Performance Disk drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HellFragger

i wanted ur opinons on the following :

1) Is is better to buy the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB or any other 1TB drive ? is the performance difference significant ? Storage review says so....so if any of u already bought can please throw some light.

2) I already have 500+250+160+160 drives. i plan to sell the two 160 ones and buy a 1TB. which drive should i make the OS drive for performance sake ?

3) Is it a good option to purchase a SSD and make it the OS drive ? After all , small file read is way too fast on SSDs

4) Any other 1TB alternative drive u might wanna suggest ?

PS: not to sound rude...and i am really sorry in advance....but n00bs need not reply...if u know stuff feel free to answer....;)

goobimama

 Macboy
2. The 1TB one would give best performance
3. No. Not yet. The performance is not that great and they are really expensive. Better to set up a RAID.

And nice job with the n00b alert.

OP
H

HellFragger

My point was

3) even a 4GB or 8GB SSD from Mtron would suffice for OS and would be real fast...

Any idea about the pricing of the Western Digital Caviar BLACK 1TB in Mumbai/Kolkata/Delhi ?

PS: I am an admin...though not on this forum. I know how to keep n00bs at bay :D

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
500GB Seagete has real vfm, bout 3.3k for 16MB and 3.8k for 32MB
get two of them in raid 0.
And installing OS on the raid partition will give a nice boost, and also set pagefile on raid partition.
btw, y do u need so much storage?

u can add those HDDs which is for mere storage and dun need high speed, using a PCI to sata card.
so u can add more HDDs.

Last edited:
OP
H

HellFragger

aight...time to give the full picture....

I have all the IMDB top 250 movies + TV series +Anime one would care for....in DVDs and on ma HDDs.....oflate i gre lazy enough not to burn....as putting a DVD in and then watching anythign gives ma butt some serious excercise !!! i think i am clear till here...why i need so much storage...eventually by april 2009 it will be 4x1TB ( just the proffs should clear ma funds )

back when i bought ma system...i had RAID 0 and have experimented well with RAID numbers.
but with multiple file reads and writes....RAID sucks unless you get a dedicated controller card ( I had onboard ASUS A8N-E) . Also Raid aint much as it is touted to be....small files yess......fetchign speed rox but large files remains more or less same.and i have 1080p 8GB HDrips to take off...

So thnx but no thnx i wont go the RAID way.

If only some wise old guy who purchsed the Caviar Black recently can confirm about all the goodness and the halo around the said HDD.....i would get the disk right away ;)

kindly name the price as well....i heard 11700 at Lamington ...is it ?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
k, but y do u need so much performance?
500GB[3.3k]*4=2TB @ roughly 13k
u can use them with a PCI sata card.

OP
H

HellFragger

use pf PCI sata card decreases performance....not to mention obstruction to air flow....
with 4 SATA ports in A8N-E...i want to draw the last juices out in terms of performance...

and i dotn want to loose on capacity...4TB ;)

and finally no other drive except the Caviar Black WD1001FALS performs as good....not even Spinpoint F1s no matter what the capacity ( kindly leave out Velociraptors )

this is my third system....I always leave the mobo-proc fried when i turn to buy a new one....but ASUS made mobo good....so how can i compromise on performance if the mobo fails to burn up ;)

GeekyBoy

In the zone
Why do you need so much storage space? Even I was doing fine with 40 GB until recently when my drive craqshed.

goobimama

 Macboy
PS: I am an admin...though not on this forum. I know how to keep n00bs at bay :D
I was being sarcastic with my reply. You are new here and that's the end of story. I don't care if you are admin on some other forum. Our so called n00bs are can feel free to reply in any thread so warnings like that are not well received.

OP
H

HellFragger

I was being sarcastic with my reply. You are new here and that's the end of story. I don't care if you are admin on some other forum. Our so called n00bs are can feel free to reply in any thread so warnings like that are not well received.

you see the kind of replies i am getting...all missing the point that i want a first hand user's xperience here....not their sissy questions "why do you need so much storage" and "i was fine with 40gb".

as for ur being sarcastic...it was totally unnecessary at that point !

now if no body has laid hands on the caviar black...stop posting ur jibber-jabber...

for those wondering what i do with so much storage... well think about any TV series Anime or Movie and its on ma HDD HD quality assorted.

on a serious note: I aint throwing atti around here....i need serious advice about the said HDD before i buy one.I am not new to this forum..just that too lazy to remember passwords...and have to recreate new accounts every now and then....

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Good going Goobimama, we don't need people here who claim to sign up multiple times coz they're too lazy to remember passwords, or those who throw attitude. If member behave like this, and come here to "use" this forum without giving a damn for the rules, please permanent ban them or ban their e-mail addresses.

You miserabled... I deleted! If he comes back, keep banning his email IDs, and IPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom