club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
i have...
IP4 1.79 GHz
256 mb ram(32mb video shared)
865gv MotherBoard (intel extreme graphics2 with 2SATA ports)with HT
80 gb 7200rpm hdd
WIN XP PRO + SP2

my motherboard has 3 PCI slots. It also got the 8x agp engine(what the box and manual says), i can see the connectors but there's no AGP slot installed
*www.kobian.com/images/pr_mb/pr_mb_PI865GVM-L_b.jpg
i want to speed up my computer(esp 4 game play)

which things i should upgrade

theraven

Technomancer
get a new mobo with agp slot
and then get a good grapphics card
ofcourse make sure it supports ur processor
i think the 845 will do fine for u for now

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
there's no point going for a new mobo
just the AGP slot is missing....... can i get it installed??

imgame

Broken In
there is no way u can install a new AGP slot in ur mobo unless u engineer ur mobo from scratch ...i guess get a mobo like 865 GBF ....or some other 865 chipset varient ....with AGX slot ....with dual channel memory support ....and then as the raven said ...get a graphics card according to ur pocket ....and u have gaming machine .! ...i wouldn't suggest u to go to 845 chipset ....after u have tasted the blood of 865 chipset !

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
just look @ the pic.... the connectors are there... so (what i think) only the plastic socket has to be installed
it just had to be soldered

imgame

Broken In
oky .....so here we are .....u didn't tell what motherboard is that ...i mean company name and model no. ......but anyways i found out its mercury
PI865GVM-L .....here is the link tell me if i m wrong ..

*www.kobian.com/products.php?productid=425

now this mobo has intel 865GV chipset and u know what .....Intel 865 GV chipset doesn't support AGP 8X ...here is the intel link

*www.intel.com/design/chipsets/865GV/index.htm?iid=ipp_browse+chpsts_865gv&

now click on the image (intel hub architecture) that shows logic diagrams ....and how they interact...... there is no AGP 8x ....also there is no mention of AGP anywhere related to this chipset on intel website .....that is why(i guess) this is categorised as "VALUE CHIPSET " from intel guys ......now the chipset which has AGP 8X support is 865G (and not 865 GV) ...to verify this go the following link look in the image here in image and features u will find AGP 8X ....here is the link

*intel.com/design/chipsets/865g/index.htm?iid=ipp_browse+chpsts_865g&

so u don't have the AGP 8X ....that is the ...moral of all story ...and then why do u see the blank at agp 8X slot ????? ....that is because ..perhaps mercury is using the same PCB (printed circuit board ) to manufacture all the 865 chipset varients ....just doing minor adjustment for different other mobos ......see other motherboards in the list and u will see that clearly this motherboard has same layout as anyother board in category(coz of same PCB ) ........here is the link

*www.kobian.com/products.php?categoryid=12

So u can't add an AGP 8X slot in ur mobo as far as i know
coz ur chipset doesnot support it .! (and microteck guys are not great engineers like asus ....who got a breakthrough of acomplishing PAT technology in 865 chipset ...so i don't think there is any innovation involved here from microteck)........and microteck saying that it has AGP 8X engine (thats what u wrote) ....u can ask microteck what it means ....i can't unerstand that ! ......moreover ur mobo only intel extreme graphics
(not even intel extreme graphics 2) ...

so as far as i can understand the things u have to get a new mobo .......!

theraven

Technomancer
all said and done
in short : no u cant just add a plastic socket even if the connectors are there
ur bios just wont support it
and i dun think mobo bios's are available for flashin with soo much variance ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom