Play MP3 in DamnSmallLinux [From Windows PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I am running DSL on a system with no hard disk. I am playing songs in this machine by copying from a Windows PC through LAN. For this I have to get the file, store it in the RAMdisk and play.

Is there any way to play the file from the Windows PC itself (through LAN). Also how can I browse the Windows Network in Dillo or anyother browser if available in DSL?

eddie

El mooooo
AFAIK there is no other way but to install SAMBA on Linux to access Windows PCs in LAN. This cannot be done in DSL.

mediator

Technomancer
eddie said:
AFAIK there is no other way but to install SAMBA on Linux to access Windows PCs in LAN. This cannot be done in DSL.

Nope Samba is used for sharing files on the host pc (windows/linux)!
He can do that by mounting the windows shared stuff!

@lywyre: I dunno about damnsmall linux..never used it but in fc4 it has a option to connect to server..one option to access windows share! U can directly play songs from windows on damn.S.L if u have xmms or mplayer for it!
I do it regularly!...I have my samba server disabled!

OP
lywyre

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I know i can do it in FC4, that I don't need samba.

DSL has xmms. But the problem is i cannot /directly/ play it from the Win PC. I have to get it with smbclient to ramdisk and only then, xmms can access it.

DSL is a 50mb Live CD, so it is stripped of "not so useful" packages. I am happy atleast it has xmms. and it is really very cool, how much it has been packed with, given its size.

ujjwal

Padawan
Do you have the smbmount program installed? You can use it to mount the remote share and access the mp3's as normal files. If DSL does not support smbfs, you will have to look at alternatives like Puppy linux.

eddie

El mooooo
mediator said:
Nope Samba is used for sharing files on the host pc (windows/linux)!
He can do that by mounting the windows shared stuff!

@lywyre: I dunno about damnsmall linux..never used it but in fc4 it has a option to connect to server..one option to access windows share! U can directly play songs from windows on damn.S.L if u have xmms or mplayer for it!
I do it regularly!...I have my samba server disabled!
Uninstall Samba and then try mounting the shared directories. Having Samba server disabled just means that you are NOT working as a server but to even act as a client, you must have Samba installed.

OP
lywyre

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
It is a Live Distribution, Not Installed on a Hard Disk. Infact, I have already said, this machine doesn't have a Hard Disk at all. Just CD Drive, A Floppy Drive and 256 MB RAM. The Hard Disk crashed last week (1 more samsung crash).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom