Pls Give Me Some Infos... about linux ...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipul

Broken In
Hi all

i m new 4 linux

and i dont know how to download it

can ne1 tell me all versions of linux are free???

and how can i download it...??

and i heard about fc3 is it free or not...??

and if u've more basic informations of linux plese tell me..

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
hey vipul get any older digit mag from sumone...

Jan '05 : Fedora Core 3
Dec '04 : Ubuntu (supposedly the best)
Nov '04 : Free BSD
Sep '04 : Knoppix
Oct '04 : ELX BizDesktop

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
@vipul, why do you want an operating system for FREE? Aren't you willing to pay for your copy of GNULinux distro? Many good distributions come with boxed packs, you might want to use such a setup.

cool_dude_prav said:
Dec '04 : Ubuntu (supposedly the best)
That's just want i think.!! :) but then pradeep says Gentoo is the best... tuxfan says PCQLinux is the best :) :) :)

right now on distrowatch, Ubuntu is at first place for the data span of last one month.

nixcraft

Journeyman
Yes purchasing low cost boxes will help to keep going the development forever. Anyways if you have access to net then it is not a big deal or get mag or book with cd or just contact local LUG they gives lots of cds may be free or writing+cd charge

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Guys Gentoo is the best can you beat this to install gento the iso file image that you need to download is just 50MB yes only Fifty MB. so any one even with a dial up (painful though) can start up with gentoo.

tuxfan

Technomancer
But why do you want to download at all!! Just ask a few friends or local LUG and you will be flooded with response for distro CDs :) Alternatively, just start a thread here and see the responses.

I haven't seen Ubutu or Gentoo, but I feel all single CD distros will be limited in terms of packages and functionalities. Why not go for some full fledged distro like Mandrake, SuSE, Fedora Core and yes of course PCQ Linux?

GNUrag said:
@vipul, why do you want an operating system for FREE? Aren't you willing to pay for your copy of GNULinux distro? Many good distributions come with boxed packs, you might want to use such a setup.
Probably because he has even got his copy of Windows for free ;) And when something is available for free, why pay for it? That is the general attitude in most (including me)!

I would suggest get hold of a copy of Knoppix/Gnoppix and have a look. You don't need to install anything. No need to mess around with hard disk partitions and installations. Just boot from the CD. If you want it, I can send it to you. Or ask GNUrag :D

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
tuxfan Bhai
Gentoo is just 50MB its so so small how can it have any packages / functionality? You are right its realy not "full fledged distro like "

tuxfan

Technomancer
thank you pradeep bhai for agreeing with me :) Since it is not a full fledged distro, I am recommending some other distro that will give him true taste of what it is like :D

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
tuxfan
I thought you will catch the pun intended but i think you have not may be you do not know much about gentoo. So not to worry here goes...
Gentoo is a full fledged distro. Its diffrent from all other linux distro in the form that all the software that you want is complied and installed at your system specifiv to your hardware (some thing like home cooked food). So to start the installation of gentoo you have to choose a "Stage" which are from stage 1 to 5 stage 5 is the type of installation simmilar to fedora etc. in stage 1/2 you just download the boot strap and the gcc compiler then you build up your system ground up this is the reason that the download is just 50 MB. The advantage you gain by going through all this is firstly you have a highly customised and personalised setup Secondly its fast and very lean thus giving you very good performance. The other good thing about gentoo is the package management gentoo used portage / emerge where you can search for a package and install it all in a single command no problems of dependancy or half installed packages. So as you keep building your system the source files are downloaded from the net compiled on your system using the custom settings for the compiler specified by you (called Flags) and the package is installed.
The only draw back of gentoo is that its not a starters linux (i know this guy is a starter but could not resist ) it takes some effort to set/ run gentoo.
End of class.

h4xbox

Journeyman
I recommend knoppix 3.6 becoz its a gr8 distro. It is also a full fledged distro ..know what its a live distro tht contains nearly 2 gb of packages in a single cd.

Unlike fedora or redhat its much more user friendly like windows. I feel like im working in windows when im in linux(Knoppix) . it is really kewl.. i just cant explain more.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I wonder why people compare linux with windows? "..........like windows" Why? Can a OS have its own identity ? You know what is the biggest pain ..... no .....its being born after someone say in a family (being born after someone say your brother is not your fault). Then it starts ....see he is like his elder brother .... he does it like his brother ..... he looks like his f----ng brother why? why? Can one have his own identity? what life is when you are being measured to someone else? This is a pain that cannot be expressed but can only be ....
Any way same is with an OS. Linux is a complete OS in its own right Please dont compare it with some .... Give it its due. If you want windows by all means go and install windows use it and enjoy. Why to go for a clone or something that not the real thing something that fakes another thing why?
Accept linux as it is accept it for its virtues its pitfalls and not for what it can fake or emulate.

h4xbox

Journeyman
LOLZ !!! I think pradeep is totally supporting linux..i prefer windoze for user frendly environment..and for connecting to net..otherwiese security or something else i boot knoppix..without any doubt it makes me feel as iam in windowz

demoninside

In the zone
hey h4xbox
if u say windows is most user friendly then give a try to mandrake 10.1,
man it's like when u hv born with some thing u r that,
like if u would hv been born in my family then u would hv been a Snskrit speaker as well as english speaker,
so wht u say hv any idea about this,
so guy just before u make any comment try to stick on some thing for some time.

tuxfan

Technomancer
First of all thanks pradeep_chauhan for the class on Gentoo. You have increased my knowledge. Admittedly, I didn't know so much about gentoo. :)

Secondly, if I have to keep downloading from the net so much :shock: if I want to install gentoo :shock: I will never try it :shock:

I agree that the comparison between Windoze and Linux sucks!! Kaha raja bhoj (Linux) aur kaha gangoo teili (Windows) :D :D

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
No you dont keep downloading from the net. See the download is only when you want to install a new package or upgrade an existing one. Also the download is a source file which is much smaller than the bin file that you would normally download.

Gentoo is also called a debian killer.

So to install or not to install the choice is totaly yours i just wanted to tell you guys as to what new is available.

demoninside

In the zone
Sure buddy,
if u r realy serious about looking towards great
LOOK & FEEL nd yes towards user friendly,

U can run DivX, Xvid, WMV, MP3 or WMA
no prob in DVD &VCD's
Grear documentation included
can go for programming as all is given under,
for ripping DVD's u need one soft which u hv to download,
any way but each & every thing needs some time so try to use it as much as u can,
and for help we r here,
be care full with installation a bit...
nd then tell here...

tuxfan

Technomancer
pradeep_chauhan said:
No you dont keep downloading from the net. See the download is only when you want to install a new package or upgrade an existing one. Also the download is a source file which is much smaller than the bin file that you would normally download.

Gentoo is also called a debian killer.

So to install or not to install the choice is totaly yours i just wanted to tell you guys as to what new is available.

But at least initially, we have to download all the packages that we want to install. Isn't it?

Secondly, if its a source file, its needs to be compiled and then it can be install. So most newbies will have trouble doing it :(

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
@tuxfan the compilation is taken care by the ports management system. You just have to have a cup of coffee and some sandwiches while the messages are printed on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom