Please Help(internet related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What i have -
Windows Xp Pro SP2, 98SE, USB port 2.0, Hathway Broadband Internet connection 256 kbps.

Problem - i get a download speed of 31 kbps while using a download manager( DAP 8.0.7 premium), i get a uploading speed of 6.50-6.70 kbps (on websites like SendSpace/Megaupload/rapidshare/FileFront/ and even on torrents). i don't have an Ethernet, Lan card installed. they have installed a device (modem - ARRIS TOUCHSTONE - this is the device where the Cable goes in and out to USB port). The Hathway guys told me that i should install LAN card in order to get max. speed of the net, they saud it'll cost somewhere around Rs.400-450. Will installing a LAN card affect any of those rates(download/upload), and if yes then please suggest a good LAN card. Also is the Window's Firewall creating the problem, like is it blocking the net speed? What i think is that i should get more download/upload speed considering a Bradband 256kbps connection. Please Help me ASAP.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Wow this is Open Source!
Consider yourself lucky to even get this speed. I get download speed of 26 and upload speed of 4-5.
And I have been having downtimer of like 12-16 hrs/day in last 4 days. I even have to run my own DNS server.
And you're complaining? For what?
You won't get any better speeds than what you are currently getting.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
damn people are always so demanding .... 256 conx and 30 kb consistent what more do u want .... uploading to public servers such rapidshare is always slow as compared to your own (purchased wala for hosting and all) .... enjoy what u hav .... dont go for the bone of the dog in the water

PrinceHeart

In the zone
pushprajpradhan said:
What i have -
Windows Xp Pro SP2, 98SE, USB port 2.0, Hathway Broadband Internet connection 256 kbps.

Problem - i get a download speed of 31 kbps while using a download manager( DAP 8.0.7 premium), i get a uploading speed of 6.50-6.70 kbps (on websites like SendSpace/Megaupload/rapidshare/FileFront/ and even on torrents). i don't have an Ethernet, Lan card installed. they have installed a device (modem - ARRIS TOUCHSTONE - this is the device where the Cable goes in and out to USB port). The Hathway guys told me that i should install LAN card in order to get max. speed of the net, they saud it'll cost somewhere around Rs.400-450. Will installing a LAN card affect any of those rates(download/upload), and if yes then please suggest a good LAN card. Also is the Window's Firewall creating the problem, like is it blocking the net speed? What i think is that i should get more download/upload speed considering a Bradband 256kbps connection. Please Help me ASAP.

If you are using USB 2.0 (current release) for the internet - its good. And you don't need to buy a LAN card. If the ISP ppl meant is if u connect via a LAN card, the speed might get better. But personally I don't think so.
The speed you're getting is really nice. Hope its constant too. If you plan on connecting the internet through a LAN card rather than using ur current USB port, not worth it.

Windows Firewall got nothing to do with the internet speed. Your internet speed solely depends on the cable wire which you connect your internet of. Whatever speed your ISP is giving you, that's their business, but its all in the cables when it comes to your house. Make sure the wire is straight and not bundled somewhere in a corner of your room. Keep the wires away from electromagnetic field(TV, Music System, Microwave..and so on). Cable connections get disturbed greatly with those.
Try to speed up your PC's browsing by using utilities and tweaks. But dunno how much it can help.

Lastly - as tech_your_future and maV3 said - you're lucky to get this speed. So enjoy and have fun. Don't be too greedy ;)

cheerz

OP
P

pushprajpradhan

Broken In
wow, thank u so much guys, i really appriciate your help and time u spent on my problem. Thank You.
and ys gt a constant speed of 30kbps sometms get 32, and f th uload rate it goes as far as 7 kbps but if i'm lucky it stays 7-7.3kbps or usually i get 6.50-6.70kbps for sure. I do have a folding(many of them since the wire is too long) of cable, should i straighten it, will it affect anything, i don't have micro wave owen or a refridgerator in my house, so they r def. not blocking anything, and ddn't expeence any downtimes as of now(this is my new connection, let's say 2 months old), again ppl hank You very much. ||now all that said and done can any1 please suggest a good website where i can upload things and where i can get a decent upload rate||<---plz. do this for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom