Partition Dilemma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

martian

Broken In
Windows distinguishes each and every partitions and devices using alphabets (A: C: D: E: etc..). My question here is "Is there a limit to how much such logical drives it can address, say Z:"? Lets suppose I got a 500 GB HDD, some 20 partitions, a DVD combo, thumb drive, card reader, etc.. will Windows be able to address all those?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Yes , Windows can , provided you have 24 partitions (from C to Z).
As far a Linux is concerned there is no limit!! (You allocate partition for
root (/) and swap). I think in Windows you can't go beyond Z!!.

khansdream

Journeyman
Can't go beyond Z:...?????????????

Disgusting yaaaar, I am not sure bcoz I still have to wait for 500G HDD and all those external drives.

But can guess, windows would be struck at Z: or may be at P: or perhaps S:

Whats say..............????:D

OP
martian

martian

Broken In
Only till Z: ? :-(. Lets hope if I get to configure my PC like that Windows doesnt choke! Yeah, I've heard thats not a problem with Linux!

Last edited:

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
well i have reached X:
i have two 200gb sata in raid 0(multiple partitions)
one 80 gb pata(multiple partitions)
dvdrw
dvdrom
floppy
daemon (2 drvs)
nero img drive
external usb hdd
ipod
usb memstick and
a memory card reader...

EDIT: my system is perfectley stable!!!

and guys i think after Z: is over then we can add more drives/partitions by mounting them in folders(NTFS) in other drives thru disk management...(some one pls confirm)

Last edited:

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
maybe we can go beyond z: drive....as alcohol 120% says that it can go upto 36 vietual drives(aldo it provides 6max. to me)...

and if it's not capable to go beyond z: in xp, it MUST be in Vista as Microsoft must be aware of the higher capacity drives and the need for partitioning....

I hope some Vista tester sees this.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Yes, you cannot go beyond Z: and guys, get real, why the hell would you wanna create sooo many partitions? Ok, consider you have a 500 GB hard disk.. If u have such a hard disk, you must have pretty big files to store.. supposy you create 100 partitions, then you just have 5 GB per partition! Which restricts your max file size to 5 GB! IMHO, the lesser partitions you have, the better it is. I have a 120 GB hard disk with only 2 partitions.

OP
martian

martian

Broken In
The reason I find need for several partitions is many... Lets suppose you like to work on some 3 or 4 Linux flavours... 2 or 3 Windows flavours... a Floppy Drive, DVD Combo, Thumb Drive, Card Reader, Mobile Phone, my friends' HDD to copy files... Ha, and in a few months' time how can I go without a Mac OS in my PC, Blu-ray, HD-DVD... Just Imagine! Windows would choke right?

Last edited:

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
Ha! by the time u manage to lay hands on all that stuff.. new windows will be available and it will not have that limitation

OP
martian

martian

Broken In
You are right Rollercoaster, Windows surely will have a brand new face by then... Windows Vista and all~ Lets wait and see. Thanx folks. It was quite a help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom