PLEASE HELP ME with windows activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RajU
I have recently bought a XPpro with SP2 OEM version. The problem is that I didn't got this CD with any PC manufaturer, I have bought the CD myself & now recently I heard that I can activate it only 3-4 times. Is it true? What to be done? PLEASE HELP ME for if it is true then my money will be lost. Please give me the full details.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
786 said:
I have recently bought a XPpro with SP2 OEM version. The problem is that I didn't got this CD with any PC manufaturer, I have bought the CD myself & now recently I heard that I can activate it only 3-4 times. Is it true? What to be done? PLEASE HELP ME for if it is true then my money will be lost. Please give me the full details.

You can very easily activate. I have been using XP Home OEM for the last 7 months. As long as there is no major hardware change, especially Mobo/Processor, you should not have any problem in re-activating. But if I remember correctly, for the first 120 days or so, there is some restriction, by way of the number of times you can do it. Even in such a situation, it should be possible to re-activate by calling the toll free number of MS.

Anyway there is no need to worry that your money will be lost.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Search the net for backing up of activation info. With this, when you reinstall the OS, you dont have to reactivate...

Arun

OP

RajU
If I change my graphics card what may then happen./ where to find backup?

Last edited:
OP

RajU
Who? don't ask,
microsoft customer care ------- they are all confusing me giving diff. replies....

Brave_Hunt

Journeyman
786, Don't listen 'em they're all morons. Just change your graphic card without any hesitation.

Cheers

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
786 said:
If I change my graphics card what may then happen./ where to find backup?

Refer to the following link. It should give you the necessary info.
*www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Wi.../Miscellaneous/BackupRestoreXPActivation.html

sakumar79

Technomancer
To backup Windows Activation and later restore it, check out *www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Wi.../Miscellaneous/BackupRestoreXPActivation.html for instructions.

But remember, this process is for cases where you may reinstall the OS but the configuration does not change.

If your system requires a reactivation after installing the gfx card, you will have to do it, but I am 99% sure this wont happen... If I remember correctly, changing gfx card by itself wont cause it... If you overhaul your system adding HDDs, RAM and gfx card (all need not be at same time) or change motherboard reactivation will be required

Arun

janitha

Wise Old Owl
There is more possibility of requiring re-activation if either Processor or Mobo is changed.
I recently fomatted the disc, installed XP and changed both my Ram modules but I simply re-activated. It is simply fast.

sakumar79

Technomancer
If you are changing the gfx card, but have not changed anything else so far, you wont be asked to reactivate the XP. But, now would be a good time to back up your activation in case of a crash requiring reinstall...

Arun

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
Its simple and effective method in order to activate.Just activate your Window and then go to system32 folder you will find two files there
1.)Wpa.dbl
2.)Wpa.bak
Copy and save these files on your CD or hard drive.
So when the next time Windows asks for activation copy these two files back to Windows\system32\ folder.
It's working for me.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
gaurav_indian said:
Its simple and effective method in order to activate.Just activate your Window and then go to system32 folder you will find two files there
1.)Wpa.dbl
2.)Wpa.bak
Copy and save these files on your CD or hard drive.
So when the next time Windows asks for activation copy these two files back to Windows\system32\ folder.
It's working for me.

When I checked, wpa.dbl is there, but wpa.bak is missing. What may be the reason?

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Well u can activate unlimited times . u can activate online only 3-4 times , after that you have to activate through phone .

i have activated atlest 4-5 times through phone .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom