PnP OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Almost all new OSs now support the Plug and Play feature like Windows XP and most of the Linux.

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
Sorry if I was not clear! Both theraven and pradeep_chauhan are correct, I saw the option of enabling PnP OS in BIOS menu and wanted to know which Operating Systems fall in this catagory. As far as I know PnP OS has the ability to chose the boot options itself rather than the BIOS.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
no no plug and play os does something called a dynamic allocation of irq and address so one does not have to configure any dip switch on a card like we used to do in old ISA cards.

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
Thanx for the information pradeep_chauhan. But still, could someone tell me which Operating Systems fall in this catagory? :?:

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
sure any linux distro with kernel 2.4.12 any beyond windows 98 SE win 2000 win xp ,BEOS, BSD 5.2 Solaris 9 , almost all the new OS are plug and play

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan said:
sure any linux distro with kernel 2.4.12 any beyond windows 98 SE win 2000 win xp ,BEOS, BSD 5.2 Solaris 9 , almost all the new OS are plug and play

"beyond windows 98 SE win 2000 win xp" ? That means Win 2000 & Win XP home/Win XP Pro are not PnP?

theraven

Technomancer
beyond win 95 ...
means from all versions of windows that supported PnP
win 95 later versions supported it .. but it wasnt as good
thats y we say from win 98 onwards
so this includes win 98,win2k,winme,winxp,win2k3
and linux distros as he mentioned ...
and yeah pradeep was right
that option in the BIOS was for PnP compatible OS's ...
its to be disabled for OS's which do not support PnP
i was unsure of this at first but i looked it up !

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
I'll tell you what I'm really after! You see I'v been running a thread under the name DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in the QnA section since a few days back.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7653

If you follow the link you'll see freshseasons suggested me to check for PnP OS option as one of the possible remedies for my problem. I enabled the option in BIOS but that did not fix the problem. So I wanted to make sure whether my OS (Windows XP Pro) falls in the PnP catagory or not. Now that you have the complete story could any of you guyes post a solution for my actual problem in the QnA section? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom