get better speeds.

Do tell me how was the Information and if any more pictures are needed to make it more clearer. :)

Added More screenies for µTORRENT

1.) At first, if you haven't done any PORT FORWARDING on your Router and for µTORRENT for that matter, when you open up µTORRENT for the first time, you will notice a GREEN Exclaimation mark at the bottom of the µTORRENT screen: (see below screenshot and the portion encircled in BLUE):

*img7.pictiger.com/f12/14427093_th.jpg

===========================================================================

2.) Once, you have FORWAREDED the PORT (as given above) and when you again Open µTORRENT, a GREEN tick mark will be present at the same position (bottom of µTORRENT screen,see below screenshot and the portion encircled in BLUE):

*img7.pictiger.com/e0f/14427094_th.jpg

===========================================================================

3.) To check (through µTORRENT) if PORT is FORWARDED or no, goto Options > Speed Guide (shortcut Ctrl+G) > Click on "Test if port is Forwarded Properly". (see below screenshot):

*img7.pictiger.com/fb5/14427095_th.jpg

==========================================================================

4.) If, PORT is FORWARDED properly, you will get a Confirmation page (See below screenshot):

*img7.pictiger.com/4f2/14427097_th.jpg

==========================================================================

5.) To optimise your µTORRENT for better downloading (Yuo may follow the setting as shown below) by going to Options > Preferences > Connections.

*img7.pictiger.com/ae1/14427096_th.jpg

=========================================================================

This TuT was originally modified on 6th March, 2008 and again on 13th August, 2008.

Cheers n e-peace....

Last edited:

megatrebuchet

Right off the assembly line
Props on the very instructive tutorial.
Now if you dont mind a little bit of help will be appreciated
I currently have a
DSL 502 t mtnl
DIR 615 wireless n router
A macbook running
osx 10.5.2
little snitch
firewall set to accept all connections
799 unlimited mtnl connection
I added 192.168.0.136 to my dhcp reserved list on the wireless router set it as the static ip address on my macbook.
But for some reason when I do this it does not let me connect to the internet at all let alone download torrents.

V

vaibhavtek

Nice tutorial.
but i think u must not post a poll with a tutorial...!!

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^ well, there is no rule that says to post a poll along with the tutor, though.

@ ashu888ashu888, very well written dude. :)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ to all
THanx for ur comments guys (be it negative as well as encouraging ) :)

@mega:

Buddy, did u find out ur static IP address from portforward.com ? (as given in ut 1st post) ? coz if u hv a D LINK DSL 502T Router (as u are saying) then the above TuT will work exactly 100% for u buddy,

a.) Find ur Static IP address
b.) Once done, please follow up all the instructions (step-by-step) as given in the TuT.

Do tell me in wat part u are getting a problem..

Note: I haven't tested it for MAC Oses, so cant comment on that but will try to post my reply if i get one.. :)

Cheers n e-peace...

connectinfomedia

Problem accessing certain websites with browser, but can Ping them

Hi,

I have this strange problem.
Cant access certain sites (hotmail, dowload.com, apple.com and some more) with IE & Ff, both in XP & 98. A hanful of them can be accesed with Opera/ Safari.
I can ping the sites though.
Using a BSNL DataOne Broadband (Router DlinkGLB 502T).
Looks like a router problem, else why would it happen with multiple OS/ Browser. I havent tweaked with the router, jst using the bare minimum configs required.

Thanks

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

Are u sure ur third party firewall (if any) is not blocking them??

Also, is this problem started off lately(within a week)??? or its been around for a long time(months) ??

It has nothing to do with port forwarding though.. :) There might be a firewall option for ur router so plz check if its ON by going to ur router home page.. :)

Cheers n e-peace...

DeonNZ007

Hi Where can I find this part (Preferred and Alternate DNS Server) in the tut that is highlighted below. I've got all the other numbers and addresses but I do not know where to find this.

goto START > CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK CONNECTIONS > select the connection which you use for INTERNET > right click and select PROPERTIES > on the GENERAL tab, select TCP/IP and click PROPERTIES >

in the GENERAL tab (again which will come up) > click on "Use the following IP address:" > Enter the STATIC IP(found from the site www.portforward.com) in the IP address field and also enter your Subnet mask, default gateway
also enter the Preferred and Alternate DNS Server as shown in the picture. Click "OK" all the way out of this menu.

Regards

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
Hi Where can I find this part (Preferred and Alternate DNS Server) in the tut that is highlighted below. I've got all the other numbers and addresses but I do not know where to find this.

call your ISP support they will give you DNS ips

or else try using opendns ips, 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

_

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

Regards

U can type in the same Preferred and Alternet DNS (as mentioned in my TuT) ONLY if ua re using MTNL TRIBAND and there will not be any problem in that :)

Cheers n e-peace....

vineetv

ashu plzz help me
im using mtnl broadband
router d-link glb 502 t

i m not able to port foorward

u said to find static ip add from portforward.com
bottom it is written ur external ip add is 59.265.....something

is this is static ip add
u hav written ur ip add as last .196 in

mine is written 192.168.1.2
all r same as urs

plzz can u gind sceen shots of dlink glb 502t

for last 10 days everyone is saying same steps im not able to foollow plz help

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
do not worry buddy, will try my best to solve ur problem :)

so here it goes...

1.) ur external IP address is not the same as ur internal IP address so it simple means External IP address= Dynamic IP address and Internal IP address=Static IP address and it is this Static (internal IP) address you need to port forward ur router.

2.) Go here this is the page u need to find out ur static IP.

*www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

select wich OS u hv and then clik on it and read on..( i assume u use WIn XP)

a.) first, open command prompt (START > Run > type cmd and press enter)
navigate to C: drive by typing 'cd\' (cd and backslash icon without the colons) and press enter.

b.) now, u are in the main C drive directory. Now type 'ipconfig /all' (without the commas and there is a space b/w 'ipconfig' and '/all') and press enter.

c.) it will hv the text as follows:

Windows IP Configuration
host name:
IP address:
subnet mask:
default gateway:
DNS servers:
-------------------------------------
write all of these details onto a piece of paper and keep it aside as it wil be used later on and also post it here for me.. :)

d.) then see this page:

*www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/GLB-502T/default.htm

-----------------

Psot it here if u hv any problems..

cheers n e-peace...

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

no probs.. waiting for ur problems so tat i can try my level best to solve them efficiently and make u happy .. :)

vineetv

yes problem solved tnks a lot for this thread

a little help more how to inc. utorrent speed more by doing some settings in utorrent

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
im glad, i helpd u :)

now, b4 answering ur query related to speed, first i wud like to knw wats ur net connection speed ?

if u hv a 256 Kbps broadband (dsL) connection, then u shud set upload speed to 8-9 KBps by goin to options > preferences > connection.

also, the speed of the file u are d/loading via torrent depends:

1.) ratio of seeders to leechers (it shud be greater than 1) i.e more the seeders as compared to lesser no,. of leechers, the betyter chances u hv of d/loading the file at a good speed.

2.) the speed at wich the uploaders (seeders) are uploading their files, so even if u hv a d/load speed of say 25KBps (25 KBps= 25 x 8 = 200 kbps) and the uploader (Seeder) is uploading at say jus 5 KBps, then u'll hv to settle for that speed for d/load...

3.) since u hv port forwarded, u hv actuallly dedicated a port (a constant adn permanent port) to let to and fro communications with ur torrent client a.k.a uTorrent for sharing of files..

4.) torrent speed also depends on the type of application tat u are d/loading
--- for games, the speed of dl varies and fluctuates a lot (coz games are of largers file sizes and are also broken into 100 of parts).
-- for applications the dl speed is almost constant. (as there are less files to be d/loaded)
-- for movies the dl speed is also constant. (as there are less files to be d/loaded)

-----------------------
-----------------------

as a rough idea, read this, i hv a 256 kbps MTNL triband Night UL connection and i get

-- 190-200 kbps d/load speed for a well seeded torrent file. wen d/loading applications.
-- 190-210 kbps ----------------------ditto---------------------------- movies
-- 160-190 kbps ----------------------ditto---------------------------- games.

======================

cheers n e-peace....

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
nice. but there is a generic way of port forwarding using telnet in windows. had posted it some where in here. just put that also together here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom