Please suggest - Opensource / Free / Non-MS file sharing site

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
OK, this may sound strange, anyway here is the requirement.

The school in which I studied, the students are making a website (that of school). I went there once and gave them instructions, also asked them to develop fully in an Open source environment.

Actually it was not a way of forcing, as they are supposed to use only Linux and related softwares (all schools in Kerala use Linux now), that is the reason I asked them that. If I ask them to use Windows or Dreamweaver, they will have to use pirated.

Anyway they completed the site and it is good so far. I will be uploading it to a LAMP server soon.

Everything sounds ok so far but they asked me whether I will be able to upload a CD - That is a video file of their annual day / silver jubilee celebrations. Like 650 MB.

Not many people will be able to download it and not many people will be interested in that, but some of my friends who are abroad now, asked me to upload it somewhere and provide link in the school website. My idea is to split the file and upload to some free online storage site.

I was using Skydrive (Belongs to MS) and it was working fine for me. Download managers supported, simultaneous download allowed, no waiting time, no restrictions etc.

But on a second thought, I think it will not be nice using Skydrive. Reason being, the site will be inaugurated in a public function and the school is giving coverage like - Website fully developed using open source technologies. And the server is also opensource. Now if the video is with MS site, it may not be good.

What do you think ? Any alternatives for Skydrive ? I know other file sharing sites like RS, mediafire, etc. But any site that gives all options like SkyDrive ?

Please suggest

Thanks in advance.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I have not seen what SkyDrive has to offer but I know some good replacements to RS like:

Drop.io - The service's slightly odd at first glance, but is very secure.
File Dropper - Serves you up to 5GB.
EatLime - Great for videos (has normal mode too) and serves up to 1 GB on registration.
Localhostr - Just 50 MB but quick uploads.

Other alternatives:
Box.net - *www.box.net/ (1GB)
KeepVault - *www.keepvault.com/ (25GB)
MediaMax - *www.mediamax.com/ (25GB)
DropBoks - *www.dropboks.com/ (1GB)

Edit:
Tried Filedropper personally, nice service. No wait times, etc and upto 5GB per file is really nice. Just don't know if its secure enough.

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Thanks a lot.

Checked some

Drop.io - 100 MB only :(

File Dropper is paid (trail for 7 days only)

Will check the other sites that you listed.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
if there is anthing like opensource file sharing, then its gotta be torrent
Also there is software - pando

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and comments.

Hmm

Seems no alternative for Skydrive :(

Checked most of the sites listed, but seems they are all like RS ..

@chesss

No, I never meant Torrent. Sorry, but that may not work in this case.

Will keep checking..

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
well this was recently in the news..
one can upload a torrent to imageshack which will then provide a http download link for the file. I am 99% sure this is how their service works..
If this works then this shld be ideal.

Seems no alternative for Skydrive
eww ofcourse there are Just look at the chart

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Yes, I have an Xdrive account (might be I selected US while signing up !), tried that, seems its ok.

Only difference I see now - Accessing files using Xdrive, the recipient need an XDrive account as well (in the case of Skydrive, we will get a public url). But this comes very close, mostly will go for it, or will create another account and will send the username / password to all .

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Yes, downloaded lot from Mediafire, but never tried uploading !

Is it good ? I mean will they delete the files due to inactivity for a long time ?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
For video sharing try Google Video

• Free and Reliable
  • Full control over Content.
  • Can be shared easily.
  • No upload Size limit.
  • can be downloaded
  • Can be watched instantly, no need to wait

Linux Users can download it into AVI file format.

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Thank you. But the problem is, video is 650 MB (1 CD full) and my friends want it like download fully (same quality etc). Is possible with google videos ?

I was thinking like, split the file to 6 or 7 pieces, and rar / zip it and upload. That was my plan.

Any other ideas ?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@din
it is re-encoded to around 800 kbps bitrate with the Divx 4
codec (for download) and 600 kbps FLV (Flash 8) for internet viewing in gvp format.

GVP uses the free Divx codec, which is freeware for encoding as well
as decoding

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Thank you. But the problem is, video is 650 MB (1 CD full) and my friends want it like download fully (same quality etc). Is possible with google videos ?

I was thinking like, split the file to 6 or 7 pieces, and rar / zip it and upload. That was my plan.

Any other ideas ?

Compress it to 295 MB XviD using AviDemux (two pass encoding based on size) and upload it to massmirror.com

Edit
No need, massmirror.com supports upto 1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom