1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Ownership of Folders on an NTFS Partition.

Discussion in 'QnA (read only)' started by adeegee, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adeegee

adeegee New Member

I have two drives on my computer, a 120 gb and a 80gb, and running Windows XP SP2. Both have four partitions. The system partition C: has the FAT32 system and I have converted all the rest to NTFS. I have also moved the My Documents Folder to the E: partition, to protect it in case of a system crash. The owner of this folder is shown as AMITAVA\Amit, the computer name being Amitava and my username being Amit. My question is if in the event of a crash that requires reinstallation of Windows, will I still be able to access that folder, and would there be any special procedure involved.

2. godsownman

godsownman New Member

3. OP
    OP
    adeegee

adeegee New Member

Sounds similar, although I haven't encrypted the drive. Let's see what the gurus here have to say about it.

4. godsownman

godsownman New Member

oh ok you have not encrypted them, then your not going to face any problem. I just formatted my system and so I have experience.

But if you have encrypted it then you are going to face a big problem like I am facing.

Cya

5. sakumar79

sakumar79 Active Member

Initially, you will not be able to access it even if you create same account name. But, you can log in as administrator and set ownership to the new account. If the account does not have administrator rights, this will require it to be temporarily be set with admin rights to make the change...

Arun

6. OP
    OP
    adeegee

adeegee New Member

Thanks for the response. Since my question was hypothetical, I shall have to wait for a crash to occur, before I need the information. Not that I am hoping for a crash. . . :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.