Pidgin v2.0.0 released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
After a LONG wait, finally the day is here! Pidgin 2.0.0 goes final!

Pidgin (previously called Gaim) is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, GroupWise Messenger, and Zephyr networks.

Pidgin users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.

Pidgin supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer, away messages, typing notification, and MSN window closing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, spell checking, tabbed conversations, and more.

Download Mirror

eddie

El mooooo
Oh thank the friggin god that they at last released it!!! I just hope they now start importing VV branch in main tree and work on it. Congrats to Pidgin devs on doing a very good job.

P.S. I just love the look of their new page :D

T

thunderbird.117

eddie said:
Oh thank the friggin god that they at last released it!!! I just hope they now start importing VV branch in main tree and work on it. Congrats to Pidgin devs on doing a very good job.

P.S. I just love the look of their new page :D
Not Found

The requested URL /pidgin/home was not found on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /pidgin/about was not found on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /pidgin/news was not found on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /pidgin/donate was not found on this server.

So much for the looks.

eddie

El mooooo
thunderbird.117 said:
So much for the looks.
*www.Photo-Host.org/thumb/801198snapshot1.png
*www.Photo-Host.org/thumb/589039snapshot2.png
*www.Photo-Host.org/thumb/856712snapshot3.png

^ They all work for me :confused:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Sorry, I was online by phone so wasn't able to post the link

Well, GAIM is now renamed to Pidgin IM & the new version 2.0 is out now. In features Pidgin still lacks seriously behind the rest of dedicated IM Clients like MSN & Yahoo messenger cos it doesn't supports Voice & Web cam chat, but still since it is cross platform & supports multiple chat protocols it is good one.

The things I was expecting but didn't see in Pdigin, still not upto the mark. How much time they need to support basic features? 5 years

1) No webcam

2) No Coice chat

3) No file transfer between Pidgin & Yahoo

4) No support for audibles (ok, hardly matters)

5) Not skinable & Protocol Icons are gone from buddy list.

6) GUIFication\Libnotify should be bundled with Pidgin.

I made this icon out of Pidgin Installation screen. For Windows XP & Vista, ico & png are given.

PNG

*img108.imageshack.us/img108/4567/pidginhk3.png

Download Icon

Last edited:
T

thunderbird.117

eddie said:
*www.Photo-Host.org/thumb/801198snapshot1.png
*www.Photo-Host.org/thumb/589039snapshot2.png
*www.Photo-Host.org/thumb/856712snapshot3.png

^ They all work for me :confused:

It is working now. Before it was not working. Maybe they were working on it? :)

T

thunderbird.117

gx_saurav said:
Sorry, I was online by phone so wasn't able to post the link

Well, GAIM is now renamed to Pidgin IM & the new version 2.0 is out now. In features Pidgin still lacks seriously behind the rest of dedicated IM Clients like MSN & Yahoo messenger cos it doesn't supports Voice & Web cam chat, but still since it is cross platform & supports multiple chat protocols it is good one.

The things I was expecting but didn't see in Pdigin, still not upto the mark. How much time they need to support basic features? 5 years

1) No webcam

2) No Coice chat

3) No file transfer between Pidgin & Yahoo

4) No support for audibles (ok, hardly matters)

5) Not skinable & Protocol Icons are gone from buddy list.

6) GUIFication\Libnotify should be bundled with Pidgin.

I made this icon out of Pidgin Installation screen. For Windows XP & Vista, ico & png are given.

PNG

*img108.imageshack.us/img108/4567/pidginhk3.png

Download Icon

This is open source. This developers are making this software has their past time. There are not gaining any sort of money by doing this. So have little patience iam sure this features willl come soon. This is not Microsoft.

comrade said:
this is good but not as good as trillian which include both voice & webcam chat.

what is coice chat?

Well coice is a new feature introduced by gx_saurav. :D

What is does is unknown so far. So let us wait and watch what it does.

Psst :- Coice is a spelling mistake. The correct spelling is voice.

Last edited by a moderator:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Damn you Microsoft natural ergonimcs keyboard 4000 & it's weird shape for the Typo :p
:D
Coice chat = Webcam + Voice chat

& yes, trillian is indeed better. I am myself waiting for trillian Astra which is based on Adobe Aplolo paltform & Yahoo messenger for Vista.

This is open source. This developers are making this software has their past time. There are not gaining any sort of money by doing this. So have little patience iam sure this features willl come soon. This is not Microsoft.

aMSN is out there with support for MSN Webcam, & it is also open source. Can't they integrate that functionality in Pidgin.

mediator

Technomancer
I think becoz of the "legal processes" that were happening, we didn't see much development in GAIM.

Announced on the Gaim mailing lists yesterday, the Gaim project is being renamed. This follows a lengthy and, unfortunately, secret legal process with AOL, which also prevented any code releases except betas. The project will now be known as Pidgin IM. Development is being migrated off of sourceforge.net as well and is now being hosted on developer.pidgin.im
So now since everything is back to normal, we can expect some aggressive development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom