Playing media files without any issues

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I have come across many threads wherein members have problems with playing various types of media files (.avi, .mkv, .ogg, etc..).
Most of the problems arise when we don't have the required Codecs installed in our system.
So I just write this article which helps us in combating this problem.

Overview:
Most of the files actually play without any fuss, only that the audio or the video will come; so some of us will find it difficult to find what is wrong as it wont show any error (BSplayer will show, and some media player will show the error but will continue to play the file).

We can follow the following steps to make all the files play without any issue. We will look into individuals programs now.

Players that dont need any codec packs:

VLC player:
VLC player is my favourite player as:
- It dont need any Codecs to play any file
- Plays a variety of files (inc. DVD's and .mov files)
- It supports most of the OS
- It's Free!

More info and download:
*www.videolan.org/vlc/

MPlayer:
MPlayer, is by far the most powerful player available. There is simply no contest in my opinion. But for new users, the lack of a native Windows interface can be daunting.

MPUI is a frontend for MPlayer that has a Media Player Classic feel to it.
The download has MPlayer packaged in and no installation is required. The packaged version of MPlayer is a little out of date...you can simply override mplayer.exe with a newer version and it'll work fine.

Web Site | Download

*www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/images/shot19s.jpg
MPlayer on Windows XP

Program to find more on codecs that the file needs and other codec related issues

Gspot
GSpot is a free utility which identifies the codec required to play an AVI file and supplies other information as well.
● Establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file.
● Determines whether these codecs are installed on your system.
● Isolates problems associated with these codecs.
● Simple operation - Basic use: "File > Open", then read the results.
Screenshots:
The main window when the program is run:
*img313.imageshack.us/img313/6964/gspot2lc.th.gif

To find the list of the installed codecs in your system:
*img47.imageshack.us/img47/4416/options7dp.th.gif

Find out the required codec using Gspot. And then d/l that codec, install, and now play the file.

Download:
*www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

Alternative to Gspot:
SHERLOCK - The Codec Detective - FREE Codec Check Checking Utility!
www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html
*sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerc/

AVICodec, Link: *avicodec.duby.info/
Very easy to use software.
The corresponding page also has an exhaustive list of links for information about codecs and links for download, plus info abt various media players and encoders/decoders. A must bookmark for everybody.

ffdshow
ffdshow is DirectShow and VFW codec for decoding/encoding many video and audio formats, including DivX and XviD movies using libavcodec, xvid and other opensourced libraries with a rich set of postprocessing filters

Filter also supports nowadays decoding of virtually all audio formats used in movies, including AC3, DTS, MP3 and Ogg Vorbis, and several subtitle formats.

To summarize its main idea, the FFDSHOW consumes way less CPU power than original DivX or XviD codecs, even with maximum post-processing. At the same time the post-processing seems to give excellent quality results and allows more configuring than the original DivX codec. It can even automaticly reduce post-processing if your CPU is getting overloaded. The noise filter adds a kind of a rasterising effect to the picture - might be useful in some cases.So you wont need 95% of the codecs required to play the files.

When we install the software, we get to see this:
Video:
*img268.imageshack.us/img268/2642/ffdshowvideo2tp.jpg
Audio:
*img268.imageshack.us/img268/9285/ffdshowaudio0lh.jpg
Just make sure that you have every check box clicked on so that your media player can play all the files without any fuss.

Download:
ffdshow

Codec packs:
Codec packs contain all (or 95%) of the codecs that we might need to play any particular files. We might end up downloading more than the number of codecs that we might actually require to play the files.
This might seem a one stop solution but these are the shortcomings:
-- Some codecs in the so called mega codec packs are illegal
-- DVD's dont play agian ,in case we update/ reinstall the codec packs, so we will have t reinstall the DVD software (not VLC player though :p)
-- We dont need that many codecs also biggrin.gif
-- We have VLC player which plays files without codecs :d
Some popular Codec packs:

K-lite codec pack:
The K-Lite Mega Codec Pack is a software bundle which includes the K-Lite Codec
Pack Full, QuickTime Alternative, Real Alternative and BSplayer.
www.k-litecodecpack.com/

ACE codec pack:
www.divx-digest.com/software/acemega_codec.html

Matroska Pack:
Matroska Packs for Windows playback & creation. ... itself as a very slim and
intelligent alternative to the usually overloaded codec packs out there.
www.packs.matroska.org/

How to play .mp4 files?
VLC player should play it fine...but there are hardware issues as well, we need a good and fast system to back your VLC during the playback. Mpeg4 AVC is very CPU intensive at high resolutions.

Otherwise you should install on your system the MatroskaSplitter (for .mp4 support) and the latest ffdshow decoder (which supports AVC/h264). You then should be able to playback .mp4 clips in MediaPlayerClassic, BSPlayer, etc...
*x264.nl/

Or try a cvs version of MPlayer or VLC

itunes/winamp also supports it.

Alternate softwares:

QuickTime Alternative 1.63 : QuickTime Alternative will allow you to
play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt and other extensions) without having to install QuickTime player.
Link: www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

Real Alternative
Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player.
Link: *www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

RealMedia Splitter :
RealMedia Splitter allows you to play RealNetworks audio/video files using Windows Media Player. You will need to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player or Real Alternative [recommended] first.
Link: *www.free-codecs.com/download/RealMedia_Splitter.htm
The zip file has .ax files which need to registered, see this page

Video codecs which are used commonly in avi files are divx codecs (div3, div4, etc..) or XVID.
Audio codecs that commonly used are AC3 or .mp3 or other such codecs.
So use Gspot to find out the codecs that you need and d/l them.

If anyone have to add to this, plz post here . Dont make unnecessary posts.

Thread stickied

q3_abhi

Youngling
It is always advised to have only one codesc pack installed on ur system. So go for the K-lite Pack- the best one.

Drdrudge- started a very useful topic.

expertno.1

Technomancer
Hmmm

Hi all ,

I would like to tell you that in my system there is no any codec pack installed

But then also no problem for me because these three players are enough

1) Jet audio for all media files
2) Quick time for .mov files
3) Real Player for .rm files

Hers about Jet Audio
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28727

and keeping all these i have never faced any problem in watching any media file

Thanks
Regards..
Expertno.1

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
i stumbled upon this page accidentally
i have a few things worth adding

# GSpot Alternative : AVICodec, Link: *avicodec.duby.info/
Very easy to use software.
The corresponding page also has an exhaustive list of links for information about codecs and links for download, plus info abt various media players and encoders/decoders. A must bookmark for everybody.

# Suggestion .. shift the whole gspot alternative section to just-below gspot info (makes more sense)

# Real Alternative 1.43 :
Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player.
Link: *www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
( It's the same thing as K-Lite Codec Pack .. but over that it creates a link for media player classic on desktop/statup menu and changes default open options of real formats to open with media player classic. so that you dont need to change them manually )

# RealMedia Splitter :
RealMedia Splitter allows you to play RealNetworks audio/video files using Windows Media Player. You will need to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player or Real Alternative [recommended] first.
Link: *www.free-codecs.com/download/RealMedia_Splitter.htm
The zip file has .ax files which need to registered, see this page
(before you add this one .. just download yourself and check it .. it didnt work on my comp)

-----
alibi

C

cybermanas

This post is great.Thanks for the info.Now wmp10 is my universal player.

raj14

In Deniel
If you hate Downloading Zillion Codecs to play Media Files, Download Media Player Classic It's an INCREDIBLE Piece of Software, No ad ware or Spyware, it plays ALL kinds of files: .MOV, .AVI, MPG, MPEG, RM among others. you can Download it from Here
PS: just in case you're wondering it's Media Player 6.4; But with added Features :D

caje143

Journeyman
How Do You Play *.mov files????

Hi there,
i am new to this forum so i dont know what exactly is to be done in asking a question...
my question is that i have some movies files in the *.mov format....
using which player will i be able to play them?? and also if there is any software that can convert any file format to any other file format???
pls help...
thnx

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

.mov is apple quicktime movie. It can be played using VLC player, quicktime player, Windows media player (after installing the suitable plugins) and MPlayer.

Google for converter. You dont need a converter, try the players that I ahve suggested, for more, post in the thread I said or PM any mod to re-open this thread.

Even you can install ffdshow and play .mov files in dshow players like BSPlayer.

And another option is to use the quicktime alternative. The links to all these programs are provided in the first post.

Threads merged and first post updated

dinesh1

Broken In
worlds best codec pack with media player classic who play all type media in the word
it is absolutely free

ht*p://www.codec-archiv.de/win/storm/StormCodec5.03%5bCodec-Download.de%5d.exe

go4saket

Media Played Codecs Required?

Hello Friends!

Can anyone tell me how can I make Media Player play other type of files that it normally supports. Say for example, the files supported by Realplayer, Quicktime, videos created from mobile instruments etc. Is there as codec pack available that can solve my problem.

Thank you.

Netjunkie

In the zone
Install Real Alternative & QuickTime Alternative to play real media & Quick time files in Windows Media Player.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
You can use VLC player. It is the best player around. It almost plays all the files which other players can't play. But if u want to stick to WMP than u can follow what Netjunkie said.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

@go4saket and other,
Use this thread for all codec related queries.

Threads merged

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Simply install K-lite Mega Codec Pack, as shwetanshu suggested.

It also contains real and quicktime alternatives along with all codecs required to play approx. all kind of formats. :D

Top Bottom