pasword protect folders & files on USB/CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I will be travelling for a training & in a weeks time I will be giving presentation which will be on usb drive & dvds.
My past experience is that people have a habbit of asking shamelessly, or connecting & copying the data from usb drive. I will be using 3rd party laptop / desktop.

So I want some software which ask for a password when opening a file or a folder, it should not require same software on 3rd party computer.

Is it possible, if yes any software to do this, any user experience to be shared. Searching the forum I see lot many threads to copy protect CDs but what I want is password protect folders on cd, so even if they copy they cannot open the folder.

champ_rock

champ_rock
how about a winrar or winzip passowrd protection??

just add ur folder to winzip or winrar and apply a password.. simple..

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
And if u r using Transcend Pen drive, then it comes with mFormat Utility. U can set password to the Pen drive using it :D

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
champ_rock said:
how about a winrar or winzip passowrd protection??

just add ur folder to winzip or winrar and apply a password.. simple..
I thought about that but to run any presentation it needs to be unzipped & in that state it can easily copied.

Can u tell me more about this mformat, how does this work?

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
mFormat can be used to format/partition Transcend pen drives and while formatting the drive, u can assign a password :D
When u'll insert the pen drive, it'll show only a file mformat.exe in it. Open it and give password, if the password will be correct, then it'll show the contents, otherwise not ;)

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Redhat , I saw that thread before posting this, since It did not mention removable drives I left it there assuming that it will only do on regular drive.

Thanks Vishal,
that sounds to be of what I need, I will look for transcend usb drive, I need 2gb any recomendation?

Last edited:

champ_rock

champ_rock
ranjan2001 said:
I thought about that but to run any presentation it needs to be unzipped & in that state it can easily copied.

Can u tell me more about this mformat, how does this work?
r they powerpoint presentations?? then simply protect the presentations itself by a password using the Password protection available in OFFICE itself..

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Thanks Vishal,I will look for that one tomorrow.

Chaprock I have all kind of files ppt/pdf/jpgs/ animated gif/mov/avi/exe/ etc so I could do what you suggested & I thought so but I actually need drive security which does not open & show contents on connection.

Guys any such thing for the dvds?

Redhat I tried ur small little software & it works fine, hope it will do the same for USB too but will it work on dvd, I guess the host computer does not need this software I can carry this with the CD/usb too.

all I got to know was kingston pen drives in the market.

Last edited:

Shasanka_Gogoi

In the zone
I have been using Folder Lock for all my locking needs. It does a great job in password protecting ur files on ur thumb drive & ur PC as well. U can take ur protected files to any PC and access them on that PC without needing to install Folder lock on that PC. You can find a trial version from any download site.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Can u please post direct link to that, as I find many software on google by that name, dont know which one I should try.

Last edited:

qq2113

Right off the assembly line
This software lets you password protect folders and files without it being too much trouble, making it ideal for home use. The interface offers a compromise between security and ease of use.

*www.tomdownload.com/utilities/security_encryption/folder_security_personal.htm

Download site:
*www.flydownload.com/download/utilities/fspsetup.exe

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
using mFormat, you can also have two different partitions on the same pen drive. So on one of the partitions you can keep you personal stuff and on the other you can keep you business stuff.

Plus, Transcend also has another Multi use utility, which has lets you password protect files using a encyption which the utility handles. That sould suffice for your purpose i guess.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Use this utility. Partition the disk, make a security area (small) then you will have a default pass 0000, then change the pass. You're done.

Link:

*geocities.com/cyberdony2k/usb.zip
or
*rapidshare.com/files/12246279/usb.zip.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom