Please Help Regarding Redhat 9 Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naga

Broken In
Re: Urgent Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase help

undertakerthedead said:
Please tell me how to install redhat9 on my windows xp running laptop
First insure if you have the proper drivers. Linux drivers can be quite a hassle if u can't compile them yourself. Try posting ur system specs on linux forums and mebbe someone will take the trouble to compile the drivers for you. Someone usually does!

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
Teaching someone a installing red hat linux is a very big task, and not something you would do in a forum , chat room or over email. There is a reason why hardware and other courses cost a lot of %currency%. So you'll probably not find anyone willing to to teach you here. Try getting a good book instead

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
first give ur config and also what file system u r using on ur hard drive and the partition details. then i guess we can take it frm there. ppl will help. the reason im asking u 4 the hdd details is that if u have da ntfs system, then linux will not install-u need a fat32 partition. da installation is not really complex.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Re: Urgent Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase help

undertakerthedead said:
Please tell me how to install redhat9 on my windows xp running laptop

Is this your first time? I highly recommend getting hold of the latest Knoppix 3.4 CD. Its really easy to install and gets cloned on ur hard disk in 10 - 15 mins.

It comes bundled with QTparted which is a Partition Magic clone. You can do any damn thing with ur hard disk that you want. Contact me offline for more help.

anurag

It_is_Andrew

Broken In
gnurag is right if it is ur first time in linux u may try knoppix or better still suse live eval.
If you really want to install redhat 9 in ur laptop refer to the rehadat mannuals provided in their website (if u ahve patience to read all that) or spend a few bucks to buy books like redhat bible(it is the best for general learning).

But it would be better if you manage to refer to the august 2003 issue of digit they provided excellent brief description of installing redhat(page 92).

I don't think that drivers would be a problem ,redhat 9 has good collection of drivers.but the internal laptop modem may be not be recognised.(if this happens try to get a linux drive from manufacture's website)

silverTwins

Broken In
yup for trial its allright but then if u really wanna try out linux u should go for redhat 9.0
has the most extenxive hardware support as much as i know
so there u will b havin minimal if not any probs man

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Post your Lappy's configuration n vendor.
If ur lappys still under warranty ,then dont mess with it.
Contact your vendor for help.
If not then :
Where did u get ur Redhat9 from ,do u have all the cds.
Do u have any previous experience of installing os.
Are u comfortable if u have to Edit your partition table.
Does ur Lappy have a floppy drive.
Reply n ill try to help u out.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Ok .. Check the HowTos described in the thread ...

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3960&highlight=

And Next time think of some more elaborative subject for your thread ..

naveen_kanthed

Right off the assembly line
I think it requires only a normal installation procedure

I think it would not be very complicated task to configure the listed configuration.
Major problem arises in case of a modem or network card. :shock:
So I think just installation from RedHat CD would be enough, if you have prior experience !
Otherwise make a google search and u'll find the documentation on the proper installation of Linux..
:idea:

G

Wizzz..

Best you can try thr 'XandraOS' with 6 r 7 clicks it automatically installs linux.No other partiton mounting risks r required.This is available with july 04 LFY, It is a 1gle cd installs on the fly, also supports all the h/w configs.But b4 u can free up one partition. the
2.6 ver kernel supports NTFS also.

godfather

Broken In
read digit aug 03 or chip feb 04 mag.if u have installed win earlier u will be able to do it.I did it without reading any mag or manual it's quite easy.the only tricky part is where you have to specify your hd partition so get your neighbourhood linux geek to do it.

jnpandya

Broken In
Follow the steps:

1. Ensure that you don't have any software INSTALLED on D:

2. Transfer all your data from D: to C: in a folder (this is temporary)

3. Right click on "My Computer" on the desktop.

4. Click "Manage".

5. Goto Storage->Disk Management in the left pane

6. Right Click your D: in right pane.

7. Delete that drive (Check for steps 1 & 2 before you do this!).

8. Right click on the unallocated space (earlier that was your D: )

9. Create partition leaving around 4 GB as unallocated space. (Suppose your D: was of 20 GB, then create new partition of 16 GB)

10. Format the new D: keeping it NTFS or FAT32 (16 GB as said above)

11. Transfer your all data in D: back

12. Now your 4 GB is unallocated and free for linux installation.

13. Boot the system with the First Linux boot CD.

14. In most cases it automatically detects the unallocated space and you can use "Autoallocate" for this 4 GB space.

15. Follow the onscreen instructions for installation of linux.

Even if you can not install the linux properly here, your windows xp system will work without any problem except lack of that 4 GB space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom