PC DVD ROM and the region format ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthikrathinavelu

Right off the assembly line
Will the region format concerns for PC DVD ROM also? currently i am in india and the DVDs that i have bought are all of region 5 format and it is playing fine so far and i am planning to buy some DVDs for amazon.com and it has only region 1 and co.uk contains only region 2. the japan or france has their owns fonts and i am not able to read even a word from it. So can i buy those region 1 & 2 DVDs and play it in my system without any problem? I dont care whether it is playable in home DVD players or not. if it playable in my system it is fine for me.

My DVD writer is Samsung and the software that i use for DVD Playback is PowerDVD 4.0.

I have one more doubt, i have taken an image of DVD video disc (4.46 GB) using nero 6.0 and tried to write it on a DVD-R (4.7 GB) and the progress bar in Nero just stops at 1% and Lead-in display & continues to be in there for some hell lot of time (some 45 minutes ... when i tried to close nero it hangs and finally i shud close it manually and thro away the DVD) ... is it usual or something abnormal? the DVD writer is writing perfectly for CDs ... only for the DVDs i am getting this problem. How long a writing a 4.7 GB DVD might take place?

Clarify these doubts. thank u

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
You are saying that the DVD you are trying to copy is 4.46 GB. The DVD-R that you are trying to copy to is 4.37 GB (although it says 4.7GB). So there isn't enough space to copy it on the writable DVD.
You will need a dual layer disc to make a copy.

If the DVD is copy protected, you have to use DVD Decrypetr to rip it to your HDD and then burn it to a blank. You can't directly use Nero. Get DVD Decrypter here *www.dvddecrypter.org

Use Nero InfoTool to check if your drive is RPC I or RPC II. If it is RPC II, then you will have to change to a firmware version that is RPC I. Only RPC I drives are region free.

If you have still problems playing the disc with PowerDVD, just rip the entire DVD to your HDD with DVD Decrypter and play it off your HDD.

OP
K

karthikrathinavelu

Right off the assembly line
Thank u so much for that reply Mr. Arun mehta. I will check it out, since i already have DVD Decrypter with me. As far as the firmware is concern, i dont get it. How to update the firmwares? Is there any specific sites to mention...?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
To know exactly which firmware would be best for you, how to download it and install it, post your query here *club.cdfreaks.com/

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
The first query is already posted many times. Take some time to search the forums, and i myself posted one time, and that reply i am posting again...

U can remove the region code using firmware upgrade, see this for more info...
*www.artecusa.com/tech-support-firmware.html

But anyways, i have never tried it, and ask support from members/dealers before going on...

Hmm... after u unlock ur drive, u can install DVD Region Free, It also supports region-locked (RPC-2) DVD drive, and does not require firmware modifications. It has no previous limitations and it will work, even if you can not change the DVD drive's region anymore.

*www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

karthikrathinavelu said:
How long a writing a 4.7 GB DVD might take place?
Hmm... in a 2X writing speeds it take 13-14 mins.

shaunak

Tux Fan
even i strongly sugges u get region free. best of all it ships electronicaly so u dont pay for shipping!!! get the standard or lite one though. dont spurge on pro vresion. not much use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom