Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSM

Right off the assembly line
Hi Dear All,
This is Rhishikesh and I have recently joined as a member here. Let me admit it first that I am a pharmacologist (a dumb professional really!) and not a techie. So this is an SOS for some advice.
I have recently purchased a HP machine at my office. The Config is.
P IV 2.8 HT, Intel 865 chipbased motherboard.
80 GB HDD@7200 RPM etc.etc.
I had ordered 512 MB RAM for the same. Now my problems started. The standard config of the machine had only 256 MB RAM bundled. The vendor offered me the upgrade (not free!) to 512 MB RAM. The chap is giving me a RAM chipset of 256MB@400MHz and other chipset of 256MB@266MHz.
Now could somebody please tell me whether I should accept this deal or not? Will those additional 256MB @266MHz be compatible/useful?
and Is 256MB RAM@400MHz available in market? (My vendor told me that they are not available. Is he correct or he is taking me to a ride?)
Thanx in anticipation
Rhishi

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
First of all, welcom to the community !! :)
Now for ur queries :
No, 2 RAM modules of different frequencies cannot be used in conjunction. 256 MB RAM modules running at 400 MHz are easily available in th market. Do some research, talk to people who hv bought a computer and try talking to other dealers, whether they are able to provide u th RAM modules.

OP
R

RSM

Right off the assembly line
Dear Kl@w-24,
Thanx for ur reply. It was really quick. I have already paid that fellow and only option for me is that, bug him and get the thing i need.

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
It is really surprising that your computer dealer oferred to give you two DIMM modules of different Frequencies. :shock:
Coz after all he is supposed to know such elementary things.
Anyway your config is great. :)
Want to try the P IV HT processor myself.Heard that that one can run an antivirus scan & plaY Quake III ( NOT JOKING ) on it at the same time. :lol:

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey
But yours is a branded HP system.
Wouldnt that make ur warranty void if ur upgrading
from a third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom