Pc restarting frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techmastro

Journeyman
I assembled a pc recently with following config.
AMD athlon 64bit 2800+ with MSI motherboard
512 ddr 400MHz ram
80 gb hdd (old used one)

Now my pc is restarting frequently with only error message appearing tht your pc has recovered from serious error. There is no blue screen or something like that.
Also many times pc refuses to start saying "No bootable disk found" even though my CD rom is having second priority in boot sequence
My hard disk has problems of bad file structure which i get rectified with help of friend.
Cant anyone suggest me reason for above problem. I have experience of assembling pc so chances to any assembling error are negligible.
Thanks

mvishnu

Broken In
is it bcos your power supply is insufficient?... ut then, it should restart only when you run intensive progs.

OP
T

Techmastro

Journeyman
@ mvishnu
Thanks for reply but i have 450 watts SMPS & i dont have any such intensive hardware or prog as u said.

eddie

El mooooo
Looks like you have automatic restart enabled in your XP. Disable it using these steps
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then click OK. The error message should remain on the screen so that you can record the error information.
Now when the system encounters and error...it will show a Blue Screen with error. Note the complete error on a paper. It will be a long one but you have to note it down in full.

In the end if I had to make a guess, I would say that your hard disk is having problems. If it had developed bad file structure then imho you should format and reinstall.

OP
T

Techmastro

Journeyman
I tried my friend hdd on my computer but still problem persists.
Pc restarts as soon as windows begin to load.
Both hdd (my old one & friends's hdd) showed similar problem so chances of hdd error are gone.
Plz anybody help

eddie

El mooooo
Do you and your friend both have same hardware setup? If not then you won't be able to boot from your friend's HDD. The basic motherboard drivers on your friend's HDD will not work on your mobo and thus XP will keep restarting. Another way you can check is boot your system using a Live OS CD. May be like Knoppix. If the system still restarts, you have some other hardware problem, else...HDD!

OP
T

Techmastro

Journeyman
I installed OS & MB drivers also in my friend hdd still problem persists.
I think there is some other problem apart from hdd

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Wat abt the possibility of a faulty RAM module ?? Hv u checked tat too !!! And wat abt error of Jumpers??

Cheers n e-peace.....

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
i will still say that ur power supply may not be sufficient. I have two HDDs 160 barracuda and 40 GB Samsung. PLus sony DVD rom and Sony CD writer. I have an INTEX 400W smps ( i really doubt if it is actually 400W, it costs only 650 bucks).
I always keep both optical drives and 160 gb barracuda connected. When i connect the samsung 40 GB HDD as IDE i get exactly same errors as that of urs. Only cd/dvd drives get detected in BIOS. But if optical drives and then connect 40 GB samsung HDD the PC works fine.
Once I had a customers Antec 350W smps for 2 days. I connected it and all four IDE devices worked well, together.

SO that's why tell us the make and the cost of ur SMPS.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Check all connections on the motherboard... Take out the RAM modules, cables, cards, clean them carefully and put them back and make sure they are all seated properly. If problem persists, have a service technician look at the motherboard...

Arun

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Techmastro said:
Thanks guys I get my MB and RAM both checked
Both had faults so i get them replaced.
Thanx all for ur replies

Ok, but once your HDD has started developing bad sectors, it is most likely to continue developing them. So better take back ups and replace the disk at the earliest.

V.Prem Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom