Page File size MATTERS ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunchaddha

Right off the assembly line
hi friendz,

i wonder since many of u guys hav Ram of 1 GB .. and then i m not been able to read any convincing article for Virtual Memory Size for this amount of RAM... i mean to say do you guys have any idea of about what shud b the Size of Virtual Memory in case we have 1 GB RAM ...

as i think with 1 GB RAM if we go by rules then 1.5 GB of Swap memory wud b only Wastefull !!!!!! ..... isn't it !!!

and WHAT is the reason for Swap file for each Partirtion .. wil it not DECREASE the Systen Performance AFTERALL we are splitting the swap file and the splitting is not recommended for optimal performance !!!!

hope u all will answer this querry !!!!

bit

Banned
If you have 1 GB Ram disable pagefile. I have 512 MB of ram and I have disabled pagefile. Even when I had 256MB and 384MB. I used to disable pagefile.

Some people claim that few games need pagefile(atleast a very small sized). but I have never faced any problem with pagefile disabled.

I hate paging :(

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
u have a ram bigger than my page file!!!!!!
pls disable the page file i don't think u will need it for at least running normal applications.

Kniwor

Learner
I have 1 Gb of RAM.... a better IDEA is to not disable pagefile but make windows not use it... this way windows will be faster....

but if u play games day n night, it is advisable not to do anyhting to pagefile, bacause 1Gb ram is not too much, if u play BF2 etc u will know that... so in that case if u disable pagfile the system will have to manage with the ram thereby decreasing performance at times, i agree that often 1Gb is not needed at all, but often is not always...

The average depth of ganges is 4ft, this does not mean u can pass the ganges walking... hope u get my point...

OP
V

varunchaddha

hi friendz

i used to play Cricket 2005 .. and sometimes NFSU2 ....

and sometimes i use to do some video editing using .. Adobe Premier, Studio9, Ulead etc ..

And i do LOTS n Lots of DivX Encoding ....

so what pagefile siz wud u recommend me .....

thadhanihemant

Journeyman
help me too
my sys config
p4 1.7ghz
768 RD Ram
intel d850 mv motherboad
Radeon 9200se 128 MB

how much pagefile should i set
i mostly play games such as gta san andreas, call of duty , medal of honor pacific assault , commandos3,age of empire , nfs underground 2
current size is initial-512mb and max-768 mb,and some tv viewing.with my pinnacle pctv stereo.
is this size is suffice to fulfil my requirement?

bit

Banned
All I would say is, If you have Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista and more than 256 MB of RAM disable pagefile and see whether you face any problems, if no problem arises, be happy with pagefile disabled.

OP
V

varunchaddha

friendz .. i tried DISABLING PageFile ..

but in task manager there is a Column Virtual Memory Size .. and i still hav Value in that Column .. WHY ???? i wonder ..

was WINDOWS managing a Swap file without my concern or authority ...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Kniwor said:
I have 1 Gb of RAM.... a better IDEA is to not disable pagefile but make windows not use it... this way windows will be faster....

but if u play games day n night, it is advisable not to do anyhting to pagefile, bacause 1Gb ram is not too much, if u play BF2 etc u will know that... so in that case if u disable pagfile the system will have to manage with the ram thereby decreasing performance at times, i agree that often 1Gb is not needed at all, but often is not always...

The average depth of ganges is 4ft, this does not mean u can pass the ganges walking... hope u get my point...

Please tell us how to!

V.Prem Kumar

Kniwor

Learner
janitha said:
Kniwor said:

Please tell us how to!

V.Prem Kumar

There's actually nothing to it...
when slipstream windows in nLite it gives u an option of doing so.... enable it...

but this is not suggested for ram less than 512Mb... and I'd not suggest it for less than 1Gb
as i've already said... disabling the pagefile only decreases performance...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
[/quote]

There's actually nothing to it...
when slipstream windows in nLite it gives u an option of doing so.... enable it...

but this is not suggested for ram less than 512Mb... and I'd not suggest it for less than 1Gb
as i've already said... disabling the pagefile only decreases performance...[/quote]

Will you pl be more specific. I don't know what is slipstream and nLite.
And I do have 1 GB and do not game.

V.Prem Kumar

netcracker

Journeyman
It will always be good to have a page file......around 500-800mb in a different partition other then windows.

Anycase how much memory are u losing its not that much!!

Some apps are designed to use the page file even though the system may have >2 gigs of RAM. This is very true for MS Flight Simulator and has been a known fact (officially recognised by MS). There are many more apps, I'm sure.

Maybe future versions of Windows (and apps that run on it) will not need page files.

Microsoft recommends that you do not disable the page file - *www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

BTW, I have 1GB RAM and 1500MB fixed page file on a fast second hard drive.

-Keith

bit

Banned
varunchaddha said:
friendz .. i tried DISABLING PageFile ..

but in task manager there is a Column Virtual Memory Size .. and i still hav Value in that Column .. WHY ???? i wonder ..

was WINDOWS managing a Swap file without my concern or authority ...
Same thing happen with me too, but don't worry it is not using hard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom