p2p apps. v/s my router!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domin8r

Journeyman
I've an ADSL connection and am using a D-LINK DSL-502T router provided by my ISP. I'm also using p2p apps. such as eDonkey and eMule. By default, the ports that these apps. use are not open in the router. I manually opened these ports in my router, but these apps. still show that they're unable to connect and the mentioned ports are still not open. I've also checked in the router control panel that the router's firewall is inactive. I'm using WinXP Pro (without SP1 or SP2), but I've not enabled the Internet Connection Firewall either. A quick check over at *www.grc.com tells me that the ports I've opened are "Stealth". I don't use any software firewall either, because my ISP informed me that the router itself would be enough. Also, to achieve maximum out of my PC & WinXP, I've disabled some of the services that are by default "On" in a default WinXP environment. The services I've running are: COM+ Event System, Computer Browser, Cryptographic Services, DHCP & DNS Client, Event Log, Network Connections, Plug and Play, RPC, SAM, Server, System Events Notification, Terminal Services, Windows Audio, WMI and Workstation. Do you think my problem exists because I've disabled some of the Windows default services?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

mediator

Technomancer
Well the probablity is high as u have disabled some very important services
Plug n play is important if u wanna use pen drive for automatic detection or printer! RPC is very important service for remote procedure calls

So u can should enable all except
SAM, Server, System Events Notification, Windows Audio
But please check out for SAM coz i am unsure fot this one!

OP
D

domin8r

Journeyman
I'm basically concerned with the fact that some of my ports are blocked. My PC works fine with the list of services that I've listed. As for enabling all, my system can't take the excessive overhead for that. As for the services you've listed:

SAM: WinXP Security Accounts Manager; the service that handles all the user accounts, can't be messed with, ie, can't be stopped.

Server: Can be stopped, but I keep it on, coz I also have Apache on my system.

System Events Notification: Informs & tracks system events.

Windows Audio: Self explanatory.

So, I'm really looking if someone can tell me why my ports are blocked. I'm pretty sure its not because I've disabled some services, I've added that as the extra information.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Your issue is not a problem with windows services but rather with your router. How exactly are you trying to open the ports in the router ? There is a thread here which runs for around 4 pages which had the exact same discussion w.r.t port opening on the routers. Just search for ports and you should find that thread. Which is your service provider by the way ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom