PlayStation 3 Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
PlayStation 3 announced for 2006

LOS ANGELES--Today saw the second of the big three console makers announce their next-generation platform. At its pre-E3 press conference, Sony Computer Entertainment gave the world its first look at the PlayStation 3, as it now is officially called.

The name was not unexpected, since Sony had been running an extensive teaser-ad campaign prepping the public for the PlayStation 3. The company had laid a blanket of posters around the Los Angeles Convention Center, site of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (aka E3). Bus stalls and billboards around the convention center proclaimed "Prepare for Chang3" in the distinctive PlayStation font with partial shots of the Dual Shock controller's square-circle-triangle-X buttons.

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5 inch HDD somewhat similar the Xbox 360's.

Read More/Source: GameSpot

PS3 Image Index: Here

Update: Sony unveils its next-gen console in LA; Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Tekken 6, Gran Turismo 5, and next-gen Gran Theft Auto confirmed.

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
Specs for PS3:

Tech Specs - Product name: PLAYSTATION(R)3

Logo: PLAYSTATION(R)3

CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

1 VMX vector unit per core

512KB L2 cache

7 x SPE @3.2GHz

7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for

redundancy

total floating point

performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point
performance

Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2
channels

Multi-way programmable parallel
floating point shader
pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-
base processing)

Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth: Main RAM 25.6GB/s

VRAM 22.4GB/s

RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s
(read)

SB 2.5GB/s (write) +
2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage: HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O: USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1

SD standard/mini x 1

CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller: Bluetooth (up to 7)

USB2.0 (wired)

Wi-Fi (PSP(R))

Network (over IP)

AV Output: Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p,
1080i, 1080p

HDMI HDMI out x 2

Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1

Digital audio DIGITAL OUT
(OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media: CD PlayStation(R) CD-ROM

* read only PlayStation(R)2 CD-ROM

CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,
CD-RW

SACD SACD Hybrid (CD
layer), SACD HD

DualDisc DualDisc (audio
side), DualDisc
(DVD side)

DVD: PlayStation(R)2 DVD-ROM

PLAYSTATION(R)3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R,
DVD-RW, DVD+R,
DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc: PLAYSTATION(R)3 BD-ROM
BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R,
BD-RE

* Didnt add the specs in the intro post as it wod be too long a post to read and wob be a lil buggy to a huge post. Hope you din mind :) I guess today staying online whole night helped :p

G

gxsaurav

Some mor einfo at anandtech

*www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2417&p=2

It will support Bluetooth based 7 controller at ones support

WiFi & Gigabit ethernet X 2

The games will come in Blue-Ray by default, but other media formats are also supported

& to my deligh The GPU

NVIDIA Reality synthasizer, RSX GPU running at 550 MHz, with independent Vertex & Pixel shading pipelines, Dam good with 256 MB GDDR3, so seperate memory for system & GPU unlike XBOX 360

The GPU itself can process 136 shader operations per cycle, compared to 53 shader ops per cycle of the current GeForce 6 GPU. In terms of shader performance, the RSX is clearly more powerful than even two GeForce 6 GPUs.

The RSX GPU features over 300 million transistors built on an eight layer 90nm process; note that the combination of the RSX GPU and the Cell CPU in PS3 is close to 600 million transistors.

& also Dual HD Video supprt & HDMI too, talk about security

hmm, definately better then XBOX 360 & also Cool in tempratur & looks, also all the Playstation games & PS2 games are supported, dam good as it will take some time for Takken 6/Mortal Combat definece to come on PS3

takken on ps3

*images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/Playstation3/E3PressConference/tekken.jpg

& My favoriot Unreal engine 3.0 on PS3

*www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2417&p=7

Hm, HD resolution for LCD TV, NVIDIA GPU twice powerfull then 2 G800 Ultra in SLI, OpenGL based games, wireless controller bluetooth based, will eat a lot less power, what else can we ask for,

PS3 here I come

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Hmmmmm ...YUMMY !!

PS3 is convex in design
and XBOX360 is concave frm both side

The new controller(IMO looks less comfy then the XBOX360 controllers)

Available in different colors

G

gxsaurav

Yo tarey where are the pics,

better check the anandtech link I gave they got pics as well as gamespot

hmm, the new controller isn't that nice shape wise, old PS2 was better, well anyway, this is a definite buy

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
Sony to Leave Hard Drive Out of Playstation 3

Sony to Leave Hard Drive Out of Playstation 3

In an interview with Japanese online publication Game Watch, President and CEO Sony Computer Entertainment said that the company's Playstation 3 console will not include a hard drive out of the box, citing that the storage would run out no matter how large the capacity. Kutaragi said the next step in storage would be a network drive, in which a user could access storage from their home, a friend's home, or from anywhere.

He added that should the Playstation 3 require an operating system, then it would require a hard drive. Kutaragi said that the company could pre-install Linux on an optional hard drive, or consumers could install Windows or Mac OS X. The Playstation 3 includes a 2.5-inch detachable hard drive bay.

Kutaragi said that the Playstation 3 can be used as a conventional computer because it includes all standard computer interfaces, including USB 2.0 ports, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. The console is powered by a state-of-the-art CPU called Cell, co-developed by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba.

Read More: Punch Jump
Alternate Article: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

expertno.1

Technomancer
i am collecting my money from now on to buy those pc3 console and games coz they will be really really costly

so dude atart collecting your money and thans sourabh for the info

shaunak

Tux Fan
forget the specs just look at the screenshots!!!!

@expert no1: you bet. they r going to burn deeper holes than the potholes on the road in the rains!

may b tats why sony is letting us know a year in advance so we can start saving rupee by rupee!! :idea:

q3_abhi

Youngling
Expert no1 would really burn his pockets with deep holes. But everyone is willing to buy one.

Its so attractive. Will take it when it will b round 5000 -10,000/-

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
Looks like Sony has made a deal with the Ageia to incorporate its PPU in the Sony PS3.

Whatever are the consequenes of integrating the PPU, but surely for Ageia its a dream come true. They would have made enough profit with this deal to recover their research expenses after this Sony deal.

Check this article , to see that Ageia is already becoming a takeover target for biggies like ATI/Nvidia and the estimated price of sale is $2 billion.

bukaida

In the zone
Hey Where is the real thing?

Hey guys , none of u have specified the real thing, the price tag in INDIA, where and when will it be available? It looks like , at present I have to sell my 2room flat to have one.

q3_abhi

Youngling
Re: Hey Where is the real thing?

bukaida said:
Hey guys , none of u have specified the real thing, the price tag in INDIA, where and when will it be available? It looks like , at present I have to sell my 2room flat to have one.

:lol: :lol:

Heard that it is around 40k. Also heard that it is around 21k.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Price tag in India will be decided if and when Sony decide to launch the PS3 in India. Analysts say that the PS3 will cost $494 to make and will sell for $399. There was also a rumor that it would cost $465. Nothing is confirmed. Forget the price tag in India, nobody knows the price tag for the US or Japan ;)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
q3_abhi said:
But PS3 will have twice the power of xbox 360
hmmm it's not so abhi , may be u should check , anandtech or tomshardware , they have in depth analysis and comparision of ps3 and xbox360 based on the info that is out till date.

btw i asked a paika baazaar shopkeeper that has he got any idea regarding the price of ps3 he sayed initially the price tag shud be abt 40-45k as far as he knows.

srijan007

Broken In
It's Backward compatiable too. Thank Heavens you dont have to chuck your PS2 Titles out.
Anyway, The new PS3 titles on Blu-Ray Will be better than older ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom