Playing with the 'Start' menu button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Hello guys,

I kinda remember reading about this in one of the Digit issues, but which one I don't quite remember. Though now that I've NET LIBERATION, I can try to bother some of your guys over here. :D

Can someone tell me how to change the text 'Start' on the button and also the adjoining 'Windows 98' text that runs along the menu?

I'm on a Win98SE OS.

whoopy_whale

Journeyman
Change the word START:

Copy the file EXPLORER.EXE from your Windows directory to a temporary working directory.
Using a hex editor (like UltraEdit-32), open the copy of EXPLORER.EXE.
Search for 53 00 74 00 61 00 72 00 74, which are the letters in the word "Start," separated by null characters (#00). It's a good idea to search and replace all occurances of Start in the file, as just editing this one doesn't seem to do it.
You can replace any of the five characters, but do not change the null characters. Although you can't use a word longer than five characters, you can have shorter words by including spaces (#32) for the remaining places.
Save the changes and exit to DOS (for Windows 9x/Me) or reboot into the Windows Recovery Console (Windows XP/2000).
Here, you'll be able to backup the original file and replace it with your modified version. When you restart Windows, the change should take effect immediately.

Source

anandk

Distinguished Member
try StartBtn Renamer.

..........or simpler still.... google search, download and use "StartBtn Renamer".... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom