Partial upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire

Broken In
After three long years its finally time for me to upgrade. MY present config is P-4(1.7 GHz), VIA motherboard with S3(Prosavage DDR) onboard graphics with 32m shared memory, 128MB SDRAM, Samsung 40GB 5400 HDD........ Now i m thinking to upgrade my motherboard(probably 865GBF), RAM(probably to 512MB 400MHz) n buying a new graphics card (probably geforce FX5700) keeping the same processor. My budget is 12000 plus the price i would get by selling my present MOBO n RAM. so guys please help me by suggesting a good config in this range n also ATI replacement for FX5700.
..........Thanx in advance

theraven

Technomancer
id say u need a config within 15k .... keepin uur old monitor
sorry fella u wont get what u want in that much ... not the graphics card atleast
ill try and suggest one for 15k without monitor
amd 2400 sempron : 3850
Asus ViA Chipset ( Till 3200XP) A7V400-MX : 3350
512 md ddr 400 ram : 3800
and an fx 5200 : 3500
plus cabinet with 400 w psu : 1500
thats abt 16000
provided u keep ur old hard disk and monitor
im sorry m8 u cant get anything else for such a low budget

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
fire i'd suggest that you put in some more dough and get a AMD 64 rig, so that you'd be on the safer side later. I'd suggest that you go for the foll:
AMD 64 2800+ 6.9k
MSI K8MM-ISLR - 5.4k
Kingston DDR400 512Mb - 4.5k
ATi Radeon 9600pro - 8.5k or the 9600Np for 6.8k

Total comes to arnd 25k with the 9600pro and 23k with the 9600np.

Give this a thought since this config will be future comtible ;)

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
raven..I dont think he wants to change his processor...and so dont think he needs the AMD Seperon...the mobo u suggested is for AMD but if hes gonna stick with Intel I dont think it can be used.

fire: I would suggest taking up what raven said tho. I think this will last you easily for another 1-2 years esp with 64bit processors and PCI-E and DDR2 coming into the market upgrades are on the way....

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
icecoolz said:
fire: I would suggest taking up what raven said tho. I think this will last you easily for another 1-2 years esp with 64bit processors and PCI-E and DDR2 coming into the market upgrades are on the way....

Dude Raven suggested a 32 bit rig ! Who are you referring to ? :?

theraven

Technomancer
@icecoolz
yeah i thot of that first
but then its gonna be a b!tc|-| keepin the old processor and upgrading
besides
guys please help me by suggesting a good config in this range
and yeah i suggested a 32 bit system :( but then it was the budget i couldnt help it :p
:D

[flAsh]

In the zone
U wont get the return u expect 4 ur old mobo & RAM bcoz of new innovations get cheaper. Wud recommend u keeping that comp and buy another based on AMD 64 processor. Or if wanna upgrade surely then u can go 4 the mobo and ram u mentioned and can leave GFX card as 865GBF features a lot better onboard GFX than ur older mobo along with an AGP slot. Be sure 2 use RAM in Dual channel mode

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
blade_runner said:
icecoolz said:

blade: I seriously think that the config suggested by raven will last for a year easily. Take a look at the 64 bit computing and look at the S/W & H/W thats available in the market now that supports it. Its literally negligible. Windows XP 64 bit edition is scheduled for release in first quarter of 2005. DDR2 support is also not there in most of the mobo's today. And PCI-E is just introduced and cards are coming out but once again none of the games are optimized to run on it. Taking all these things into consideration and also his budget constraints I suggested to go for the rig suggested by raven. 3 major hw changes in industry will take some time to adopt as history tells us...

OP
F

fire

Broken In
thanx to u guys for spending ur valuable time here. But my prob is still there. I didn't get the ATI replacement of Nvidia fx5700 nor i got the rates. so please do spend some more time here n help me out..

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
fire said:
thanx to u guys for spending ur valuable time here. But my prob is still there. I didn't get the ATI replacement of Nvidia fx5700 nor i got the rates. so please do spend some more time here n help me out..

Umm i think u missed my post ! :D

fire i'd suggest that you put in some more dough and get a AMD 64 rig, so that you'd be on the safer side later. I'd suggest that you go for the foll:
AMD 64 2800+ 6.9k
MSI K8MM-ISLR - 5.4k
Kingston DDR400 512Mb - 4.5k
ATi Radeon 9600pro - 8.5k or the 9600Np for 6.8k

Total comes to arnd 25k with the 9600pro and 23k with the 9600np.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
icecoolz said:
blade_runner said:
icecoolz said:

blade: I seriously think that the config suggested by raven will last for a year easily. Take a look at the 64 bit computing and look at the S/W & H/W thats available in the market now that supports it. Its literally negligible. Windows XP 64 bit edition is scheduled for release in first quarter of 2005. DDR2 support is also not there in most of the mobo's today. And PCI-E is just introduced and cards are coming out but once again none of the games are optimized to run on it. Taking all these things into consideration and also his budget constraints I suggested to go for the rig suggested by raven. 3 major hw changes in industry will take some time to adopt as history tells us...
Woo ! Chill dude i was referring to something else...or maybe i just misunderstood ;)

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
blade_runner said:
Woo ! Chill dude i was referring to something else...or maybe i just misunderstood ;)

Am chill...as always :wink: I respect ur opinions man...most of the time u know ur stuff...

baasha

Broken In
hey all,
i was in a very similar position a few months back...i have P4 1.5 Ghz williamette..mercury mobo(dont remember the chipset), 256 MB of SD RAM...

this is wat i did....sold my mobo for 1100/=
sold the RAM for 1500/=
for ur mobo and RAM u shud get abt rs 1500+

Bought a Krypton VIA chipset mobo( with DDR 400 support, AGP 8X, intel prescott support etc. etc. ) for 3200/= the price i'm sure wudve come down by now...
the only drawback probably is tht it has only 3 PCI slots...but then again i dont use more than two since it has LAN onboard...

replacing the RAM(512 DDR 400) cud set u back by abt 4000/=

and u shud be able to get a FX5700 for abt 7000/= or so (i'm not sure abt this price though)...also consider the ATi 9600...its a little cheaper and just as good.....

i seriously suggest tht u consider the option of goin in for the VIA chipset...this shud fit snugly in ur budget..
i currently run the same P4 1.5 intel with 512 MB DDR RAM and a FX 5200 and it works like a charm....

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
PCI-E will take some time to get settled, ppl will only accept PCI-E only after it starts showing its advantages. Right now AGP is here to stay for atleast 1-2 Yrs imo. Once PCI-E gets mainstream AGP mobos will be discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom