Pls advise on Sony PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
guys, i'm thinking of gng for the Sony PSP. however, i have a few doubts....

1. is the music quality gud enuf for it to replace my Transcend T.Sonic 610??
2. is the video playback gud?
3. can we install softwares on it (created specifically for the PSP)
4. whats the approx cost of the PSP and PSP Slim if I get it from authorised dealers (since i'd definitely want warranty on this)
5. keeping the price diff in mind, which should i go for, PSP or Slim?
6. how much memory does it come with?? what're the costs of Sony duo memory sticks? what about the local made memory sticks?

awaiting replies eagerly

amitava82

MMO Addict
I have a PSP Slim.. Its awesome :cool:

1. In terms of music quality, It beats My ZEN and My fiend's Zune. I tested with my Sony MDR-EX51 ear bud. It sounds so perfect. You don't need a mp3 player anymore. BUT it does not support multi-level folder. So if you want to put MP3 in it, the folder structure must be: \MUSIC\<artist directory>\<all mp3s files> or \MUSIC\<All mp3 files>. 1st structure is better if you want to put 100s of mp3s. its easy to browse artist wise.

2. Video.. Ah.. Whats a Screen... Best screen I have seen on a portable device.

3. Now thats a problem. Sony as usual, do not want people to mess around with their devices. BUT there is a way around. You have to install custom firmware. Thats a expensive process unless you know someone who has a PSP with custom firmware. I had to invest $26 to buy a spare PSP batery. Yes! you need a extra battery to install custom firmware. That will allow you to do all those stuffs that Sony don't want you to do. :wink: further details I guess you can google

4. I don't know the price in India. I've got a PSP slim Daxter edition for $190 when it was released...

5. Go Slim.. its slimmer, lighter and it has 32 MB more RAM. And ofcourse its new model.

6. It does not come with any internal memory. So, you have to buy a memory stick. Do NOT buy any chinees made memory card. Make sure it supports MagicGate. I remommend a 4 GB. Sandisk Ultra II. I got it for around $40 from ebay. Be really careful when you buy memory card from ebay or any other online stores. You really need 4GB atleast. 8 GB are really expensive.

Hope that helps :)

OP
xbonez

xbonez

NP : Crysis
hmm.....thnx for answering my queries. points 1 n 2 reassure me greatly..however the others..........i dunno

memory is gonna be xpensive. even if i do go in for a 2gb one, i'll only manage mp3s and videos in that much....

lets say i dl a .iso image of a UMD disc (for ease of convenience, lets assume its legal). now to use it on the PSP, i'll need a virtual disc sw, right? something like daemon for PCs. would that also need a firmware upgrade??

amitava82

MMO Addict
As I said you can not install any software in original firmware, so no, you can not play back up. Thats the whole point of custom firmware. Sony won't allow execution of unsigned applications on PSP. BTW any homebrew software on PSP is executed like PSP game. Its not like you install something and it will apper on menu. All the applications you install, goes to game menu and are treated like a game..

You really need 4GB since all the new ISOs are more than 1GB

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
PSP Slim for around 8.5k. Since its replacing the original PSP, the original isn't available anymore. Its definitely recommended to go for the Slim version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom