playing videos on old ipod photo or nano

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitash

Intel OCer
I never found a thread about this in this forum so here goes. I have an old ipod photo which was gathering dust and doing nothing so i thought..y not experiment abit with it? I wanted to install ipod linux but a windows installer isnt available on the net anywhere as the ipodlinux.org site is down...but then i found this free firmware called rockbox and the best part is tat u can play videos on it even on unsupported ipods like the old nano or 4G etc also u wont need itunes anymore ...heres how to do it
1)go to www.rockbox.org click on current build and download the appropriate build for ur ipod.
2)connect ur ipod in disk mode and make sure itunes is closed.
3)extract the build u downloaded onto the ipod directory
4)next download fonts from *www.rockbox.org/daily.shtml
5)extract the fonts package to the ipod directory..
6)download ipod patcher from here *download.rockbox.org/bootloader/ipod/ipodpatcher/win32/ipodpatcher.exe
7)run ipod patcher (note:in vista run it as admin)..a command window should open up and give u information about ur ipod
8)press i followed by enter to install rockbox
9)after some time ti should say it has installed successfully...pres enter to quit
10)disconnect ur ipod from itunes..it should now boot into rockbox...if it doesnt then press and hold select and menu buttons.
11)Now rockbox is installed all u have to do is take whatever video u want and convert it into mpeg-2 format...make sure to set the resolution of ur converted video same as tat of ur ipod ipod during converting.
12)copy whatever music or videos(in mpeg2) to ur ipods directory..no need of itunes or anything just simply copy paste.
13)on ur ipod browse to the video u want to play and just start playing..enjoy;-)

WARNING:this may void ur ipods warranty

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
thanks. i hate itunes. .i'm going to try it on my ipod nano 1st gen. i dont care if i void warranty / destroy this ipod . dont even know why my dad got this ipod for me. i barely use it. and it costed 10k abt 2 yrs back. . parents are funny. .he gets me a ipod at 10k when i dont want it. .he thinks radiation of crt affects my eyes and decides to get me a tft when i am not all that inclined to buy it. .but refuses to get me a new g-card . .hmmf.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Theres Rockbox then there's Linux firmware. These have been around for a really long time.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
he thinks radiation of crt affects my eyes and decides to get me a tft when i am not all that inclined to buy it.
And he’s right too. You may not appreciate it but he did you (and himself, of course) a huge favour. :)

oooooooooold thing. rockbox and ipod linux are veeeeeery common, but the former is prefered by most since its more stable and less geeky.

sam_1710

Youngling
Anything for the Ipod Nano 3G ?? .. I'm unable to fine even itunes alternatives!! Please help me in this regard guys..

sam_1710

Youngling
^^^
Anapod_Website said:
Anapod Software currently supports the following devices:
Apple iPod nano: First Generation
Apple iPod nano: Second Generation
Apple iPod shuffle: First Generation
Apple iPod shuffle: Second Generation
Apple iPod mini: First Generation
Apple iPod mini: Second Generation
Apple iPod: First Generation (mechanical wheel)
Apple iPod: Second Generation (touch wheel)
Apple iPod: Third Generation (touch wheel)
Apple iPod: Fourth Generation (click wheel)
Apple iPod: Fifth Generation (video display)
Apple iPod photo
Apple iPod U2 Special Edition
iPod+HP (same as 4th Gen Apple iPod)
No support for iPod nano 3G ... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom