Pc speed is too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunil02

Right off the assembly line
I am having p IV 1.80 Ghz with 512mb ram and i am using winxp pro but my pc speed is too slow what i can do please suggest me

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
:?: slow in what???...general windows is slow???like few secs to open up start button...!??

:arrow: go to run > type msconfig > remove all enteries except ones related to antivirus.

:arrow: delete temp internet files,clear history,clear SSL state..

:arrow: run spybot nd ad-aware....

nd reboot with ur fingers crossed!!!

Major-Minor

Broken In
Yep, grinning devil is right, it seems to be to be either a case of a virus or some adware/malware/spyware.
Run the Antivirus program, also run Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D - which are the best in the business.

tuxfan

Technomancer
How about a simple defrag? When did you do that last time? That could improve performance.

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Many Reasons.........

Virus...Worms....Malware...Adware...Spyware.......

For all of the above use Ad-Aware or Norton AV / AVG / Avast, etc....
Dont forget to install Zone Alarm.....

Another Reason:

:arrow: IDE Driver Corruption In Windows XP

Just Use Nero or Quickbench to test ur HDD speed.....

5400rpm -> 20Mbps to 40Mbps

7200rpm -> 30Mbps to 55mbps

You get Anything below that, do the foll.:

1. Open Device Manager

2. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

3. Uninstall all three, Primary n Secondary IDE & IDE Bus Controller.

4. It will ask u to restart ur comp., click on Ok.

5. After restarting XP will install all the drivers again on its own....n ask u to restart again...Click on OK...

6. Check ur HDD speed again, if its improved, well n good, if not the problem is Virus....Spyware....etc.

P.S.:: Dont forget the Defrag n 5 stage scandisk on startup....!!!

OP
S

sunil02

tuxfan said:
How about a simple defrag? When did you do that last time? That could improve performance.
now i have formate the c drive and reinstall the winxp but no improvement is there

OP
S

sunil02

i am install winxp on my computer after conecting the internet i got a error message (YOUR PC WILL BE SHUT DOWN WITHIN 60 SEC) and pc will be shutdown

mamba

In the zone
vot u got there is a worm or somethin , happened 2 me all the time . used 2 get YOUR PC WILL BE SHUT DOWN . n i got only 30 secs . LUCKY GUY
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

but tis cool now , put on the windows firewalll n scan ur comp 4 viruses . this problem will b solved

herz 4 making ur comp faster .....

1. my comp --> properties --> advanced --> performance --> settings --> visual settings --> adjust 4 best performance --> OK

2. run --> msconfig --> services --> uncheck Error Reporting Service , Messenger , IPSEC Services , Remote Registry , Smart Card Helper , Smart Card , Uninterruptable Power Supply , Portable Media Serial No Service , Automatic Updates & Wireless Zero Configuration ( well these r all vot i have done )

3. run --> msconfig --> startup --> n uncheck all those programs u dont wanna run n dont need ( some may be backdrop programs 4 ur virus , worm or trojan )

4. run --> system.ini --> under [386enh] , make a new field ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
vot this system.ini mod does is , it forces the RAM 2 b fully utilized 1st then , implements the swap file ( if necessary ) . n u no accessin RAM is faster than accessin the swap file (which is on ur HDD )

5. Supposin ur XP is in the C drive , defrag ur D drive (votever its in ur nomenclature , defrag the the next drive 2 ur system drive). now -
my comp --> properties --> advanced --> performance --> settings --> advanced --> virtual memory --> change --> select D: frm the drive list --> Paging file size 4 select drive --> custom size --> Initial Size --> 512 --> Max Size --> 1024 --> Set --> OK

this should c ur compu upto the speed ur expecting

hey moderator if ur readin this make this a sticky coz i invested a lot of in this n well definately help others , squeazing that extra bit without no OCing

geek

Broken In
Welcome to the world of computer viruses. Your system has been infected with either the Sasser or the Blaster virus. download the patches here Sasser Blaster

indro

In the zone
wow ... so many didffernet possible ways of getting his PC working fast , makes me remember the good old Dell Tech Support days :p

supersaiyan

In the zone
firstly install spybot search and destroy from a digit dvd . then update ur virus definitions. then run safe mode. first run the antivirus and then spybot.then reboot again into safemode. after that run scandisk , system file checker(go to run box and type sfc) and then defrag ur hdd. then while in safe mode go to msconfig and untick all the programs that u don't wanna run. if u cannot recognise the programs u can run spybot click on tools and system startup . there will be a list of all the programs in ur msconfig list. if u click on one of them a description of it will appear on the side. then restart into normal windows. check whether the virus has been removed or not. if yes then go to system perfomance and select windows classic appearance and also select best perfomance. then restart again and voila ur pc will be faster.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
geek said:
get Service Pack 2 for windows XP. its ur safest bet for safeguarding ur system

:shock: SP2 is sufficient for safeguarding is it?????
well its better than the initial release but u need a collection of "updated" softwarez to keep the PC running smooth all the time....

nd i clearly mention "updated" bcoz i have seen ppl just download the software nd completely forget abt upgrading it's core signature files..for eg downloading adaware nd using outdated signature files is of no use...!!!
so keeep updating....!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom