Pirated Windows? Buy The Retail Version at a $100 Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

AiM

Banned
On a whim we tried again this evening and it appears that Microsoft has updated its website and now allows US users of pirated or counterfeit versions of Windows XP to buy legitimate keys for $149 each -- a unique key is still required for each computer that runs Windows XP. The full version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional retails for $249.99, which means if you purchase the CD and key from Microsoft, there is a net savings of $100. The OEM version of Windows XP can be purchased online from online vendors, but this discounted version requires the purchase of hardware. Microsoft waives all shipping and handling charges, but sales taxes is still added onto the purchase.

More Info & Discussions

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
Cause thats called stealing ..is not good for the developers, company or the economy ... and in cases not even good for the user of pirated software.
If we go by ur case then everything in world is free ..just steal it ..simple huh?

khansdream

Journeyman
Yes, Intellectual property is something which shud be paid. We, the Indians, are exporting s/w to other countries and getting thousands of millions in return. India can't afford piracy of its own software but it wouldn't stop piracy of other's software.

damnthenet

Journeyman
hemant_mathur said:
..is not good for the developers, company or the economy ...
Fearing the high prices, if people start using freeware (Linux), it would be more worse for Microsoft's developers, Microsoft and Bill Gates' economy!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
for a imformation... i bought a OEM XP Pro from local shop (Microsoft certified offcourse) it cost me only Rs. 5690 + TAX (4%) near about, $128..

and this without any upgreade offer...

hsnayvid

Journeyman
dheeraj_kumar said:
Heck, WTF is this? Why would we wanna spend money for something we could get for free?

this is not my approach but I still prefer the pirated version!
saves a hell lot of time.
validation of the genuine version is hell of a job.

Vyasram

The pWnster
@hemant

Read agent 001's article on april 06 digit to get the full picture of how pirates help ms and why ms dont wanna curb piracy completely even though it can with a single click

hemant_mathur

I have read that article and still believe in no piracy bandwagon. C'mon guys how can u promote piracy ...it's nothing more than stealing ... as for shifting to linux .. i still dont think its easy enough for most people to shift to .. and u know what the shocking fact is .. most people dont know they are using pirated version of windows.

hsnayvid said:
this is not my approach but I still prefer the pirated version!
saves a hell lot of time.
validation of the genuine version is hell of a job.

thats not something u have to do on day to day basis (until u really do so .. in which case u shouldn't be complaining cause u already do a lot of things daily which most people don't). Also if it hadn't been for the piracy thing there would have been no such validation thing required at the first place.

damnthenet said:
Fearing the high prices, if people start using freeware (Linux), it would be more worse for Microsoft's developers, Microsoft and Bill Gates' economy!

U seriously think linux is easy enough for most people who are new at computers or even for old timers .. its not that easy ..

Vyasram said:
@hemant

Read agent 001's article on april 06 digit to get the full picture of how pirates help ms and why ms dont wanna curb piracy completely even though it can with a single click

No one can make a sw which is fool proof ... the more the ms tries to make its sw secure (like WGA for example) .. the more the negative remarks it has to take for making it difficult for people to activate and what not.
I myself have used a pirated version of win xp and i know the amount of time i used to spend on net looking for ways to bypass there security ways but then i realised that its not worth it .. u know waiting for someone to crack it up and then dwnlding it from various sites .. getting a few spywares and viruses on the way ... just not worth it.

I seriously think that people should at least buy the system essential sw like the OS, anti-virus etc.
Either buy genuine or go freeware way .. but dont pirate ..u wouldn't like to steal ..would u?

Last edited:

khansdream

Journeyman
hemant_mathur said:
I have read that article and still believe in no piracy bandwagon. C'mon guys how can u promote piracy ...it's nothing more than stealing ... as for shifting to linux .. i still dont think its easy enough for most people to shift to .. and u know what the shocking fact is .. most people dont know they are using pirated version of windows.

thats not something u have to do on day to day basis (until u really do so .. in which case u shouldn't be complaining cause u already do a lot of things daily which most people don't). Also if it hadn't been for the piracy thing there would have been no such validation thing required at the first place.

U seriously think linux is easy enough for most people who are new at computers or even for old timers .. its not that easy ..

No one can make a sw which is fool proof ... the more the ms tries to make its sw secure (like WGA for example) .. the more the negative remarks it has to take for making it difficult for people to activate and what not.
I myself have used a pirated version of win xp and i know the amount of time i used to spend on net looking for ways to bypass there security ways but then i realised that its not worth it .. u know waiting for someone to crack it up and then dwnlding it from various sites .. getting a few spywares and viruses on the way ... just not worth it.

I seriously think that people should at least buy the system essential sw like the OS, anti-virus etc.
Either buy genuine or go freeware way .. but dont pirate ..u wouldn't like to steal ..would u?

:( But the main problem is the ppl phyco, if something is coming for free then whats the use of paying. They don't think that they are stealing but they think they are getting something for free. Any thats make difference between getting free and stealing.
If MS is able to lead the entire world in OS, they can simply stop the piracy too, but they won't. If they are getting just 10% of what they are producing thats enough for them to remain a leader.
I don't think ppl are stealing s/w of MS, MS is giving away these s/w for free. And the ppl and becoming more and more dependable.

hemant_mathur

Thats the root of the problem .. people phsycology .. it can't be changed easily and always likes to take the easy and evil (read : pirated) way.

Most people don't know that they are pirating something ... for them windows came loaded with their system ... just like everyone's else they know ... it's the job of the their system <i> wala</i> to put it.

khansdream said:
If MS is able to lead the entire world in OS, they can simply stop the piracy too, but they won't. If they are getting just 10% of what they are producing thats enough for them to remain a leader.

It's not only about being the leader ... it's also about getting paid for amount the hard work put into that product. Being a market leader of a product doesn't mean that you should start giving your product for free. They are a market leader because people liked their product and went out to buy it.

robin345

Broken In
saurav_cheeta said:
for a imformation... i bought a OEM XP Pro from local shop (Microsoft certified offcourse) it cost me only Rs. 5690 + TAX (4%) near about, $128..

and this without any upgreade offer...
Remember you bought the OEM version not the retail one ..OEM version are not allowed to be sold seperately...

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta

This is not stealing. If it was stealing then then Ms would have incurred a loss. What I am asying is 'that siftware isn't a 'commodity' like a pack of chips or 'jewellery' that is considered as 'stock' or anything that occupies shelf space. Software ain't a product nor is it a service.
Yes if I am using piracy in exchange of buying then it can be considered.
But then I ( or most indians) am not filthy rich having 10000 for a buggy OS.
Fact is it weren't for pirated win95,98 copies nobody could have learned/affored windows. Linux would have ruled big time. Even MS understands this now. Thats why they have comeup with those starter editions and EPG .

sudhakar35in

Broken In
Reply to : Pirated Windows? Buy The Retail Version at a $100 Discount

I downloaded Windows XP 64 bit edition itself from internet. Really it is unfair where users are motivated to buy original software. The idiotic software companies are not ready to reduce the price of their software to a REASONABLE 'CHEAP' PRICE. Then why should WE be ready to buy original software?. Tell me.

cyberpyrate

Broken In
Re: Reply to : Pirated Windows? Buy The Retail Version at a $100 Discount

sudhakar35in said:
Really it is unfair where users are motivated to buy original software. The idiotic software companies are not ready to reduce the price of their software to a REASONABLE 'CHEAP' PRICE. Then why should WE be ready to buy original software?. Tell me.

i couldnt agree more! The prices are huge and it is very difficult for average people to pay for these softwares

khansdream

Journeyman
hemant_mathur said:
Thats the root of the problem .. people phsycology .. it can't be changed easily and always likes to take the easy and evil (read : pirated) way.

Most people don't know that they are pirating something ... for them windows came loaded with their system ... just like everyone's else they know ... it's the job of the their system <i> wala</i> to put it.

It's not only about being the leader ... it's also about getting paid for amount the hard work put into that product. Being a market leader of a product doesn't mean that you should start giving your product for free. They are a market leader because people liked their product and went out to buy it.

No, I don't think so. They are market leader bcoz ppl are using their s/w and almost every computer user has easy access to get their s/w, and the reason is quite simple, ppl use their s/w bcoz they get it for free.
Do u think we can afford all the required s/w if we are bound to pay, NO, we wouldn't pay, we will then certainly look out for cheaper one. And in that case the MS would go down. (And Yes, :evil: not all ppl like their s/w).
Just for example, you will go for an Indian car if you are paying, but if a Ferrari is coming for free, will u ignore..????
I am not saying that piracy should go on, but saying that MS is supporting it.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
U are absolutely right Hemant... Piracy is a crime. But kost of us cant afford buying softwares..
See nowa days a barebone computer can be bought for as little as rs 10k and thats why even low income people are buying comps for their children against lone,installments and various such schemes.. How can they afford A rs 5000 software.
The simple solution is to reduse price.Price parity of INR vs US Dollar is around 6 to1 but we pay around 46 rs per dollar.so actually we are paying 8 times more than a us resident.
If that stat is taken into concern Microsoft whould offer XP Home for Rs 500 and pro for around rs 1000-1200...Only ythen u can urge people to buy softwares..
But it sstll too costly

khansdream

Journeyman
Hey Sidewinder:mad:

We don't even pay for Winzip, do you? Thats not the High Price matter. But people phycology.

You must know the fact that piracy is a punishable crime under Copyright act of IPC and anybody caught using pirated version of sw can be booked for six months to five years and fine upto 5 lacs.
But I never heard about even one case of usage of this law in India. I am sure the Law-Makers are also using the pirated copy. We are worried about Piracy of Hindi Movies, ads on TV about pirated video can been frequently, but have you ever saw an ad of sw piracy..???? NO.

We are just not interested to stop the piracy of software, bcoz the authors are simply allowing us to copy and use.

Do you know, how can we motivate the people to buy copyright...?:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom