Please help regarding MP3 to AAC conversion ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohit_z2k

Broken In
I have a collection of about 1500 MP3 tracks on my hard disk. I now wish to switch to the AAC codec.

I wonder if there is any such utility that supports batch conversion of MP3 files to AAC. Please help me by provinding links to the required program.

[Edited Batty] Edited to make the subject more relevant

swatkat

Technomancer
ImTOO Audio Encoder creates MP3, MP4, M4A, WAV, WMA, APE, MP4, M4A, OGG, AAC, MP2, VQF files from almost any kind of audio files. It supports ID3 tag. It shows powerful function to decode/encode between all popular audio files like MP3, WAV, APE, WMA, MP4, M4A, OGG, AAC, MP2, VQF, etc. With a click, users can get output files as they want. It also supports extract audio from video file formats - AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, MP4.

ImTOO Audio Encoder is an audio converter which can decode/encode all popular audio files like MP3, WAV, WMA, MP4, M4A, APE, OGG, AAC, MP2, VQF, etc. It also supports extract audio from video file formats - AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, MP4.

It provides support for batch conversion and selected sound modes. You may select encoding with VBR or CBR. Bitrate is selectable. The software provides different settings for different audio formats.

All ID3 tags in the original files will be preserved after the conversion. Users are able to edit the output path or use the same one as the input path. After adding all files you want to convert, ImTOO Audio Encoder will automatically encode them one by one.

For the software integrates with all audio encoders/codecs, user can convert all supported audio formats once download the program.

With the concise interface and design, user can easily handle the software without any help.
*www.techdaily.ws/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2367&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

wraj

Random Scribbler !
Buddy, why on this earth you wanna convert your existing collection into AAC...it'll do nothing but further degrade the sound quality...Being a lossy format,what it will do is that it will resample(read : downsample) the songs which will sound much inferior(no matter what bitrate u r gonna try)...CONFUSED????
Lemme give u a primer.MP3,OOG,AAC,Rm etc are a lossy codec which means it clears off the part of the song which human ear cant easily percieve thus cuts down the file size...this is the tech behaind all the lossy codecs...I admit that AAC is far more superior than MP3 but works only when u are converting LOSSLESS(wave,cda etc) formats...
But,If u r still hellbent for conversion,then try iTUNES,its the best converter till date...configure iTUNES to import the songs into into AAC(by going to the pref),then load the songs into playlist and then select the song which u wanna resample...Finally right click over the playlist area,in the menu choose 'convert selection to AAC'...N U R DONE...
BUT ILL NEVER RECCOMEND DOWNSAMPLING UR SONG IF QUALITY IS UR CONCERN....FOR MORE INFO,I REQUEST YOU,I BEG YOU,I URGE YOU ,I FORCE U TO PLEASE VISIT THIS WEBSITE....this has got plethora of info *mp3.radified.com/
happy listning

G

gxsaurav

insted of converting from mp3 to aac, with quicktime 6.52 pro, U first convert your mp3 to wave formats then again convert to mp4 aac (.m4a) format with 96 kbps, 44.1 KHz, Stereo, the files will sound like 224 kbps mp3 encoded, dam high quality when compared to a aac converted from mp3

U can also use other softwares insted of quicktime, like itunes but again, first convert them to wave first, uncompressed then to aac

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
Itunes aac encoder is useless compared to Nero's encoder.Nero's encoder has much better clarity and frequency response (right down to 40 kbps------>i've tried it)

Charley

Just Do It
From iTunes DL's
Absolutely. Go to Preferences > Importing > Import using: MP3 Encoder. You can also set custom settings there.

Select the AAC song(s) in iTunes, then go to the Advanced menu and select "Covert Selection to MP3."

If you're talking about songs you downloaded from the iTunes music store:
[1] Transfer the song to your iPod.
[2] Connect an audio cable from your iPod to the audio in on your computer.
[3] Download and install Sound Studio (*www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/download.shtml). Open a new recording window and accept the default settings.
[4] Go to the Window menu in Sound Studio, select the Show Input Levels, and click on "Soft play-through." (At this point, set your iPod's volume to maximum.)
[5] Hit the record button in Sound Studio and play the song from your iPod together.
[6] When the song reaches the end, terminate the recording in Sound Studio.
[7] Eliminate any silence from the recording that you don't need, and adjust the amplitude of the waveform if necessary.
[8] Save the file.
[9] Bring it to iTunes.
[10] Convert it to whatever format you need.

AAC files have better quality compression technology compared to mp3 files of the same bitrate.
At equivalent bitrates and track lengths, files of type AAC and mp3 also have the same file size.

Note: When converting from AAC to mp3, you will lose significant quality. I suggest AIFF (or WAV) to mp3 conversion from the original uncompressed AIFF source.

Charley

Just Do It
enoonmai said:
achacko@dataone.in said:
If you're talking about songs you downloaded from the iTunes music store:

How on Earth can someone buy anything from the iTunes store here?

Is still not available in India..... I just mentioned the procedure when i was in US :)

blacklight

Journeyman
hmm...i too was loking for some info abt aac format....this is something i found interesting.......
copy pasting it here...............................................................
AAC is a “lower bitrate� format than MP3. This means it has more Psycho-Acoustic compression.
This means it tries to trick your ears into THINKING something sounds great, rather than actually making it sound great.
You can’t really tell through poor headphones or laptop speakers.

You can compare it to MP3Pro, although they are very different. MP3Pro sucks. Full stop.

Someone said CD doesn’t sound very good compared to minidisc, and minidisc lost cos it was unlucky. This is a perfect example of why you should all do your own tests. It is RUBBISH. Minidisc uses ATRAC compression and sounds worse than a 128 kbit mp3 for treble clarity - but the midrange comes off great, compared to MP3 for example. I can smell an ATRAC soundwave from 50 feet away cos my ears feel ike they have tinnitus.

Either way - CD cannot sound any better for its designated data rate, since it is uncompressed. The only way to improve on CD quality, at this bitrate would be to use FLAC, compress from a 96khz 24bit DVD-audio track, and stick those files on the CD in an ISO format. They wouldn’t fit though. The data rate would be too high.

I digress.
There are principle misunderstandings undertaken by many of the people who have commented here.

Apple claim: AAC @ 128 is equivalent to MP3 @ 160

Sure if you use Itunes encoding this may be true. They are quoting Dolby labs, who will have used Itunes to encode, at a guess. They dont say - which says more than nothing at all.

Compare 160Kbit MP3 vbr from Itunes, Lame and Blade, and you’ll hear the enormous differences (through some reasonable headphones - not in the ear phones!)

Blade is best at 256kbits (sonographs show it to be the most CD-Accurate)
Lame is said to actually sound better at 192 than blade at 192.
I tunes sounds like a toy car.

I’d recommed doing a VBR 160 kbit LAME encode.
Then compare it to AAC @128, and then
AAC@160.

since AAC is designed around 128kbit or lower bitrates, you should find that the lame MP3 @ 160 and the 128 AAC encode sound very similiar.
What you will actually discover is that AAC is a waste of time, sounds crap, and you’d better leave your MP3 collection well alone.
Conclusions:

1) AAC sounds fine - but it is NOT better than MP3 - its totally different and designed to deliver something totally different too. Its the MPEG-4 AAC audio. Its for downloaded movies, laptops, “5.1� subwoofer speaker combos, and walkmans. If it was for improved quality, they’d use FLAC, not reduce the bitrate.

2) Storage costs are plummeting so why bother reducing the bitrate, just as everyone gets 1mbit broadband?

3) The secret is - its for copy protection. End of story. MP3 is really good at 256, and i can download an album at that quality - packaged together into a Torrent with all tracks and inlays in 20 to 25 minutes or less.

4)And they should blame the industry - since only 1 pound for every 15 you spend on an album goes to the band - who actually sweated that music out from every pore. The rest fills up the corporate bank accounts of the marketing and advertising agencies, while small time local record stores collapse because they can’t compete on price.

Download the albums, then send the band a cheque. OR go see them live, they’ll get three or four times as much money from you in one night.

the Future!
Whats wrong with Ogg? it sounds better than LAME! it has OggMedia to replace MPEG-4 (open-source - free)
in every way, and works just nicely thank you. I’m going to start a riot…..

and please, NOBODY REENCODE MP3 files direct to AACs - its going to suck.

parthbarot

In the zone
i thnk u shld use ogg or mp3pro....

for that jet audio 6.0 plus is best.....

for ur AAC...use Xilisoft's audio converter....it supports more...& u needed is also...

for winamp mp4(aac) plugin...serch google with..in_mp4.dll/in_mp4.zip....copy the dll in winamp's plugin directory...it will support mp4...

lnk is :::*www.saunalahti.fi/cse/files/in_mp4.zip

G

gxsaurav

My guide for mpeg-4, indeed better then MP3 & also most compatible, ogg cannot be played back in WMP10, but MP4 AAC can be if U got Nero 6 installed

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15487

NikhilVerma

Padawan
dIgItaL_BrAt said:
Itunes aac encoder is useless compared to Nero's encoder.Nero's encoder has much better clarity and frequency response (right down to 40 kbps------>i've tried it)

Yes man ... I tried it... The quality change is zero.. Nero ROCKS!
While a 5 MB mp3 can easily get down to about 3.5MB mp4...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom