The Researcher
My pc config is as follows:
Intel pent 4 proc 3.00 mhz
intel 915 chipset from msi
512 mb ddr
dvd writer from sony
hdd samsung 80gb sata
win xp sp2 pro

of late, after the pc is on for some time and if I restart it, there is a piercing sound. If open the pc and press here and there(I don't know what it is but this has worked for me) and again restart pc become normal. why is it so?

I bought this pc in jan 2006 only

what is the permanent solution.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Looks like some problem somewhere. Are the fans working properly? Is your PC an assembled one? What cabinet brand you are using? You need to check whether all the Components are working properly first of all. Check one by one, and find the culprit. Sometimes if the RAM module is about to fail, the BIOS will give a particular sound. But this sound will vary from Brand to Brand!! So give full details - motherboard brand, cabinet, etc.,

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
The pc is assembled one. Memory module are fixed properly. The fan over the cpu is working properly. The cabinet is Xtech with side door. Whenever this sound comes, I open the PC and wait for some time and then restart. This solves the problem. The memory chip I tested using a tool by microsoft. There is no problem. This seems to be a case overheating of some component.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Do you play games like Doom 3. Or just use it for Web browsing & stuff like that.
There are softwares available to monitor the temperature. Open the cabinet & run
the O.S. If there is no problem. Then it's over-heating only. You can use 'SpeedFan'
software (*www.almico.com/speedfan.php) that monitors the CPU temp,
show harddisk temp too. Just install it and check it and post the results.

shovik

Banned
Your system is getting overheated.....try to ventilate as much as possible. If you can then remove the CPU fan and take out the CPU from its socket, clean up its top surface and apply a new layer of good thermal paste and put it back as it was.
After that go to the BIOS and check your CPU fan's speed, if its below 2500rpm then you have a problem with the fan.
Even if the problem persists, then shutdown ur PC and take out the round shaped system battery which you can find on ur mobo. Wait for 10 mins and then place it again. Start ur machine..

Hope ur problem will be solved.

Regards,
Shovik.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
To me it seems nobody has given importance to his real problem. It is that the piercing noise is there only when restarting. How do you co-relate it to overheating. But still I think he may first check teperatures through Bios or using some utility

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Just now I am keeping the side door of my cabinet open while using the PC. In this state, I am not experiencing any problems.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Ramakrishnan said:
Just now I am keeping the side door of my cabinet open while using the PC. In this state, I am not experiencing any problems.

Do you have any fan on the side panel? If so, make sure that no wire comes near it when the side panel is fixed. Such a situation can cause noise like that.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Yep...check the fans.....are they lose..Screw them properly in.....make sure no cables are hitting the blades......ckeck if all the fan are fine.....they might be faulty.....

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Make sure the fans are working properly if not replace them. Don't take any chances
do it immediately.

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
There is only one fan above the processor and that is also very far from the panel. When I start the PC, I could see that this fan is working properly.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Use a good cabinet like Zebronics. So monitor your CPU & HD temperatures thro
software. If your cabinet doesn't give good ventilation to dissipate the heat. Then
the over-heating problem arises. You can change your cabinet to Zebronics, that
comes with two fans.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
dude u should record the sound and put it up here.

it obviously can only have one of these sources: a Fan, the Internal speaker, a crashing HDD, a optical drive,FDD, viberations

A fan will make noise if it has got dusty or some wire is touching/in path of the blades and of it is mounted loose. also a pearsing sound is made if one of the blades of the fan break away. this disbalances it and it makes noise.

A speaker can make pearsing sound if there is some connection problem or the circuit driving it(which is on the mobo has gone bad). also it could happen due to sparking. Just the was u hear static on tv/stereo speakers if there is sparking in the power like somewere.

A hdd can also make noise if the inter mech goes bad. but since ur pc is workig so it means the hdds are ok

Optical drives can also make that kind of nice, but if it does it will do so when a disk spins up or down. but is it was ur problem u might have easily noticed it.

Also chk the floppy drive(FDD). may be it has some mech problem.

Viberation: when when the PC starts, lots of mech things move and send viberations over the whole cabinate. see if there are loose screws, panels switches etc. any could be making nice. these noises can appear to happen at specific times due to wave additions and substractions. this i wont explain as it is too compex and most prob useless to u. besides people here havent yet learned to give deserved/correct reputation/thanks here yet. :)

drives of any kind can be making noise only when the PC starts due to the reset signal that i ssend to these divices upon restart so that they can perform special functions(like clear mem, reread disk, spin up, initialise motors etc)

so in the end. we can help only if u post a recording here.

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Ramakrishnan said:

Hmm, possibly a overheating/ventilation problem, because it doesnt occur with the side door open (had it myself)... Also, try removing memory modules from their slot and cleaning any dust from them and their slots... Reseat again carefully...

One more thing, put back the cabinet cover and check if temperature is the problem using a sensor (ASUS comes with a PC Probe software, MSI might have something similar; if not there are a few free software that you can google and download)... Now, if the sensors indicate temperatures are fine, go to the BIOS setting and try disabling the sensor warnings for CPU fan rpm, temperature, etc... It is possible that the sensor might have gone haywire also...

Arun

BTW, excerted from *www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

If an Award BIOS detects that the CPU is overheating it may play a high pitched repeating beep while the computer is running

But, since this error occurs only during restart, it could be a sensor error also

Arun

Last edited:
OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
JGuru said:
Use a good cabinet like Zebronics. So monitor your CPU & HD temperatures thro
software. If your cabinet doesn't give good ventilation to dissipate the heat. Then
the over-heating problem arises. You can change your cabinet to Zebronics, that
comes with two fans.

With my present config, is it possible to house all these in a new cabinet? Your suggestion is good and I am considering changing the cabinet to Zebronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom