Pidgin 2.3 vs Gutsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
it works no more :D and im not the only 1 having problems ;)

*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=624551&page=2

and no solution found yet .... the problem -

update and when u try to run nothing happens so when u run it thru terminal this is what i get:
Code:
pidgin: symbol lookup error: pidgin: undefined symbol: purple_account_get_current_error

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Did you do sudo apt-get build-dep pidgin ?

Also just add this repo: "deb *www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu gutsy main" to you /etc/apt/sources.list

And import the key: "wget *www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu/937215FF.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -"

This repo contains latest versions of Rhythmbox and Pidgin.. It should have Pidgin 2.3 in a day or two..

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i downloaded the tar.bz2 file and made a make file using ./configure and then ran it and this is what happened :(

no pidgin anymore :(

and im kinda lost as to what u said i got that u want me to add the repo in the sources.list file but the importing key part i did not understand :?:

and adding the repo in sources.list gives me this error when i reload synaptic:

W: GPG error: *www.telemail.fi gutsy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY D0AFFF5E937215FF

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Just run the command "wget *www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu/937215FF.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -" to add the key.. then sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade..

Though the latest version on the repo is 2.2.2.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Is he asking for help or asking for trouble?

just run the commands @kalpik mentioned. Firstly, there is no official package of pidgin for ubuntu. Secondly version 2.0.0 seems to work fine for me.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
pidgin 2.3 was released some time back their site has a big image saying 2.3

arre import aur run mein kitna farak hai yaar ... confuse kyon karte ho mereko - run bolo ya import bolo :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Just copy paste the line in terminal Kalpik has given. The Key is like a certificate saying the contents in that repo are safe.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Just copy paste the line in terminal Kalpik has given. The Key is like a certificate saying the contents in that repo are safe.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
iMav said:
pidgin 2.3 was released some time back their site has a big image saying 2.3
I know that @Imav, like I said, they dont' have a package for ubuntu. I don't think they even have a debian based file of the 2.3 version. I could be wrong though

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ ya no debian file so i dwnldd the source and thought well hey i can compile it only to find out that i had to come back here :(

grudgy idhar kya kar raha hai ... no 1 is fighting here ek thread lock kar k aaram nahi mila kya

kalpik said:
Did you do sudo apt-get build-dep pidgin ?

Also just add this repo: "deb *www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu gutsy main" to you /etc/apt/sources.list

And import the key: "wget *www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu/937215FF.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -"

This repo contains latest versions of Rhythmbox and Pidgin.. It should have Pidgin 2.3 in a day or two..
u are a genius .... i updated though it took a lot of time coz i added a few more security updates .... but the best part i got pidgin 2.3 waah waah ... too good man too good

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
afaik there is a site which gives direct download of latest ubuntu software including pidgin.forgot it :( no repos for that site.direct downloads!
edit:sry,pidgin is not there :(
*getdeb.net

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
iMav, am amazed that you tried compiling a package.

Gradually u r getting hang of open source :D

ray|raven

Think Zen.
If you cant find a package,compile it urself.
its not that hard.
grab the source from here : *downloads.sourceforge.net/pidgin/pidgin-2.3.0.tar.bz2

Regards,
ray

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Now this is strange. It really is! I'm using the same repos as given by Kalpik and the latest version there is 2.2.2!

@iMav
The fonts look a bit screwed up. Why don't you try tweakin them a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom