Please tell me how to uninstall Messenger in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
Hello,
Whenever I see the task manager.. i find a msmsgs.exe file running. I found it's the messenger thats bundled with XP. But when i stop it, it starts again on its own! I searched for that file.. and i dint find any! How do i remove this file and therby stopping it from runnning!
Please help me!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Actually there is an option to uninstall the messenger in Add/Remove Components in Control Panel.

But its HIDDEN and u hv to edit a file to make it visible.

Open the file %windir%\inf\sysoc.inf and then remove all the instances of the word HIDE in file.

Now save it and when U'll open add/remove windows components, u'll see an option to uninstall the messenger as well as many new other options too. :wink:

Netjunkie

In the zone
You can run this string to remove messenger.

"RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" (without quotes)

Source

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
other way is use XPLite.

This s/w allows u to remove many components, which u can't directly remove from windows :D

sknowonweb

Journeyman
the options menu

U can untick all checkboxes in the messengers option menu.Fiddle in the same and u can got messenger stop working in the background and removed from the task bar. Hovwer it is not uninstalled.and that msmsgs.exe is also not runs in task mngr.

This method is to stop messenger ,not to uninstal lit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom