Ownership of Folders on an NTFS Partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeegee

Broken In
I have two drives on my computer, a 120 gb and a 80gb, and running Windows XP SP2. Both have four partitions. The system partition C: has the FAT32 system and I have converted all the rest to NTFS. I have also moved the My Documents Folder to the E: partition, to protect it in case of a system crash. The owner of this folder is shown as AMITAVA\Amit, the computer name being Amitava and my username being Amit. My question is if in the event of a crash that requires reinstallation of Windows, will I still be able to access that folder, and would there be any special procedure involved.

godsownman

Padawan
A similar thing what you wish to avoid has happened to me and I am not in a position to access the contents. :((

Lets see I have posted it here it is,

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39836

OP
A

adeegee

Broken In
Sounds similar, although I haven't encrypted the drive. Let's see what the gurus here have to say about it.

godsownman

Padawan
oh ok you have not encrypted them, then your not going to face any problem. I just formatted my system and so I have experience.

But if you have encrypted it then you are going to face a big problem like I am facing.

Cya

sakumar79

Technomancer
Initially, you will not be able to access it even if you create same account name. But, you can log in as administrator and set ownership to the new account. If the account does not have administrator rights, this will require it to be temporarily be set with admin rights to make the change...

Arun

OP
A

adeegee

Broken In
Thanks for the response. Since my question was hypothetical, I shall have to wait for a crash to occur, before I need the information. Not that I am hoping for a crash. . . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom