P-III RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunks

Hey here is the aks
i have a p3 866MHz pc with 2x128=256MB RAM
Plz suggest me will there be any difference in speed if make my ram to 512 MB..\
also telll me will the motherboard support that much ram..

i think motherboard is 810 via chipset.
Does anybody wanna sell one 512 SDRAm or two 256 MB SDram pieces..??

So suggest me guys should i upgrade to 512MB

But as windows vista wants minimum 800MHz processor with512MB ram..

SO i lack only in Ram..
also tell me if vista can be supported with greater ram on same 866MHz p3 pc then speed should be increaded for other applications.
wwhat do u say guys

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Personally I think its a sheer waste to upgrade, P3 + 256 is good enough for its speed really, there isnt much you can do with additional RAM since the Proccy is slow too (how much Mhz?) Better save more and go for an overhaul :)

saROMan

QA Juggler
well frankly if u wanna upgrade for Vista then it will be a waste.....800 Mhz is the Bare Min u need...herz a recap of requrements

System breakdown

Graphics: Vista has changed from using the CPU to display bitmaps on the screen to using the GPU to render vectors. This means the entire display model in Vista has changed. To render the screen in the GPU requires an awful lot of memory to do optimally - 256MB is a happy medium, but you'll actually see benefit from more. Microsoft believes that you're going to see the amount of video memory being shipped on cards hurtle up when Vista ships.

CPU: Threading is the main target for Vista. Currently, very little of Windows XP is threaded - the target is to make Vista perform far better on dual-core and multi-core processors.

RAM: 2GB is the ideal configuration for 64-bit Vista, we're told. Vista 32-bit will work ideally at 1GB, and minimum 512. However, since 64-bit is handling data chunks that are double the size, you'll need double the memory, hence the 2GB. Nigel mentions DDR3 - which is a little odd, since the roadmap for DDR3, on Intel gear at least, doesn't really kick in until 2007.

HDD: SATA is definitely the way forward for Vista, due, Microsoft tells us, to Native Command Queueing. NCQ allows for out of order completions - that is, if Vista needs tasks 1,2,3,4 and 5 done, it can do them in the order 2,5,3,4,1 if that's a more efficient route for the hard drive head to take over the disk. This leads to far faster completion times. NCQ is supported on SATA2 drives, so expect them to start becoming the standard sooner rather than later. Microsoft thinks that these features will provide SCSI-level performance.

Bus: AGP is 'not optimal' for Vista. Because of the fact that graphics cards may have to utilise main system memory for some rendering tasks, a fast, bi-direction bus is needed - that's PCI express.

Display: Prepare to feel the red mist of rage - no current TFT monitor out there is going to support high definition playback in Vista. You may already have heard rumblings about this, but here it is. To play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content you need a HDCP compatible monitor. Why? Because these formats use HDCP to encrypt a video signal as it travels along a digital connection to an output device, to prevent people copying it. If you have just standard DVI or even an analogue output, you're going to see HD scaled down to a far-less-than-HD resolution for viewing - which sucks.

or read this artical

*www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1843945,00.asp

but if u just wann upgrade the Ram then yes More Ram do Effect the Overall Performence ...so till u can collect the Money for ur New Spanky Machine...Get more RAM

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Go for an overhaul. I have a 1.8 Ghz machine and I myself am planning to up my machine b4 vista arrives so that I'll be ready by then :p

paul_007

Padawan
pls dont add extra RAM , there wont be much difference,

my friend is also having same configuration as urs , he upgraded to 512 mb ram there was no difference in performance , the only thing improved was that games started loading more quickly.

and also VISTA is not at all recommended for ur PC bcos having high RAM alone wont help u , u need to have good processor(at least 1.2 GHz) and a decent entry level GFX card.

OP
arunks

arunks

Hey here is the aks
but on microsoft site it is written minimum processor needed =

p -III or above (atleast 800Mhz)

vandit

In the zone
they r telling the right thing man.....for a good vista performance.....the things u r telling to upgraade will not be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom