pc upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommakers

Journeyman
I know you all guys are tryting to help me.. but let me make this interesting.. as this is very important to me... who will suggest me best configuration and whose configuration I will use, I will give a subdomain and 250mb space for 3 months or a subdomain and 25mb space for 6 months

hello friends

i am freelance webdesigner by job. I have following configuration now...

p4 2.4 Ghz
512mb ram
40gb HDD

Dont remember/know about motherboard it something like GVSR board.. i know its intel original board

acutlly because of latest adobe products i used and my hobby of playing 3d games.. I think i need to upgrade my pc.. in short i need to upgrade my pc such a way that it fullfill all my design needs and gaming needs.. faster pc with graphics and gaming.. i should play 3d games as well and faster randering of graphics

Here are my questions

[1] I may upgrade processor if you think it best.

[2]i want to upgrade ram from 512mb to 1gb which company's ram.. i heard I should buy ram based on board.. if it support differnt module support or channel something?

[3] very important i need a motherboard who supports all cards and addons for graphics needs like agp card/graphic card ... GPU [i dont know properly whats GPU.. is it supplimentry of graphic card ? or different thing?] I need such a board.. which support current all addons/cards and if possible future upgrade of about 2 years

[4] i think i should stick with pentium proccesor.. or should i try AMD?

I think I should have Intel only.. Please suggest Intel based configuraitons

please guys give me your suggestions

regards

Last edited:

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
dotcommakers said:
hello friends

i am freelance webdesigner by job. I have following configuration now...

p4 2.4 Ghz
512mb ram
40gb HDD

Dont remember/know about motherboard it something like GVSR board.. i know its intel original board

acutlly because of latest adobe products i used and my hobby of playing 3d games.. I think i need to upgrade my pc.. in short i need to upgrade my pc such a way that it fullfill all my design needs and gaming needs.. faster pc with graphics and gaming.. i should play 3d games as well and faster randering of graphics

Here are my questions

[1] I may upgrade processor if you think it best.

[2]i want to upgrade ram from 512mb to 1gb which company's ram.. i heard I should buy ram based on board.. if it support differnt module support or channel something?

[3] very important i need a motherboard who supports all cards and addons for graphics needs like agp card/graphic card ... GPU [i dont know properly whats GPU.. is it supplimentry of graphic card ? or different thing?] I need such a board.. which support current all addons/cards and if possible future upgrade of about 2 years

[4] i think i should stick with pentium proccesor.. or should i try AMD?

please guys give me your suggestions

regards

1-Go for AMD 3000+/3200+

2-Get at least 1GB RAM and buy 2 sticks of 512MB and run them in dual channel mode. In order to run RAM in dual channel, put the sticks in same coloured slots.

3-Asus A8N-E will be the choice of the board and it supports all the latest features except SLI and IEEE firewire. GPU or graphics processing unit is just another name for the video/graphics card. The board supports PCI-express, the latest graphics interface, so you can be safe in the near future. For graphics card choices in the mid-range segment can be 6800GS/7600GS/7600GT. Prices will range between 8k and 13k depending on the choice.

4-Stick with AMD.

OP
dotcommakers

dotcommakers

Journeyman
great so amd will be right choice right? 3000 is the latest processor there right?

AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 3000+. Whats that 64 socket? for ram which company is good?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
dotcommakers said:
great so amd will be right choice right? 3000 is the latest processor there right?

AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 3000+. Whats that 64 socket? for ram which company is good?

Athlon 64 supports 64 bit software which will become popular in the near future, while having support for the current 32 bit also.

A 64 3000 is not the only choice. You can buy 3200, 3500 etc. Or go for dual cores like 3800, 4200 etc. Or even wait for the AM2 or Intel Conroe which will be making their appearance in the coming months.

For Ram you can get branded ones like Transcend, Kingston, Corsair etc. But make sure to buy identical pairs for dual channel operation.

Last edited:

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
See, one thing is clear, AMD has shorter pipelines so that data can be loaded and unloaded very fast, so it is good for gaming in which data has to be loaded/unloaded VERY fast......

Intel has longer pipelines in which data is kept for more time, it is good for designing in which data has to be kept for more times....

In layman's language, AMD rocks for gaming, and
Intel is very good for designing and multitasking

OP
dotcommakers

dotcommakers

Journeyman
Okay Thetopcyborg!

I think I should go for Intel. I am using my pc for almost 15 to 16 hours a day. I am designer so Intel will be best I think.

Can anyone suggest me best combination please?

[1] Motherboard which support all latest addons like graphic cards. [plz give me one best choice, which you think, is the best.]
[2] Processor
[3] Graphic card

Regards

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Amd 64 3500 Venice
Asus A8N E
2 X 512mb DDR 400 Transcend (UCCC chips, if not available then Hynix D43 chips), corsair value select is not supported with this motherboard.
if you do photoshop and all then rather get 2 X 1gb
Geforce 7300GT, any graphic card you take will practically have no difference to your work,

even cpu won't help you by a dozen.
hdd: for graphics : as much as possible: depends on you

pm me for best possible config for requirement

if you are going to game then get atleast 2gb ram with 7600GT or higher (>10k).
recommended min: 7900GT around 17k+
recommended : 1900xt around 30k

all these are graphic cards]

i would say wait for intel c2d and fall in x2 prices to buy a good dual core

Last edited:
OP
dotcommakers

dotcommakers

Journeyman
john_the_ultimate said:
Would be helpful if u tell us ur budget.
I want best permonace pc.. i can spend upto 50,000 or more.... I earn from it so i can spend more on this!!

akshayt said:
Amd 64 3500 Venice
Asus A8N E
2 X 512mb DDR 400 Transcend (UCCC chips, if not available then Hynix D43 chips), corsair value select is not supported with this motherboard.
if you do photoshop and all then rather get 2 X 1gb
Geforce 7300GT, any graphic card you take will practically have no difference to your work,

even cpu won't help you by a dozen.
hdd: for graphics : as much as possible: depends on you

pm me for best possible config for requirement

if you are going to game then get atleast 2gb ram with 7600GT or higher (>10k).
recommended min: 7900GT around 17k+
recommended : 1900xt around 30k

all these are graphic cards]

i would say wait for intel c2d and fall in x2 prices to buy a good dual core
Humm I think I will choose Intel Processor.. not AMD.. Its not good for me.... [Heating problem you know!]

Akshay John Please suggest me Any Intel based configuration... my needs are

motherboard
processor
ram
graphic card

Regards.

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal or Gigabyte GA-8I955X Royal
Processor -> Intel Pentium D 820/830/840 any of these
Ram -> 2GB (1GB x 2 sticks)
Graphics Card -> Anything above 6600gt (which comes in ur budget).

For price check with ur local vendors.

By the way AMD runs cooler than INTEL. So no heating problem with AMD.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
dotcommakers wrote
"Humm I think I will choose Intel Processor.. not AMD.. Its not good for me.... [Heating problem you know!]"

For the last few years and even now, it has been AMD which was running very cool and it was Intel which was heating up and consuming lot of power. The situation may change with the introduction of Core 2 Duo from Intel, later this month, but God alone knows when it will be available to us

OP
dotcommakers

dotcommakers

Journeyman
john_the_ultimate said:
Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal or Gigabyte GA-8I955X Royal
Processor -> Intel Pentium D 820/830/840 any of these
Ram -> 2GB (1GB x 2 sticks)
Graphics Card -> Anything above 6600gt (which comes in ur budget).

For price check with ur local vendors.

By the way AMD runs cooler than INTEL. So no heating problem with AMD.
6600gt mean which company

will that gigabyte board will have four slot for ram or two?

will it have all card support?

also

John, Janitha currently i have two pc one is AMD 2200 and second is P4 2200

sorry not to offense you but

when i went to purchase AMD .. vendor itself says AMD will heat much in comparison of P4 so he advise me to keep two fans :) thats why i am saying.. and also my one friend which is motherboard repairer and my nephew who works in a computer hardware office also told me ... not to use AMD

pawannayak

Right off the assembly line
Hey there I have two or three suggestions if you dont mind... i will list them as I go along

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ - SOCKET 939
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 - SOCKET 939
Memory: 1GB DDR Kit (2 X 512MB) OCZ or Corsair
Video Cards :Gigabyte GV-N68U256D 256MB GeForce 6800 Ultra
or Gigabyte GV-R80X256V 256MB X800 XT
Antec True Power 480W and case
Seagate ST3200822A (200GB) Baracuda 7200RPM (8MB cache)
Lite On DVD+/-R/RW Drive

Thats one.. will let you know of another if required

AMD Recommendation
Processor: Athlon 64 4000+ 90nm
Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR
Memory: 2x512MB DDR OCZ or Corsair minimum
PCIe SLI GPU: 2 x 6800GT - eVGA, MSI, or XFX
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA or Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 16MB SATA
Lite-On DVD+/-R/RW
Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W AND CASE

Intel Recommendation
Processor: Pentium 650 3.4GHz 2MB
Motherboard: MSI P4N Diamond or ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
Memory: 2x512MB DDR2 Corsair

Heres one more it might cost around 15-20k more than your budget

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
dotcommakers said:
6600gt mean which company

will that gigabyte board will have four slot for ram or two?

will it have all card support?

also

John, Janitha currently i have two pc one is AMD 2200 and second is P4 2200

sorry not to offense you but

when i went to purchase AMD .. vendor itself says AMD will heat much in comparison of P4 so he advise me to keep two fans :) thats why i am saying.. and also my one friend which is motherboard repairer and my nephew who works in a computer hardware office also told me ... not to use AMD

For 6600gt go for any brand such as XFX,LEADTEK,MSI,GAINWARD etc.

For gigabyte mobo..see the details here GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal -> *www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=180 for review see this *www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1952

For review of Gigabyte GA-81955X Royal see here: *www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1834

And one more thing, the heating issue regarding AMD is the thing of the past.
Now AMD cpu runs cooler and consumes less power than Intel. And its price to performance ration is certainly better than Intel (in most cases).

Last edited:

pawannayak

Right off the assembly line
Processor Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz (Dual-Core)
Motherboard Gigabyte G1975X (Socket 775)
RAM 2 x 512 MB DDR2-667 any
Hard disks 2 x 160 GB Samsung HD160JJ (7200 U/min) [320 GB in a RAID 0 array]
Graphics card Asus EN7600 GT, 256 MB, 350 MHz
Minimum 500W power supply and any good case like Antec
DVD-burner LG GSA-H10A

This is for all those Intel fans

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sorry not to offense you but when i went to purchase AMD .. vendor itself says AMD will heat much in comparison of P4 so he advise me to keep two fans :) thats why i am saying.. and also my one friend which is motherboard repairer and my nephew who works in a computer hardware office also told me ... not to use AMD[/QUOTE said:
The vendors will have their own interests and agenda, and most of them are ignorant really. As of now, it is Intel whcih will require more case fans.

And the repairer and your friend might have been referring to the AMD processors which were popular years ago.

OP
dotcommakers

dotcommakers

Journeyman
ok in is AMD 64 willl increase perfomance? and will it be ok to run win xp pro [not 64] ? Will all softwares work fine?

I am confused.. should i go for intel or AMD :)

i checked..

*www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10272,00.html

So new processors are not heating so much?

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Amd is good for gaming but for multimedia and graphic related stuff, Intel exceeds (not by much). But dual core from both AMD and INTEL are good.
So if u r buying dual core CPU then opt for anyone, depending on ur budget.
Dual core is certainly future proof.

As for heating.....I have AMD64 3000+ (stock frequency 1.8GHz) running at 2.7GHz on stock cooling with idle temp. of 40-41C and load temp. of 52-53C.
So guess AMD surely runs cooler.
Before had Intel Prescott 3.0GHz HT......idle temp, of 48-49C and load of 65-66C.

One more thing I am running WINXP PRO 32-bit on it and also have used 64-bit version. So no problem with compatiblity with 32-bit and 64-bit version. Even vista runs fine on my friends machine (AMD64 3500+).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom