Plsss help..Which 1 is better????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipak15

Broken In
Hi frnds,

I hve Intel Chipset 845GV Motherboard...n intel P4 2.66 GHz Processor,,,,

I wana to know Which 1 is better regarding performance????---256 DDR @400 MHz Frequency RAM or 384 DDR @266 MHz(128DDR @266MHz + 256DDR @ 266MHz) RAM.....

plsssss help me out......which 1 frm the above is better regarding performance???

Wa8ing 4 ur help...

Regards,
Deepak

shaunak

Tux Fan
Still lemme answer your query:

First calculate the bandwidth of you RAM
You just take the the speed the RAM is clocked at, double it then multiply by 8. And if you're running dual channel mode, you double it again.

DDR-200: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 100 MHz
DDR-266: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 133 MHz
DDR-333: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 166 MHz
DDR-400: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 200 MHz

Bandwidth basically means how much data [1 & 0s'] can be crammed in simultaneously by you OS. Greater the bandwidth better the performance [less chances of hanging/lagging]
But on the filp you will run out of memory sooner due to the smaller capacity.
[Think of this as a pipline and a tank, no use of a bigger pipe if the tank is full.]

If you:
> do video editing or use any other resource heavy application [3d editing, cad, simulators] in which a little "lag" is tolerable, go for greater ammount of memory.

>for performance, gamming and future upgradibility's sake go for greater bandwidth.

OP
D

dipak15

Broken In
Thanx Shaunak

Actually scenerio is dat I already hve both 128 @266MHz and 256 @ 266MHz...n using both of them 4 last 1 yr...but now my 256 @ 266MHz crashed..... n it is in warranty period....so i can get a replacement 4 it...

So plss help dat whether now i ask my dealer to replace it as 256 DDR @ 266 or 400 MHz.....also i dont think so 256 wid 266MHz come in the market....so by deafault i think my dealer gimme a 256 @ 400MHz RAM....I think so........

So dats y asking which 1 to get frm my dealer 256 DDR @ 266MHz or 256 DDR @ 400MHz.......In case if i 'll get 256 DDR @ 400MHz ,,,,i think my 128 DDR @266MHz...may go to junk yard...as i dont thing 2 RAM's wid diff frequency work together......

So help me frnds finally which 1 to opt??????

Wa8ing

Regard's
Deepak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom