Playstation2's External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

raj14

In Deniel
Hey guys, i have a small PS-2 w/ Mod Chip, i want to buy a External hard drive for it; but when i searched the net, i founded it doesn't support External HDDs, is it true? How much will one cost me? My PS-2 has Two USB ports, are they both for using eye toy? Which HDD should i buy? Please help, give a Link if possible. Thanks in Advance.

abhijeet_ghosh

Journeyman
@raj... if you have the slim PS2 then unfortunately you can't use a HDD with it as it doesn't support it. Anyway, there isn't much you can do with a hdd on a PS2 other use it for playing Final Fantasy XII and a handful other games. It just isn't worth buying a hdd for the PS2.

OP
raj14

raj14

In Deniel
Dude, there is a HD for PS-2, but it's rather called: A Thumb drive; USB XTREME is the name, now only if i can get one..... I just need to download a game save, waise bhi on may 9th i'll ditch my PS2. For an XBox. Btw do you have a PS2?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@anubhav_har....we can help by finding a lil more.Aint that Much Pain u see.Porbably He might have Left out somewhere which we could just help by providing him some extra searching help.So Plzz the next time if you dont have something to help out for,Dont Post.

@raj.....The USB extreme aint available out here.One's i could find were the Segate and the USB 2.0 external HDD's With capacities above 160GB onwards.

Here Try this Link
*www.modchipstore.com/USB_20_External_Hard_Drive_Enclosure_for_35__IDE_HDD_and_PSTw-p-16247.html

Here's the Seagate one
*www.modchipstore.com/Seagate_120GB_160GB_Hard_Drive_7200_RPM_ATA_133__Perfect_for_X-p-16178.html

Btw U will probably need a Network Adapter to power these HDD's up,So hope u got it.Also i Had heard that a 40GB one costs somewhere around 99$ (Official Sony one i suppose).

OP
raj14

raj14

In Deniel
@allwyn: Thanks a lot man! REALLY REALLY apreciate it:-D man, 160GB is just too much, i'll be happy with a 10GB, but all things boils down to the fact that its not availble here. Free network adapter? But, isn't that suppose to be required for the old bulky PS2? My ps2 has built in Ethernet port, and two USB ports. I guess i'll ask my Local Shop wala. @abhi: Does ur XBox has a Mod Chip? Did you played PGR2?(i played it at the shop) do u know where i could get ps2/Xbox skins?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@raj.....Anytime Mate.Btw Are you Talking about the slimline version Cause AFAIk only it has the Built in Ethernet Adapter Facility.Anyways Yea its kinda hard to digest those Merchandise arent officially or even unofficially available out here.Try Some of the Maxtor External HDD Model's....I suppose they offer connectivity to PS2's as well which can be available in 10 to 40GB Sizes.Oh By the Way Here's A Tut's I found On Afterdawn Forums....Will Prove Great Help :D

To use the USBeXtreme on your PS2, you will need a USB Hard drive Enclosure with Hard drive installed (both devices are sold separately), either 3.5’’ or 2.5’’ USB Hard drive Enclosure with Hard drive can be use.

*For the installation of the Hard drive on your HDD enclosure, please refer to the user manual of the Hard drive Enclosure.

Hard drive formatting

If you are using a new hard drive, you will need to initial the hard drive with Windows. To initial the hard drive, connect the hard drive enclosure to your PC’s USB port and install the driver*, then go to Windows “Control Panel” à “Administrative Tools” à “Computer Management”, find “Disk Management” on the tree diagram. After that you will able to view all drives installed in your PC, select the newly installed hard drive, right click and choose “initialize”, follow the on screen instruction and the hard drive will be initialize by your PC and assign a driver letter to it.

You can format the drive by using NTFS format in order to use up the maximum space of the hard drive.

If the hard drive has formatted and assigned a drive letter successfully, you will see a new drive in “My Computer”

* For the driver installation, please refer to the user manual of the hard drive enclosure

Download the Client software of USBeXtreme from *www.usbextreme.com/download, unzip the file and run the USBeXtreme_setup.exe file, then the tools will be extracted into the drive C. Please DO NOT change the default installation path except you are familiar with MS-DOS command.

After extracted the USBeXtreme Client software, go to “Start”à”Run”,

Enter “Command” to start using command prompt, change directory to the root directory C drive by entering command cd\ and press enter, you will see C:\> appear on the command line after successful. You can refer to the following picture.

Then you can enter the following command.

ul_format X format

“X” is the drive letter of your USB hard drive.

The format action will take a few minutes, it is depends on the capacity of the partition you created, please DO NOT remove the hard drive or power off the USB hdd enclosure during this period.

Game Converting

To convert games from DVD/CD to the USB hard drive, please connect the USB drive to your PC, then go to command prompt “Start”à”Run”àenter “Command”, change directory to the root directory C drive by entering command cd\ and press enter, you will see C:\> appear on the command line after successful. You can refer to the following picture.

Then you can enter the following command.

ul_install SourceDrive TargetDrive GameName CD/DVD

e.g. if your DVD/CD-Rom drive is drive D, and the USB HDD is E, and you are about converting a PS2 DVD game “Metal Gear Solid”, the command will be the following

ul_install D E MetalGearSolid DVD

**Game converting will take a few minutes depend on the game file size.

Game Playing

Connect and power on the USB HDD to your PS2 and boot your PS2 with USBeXtreme, when you see the game selection menu, select the game and press X on the joypad, the game will then run immediately.

Source: After Dawn Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom