overheating or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastc0der

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I have a p4 2.4ghz, d845gvsr mobo. My pc is 4 years old and had no problems until recently it started shutting down and after the shutdown, when started a message flashed that the shutdown operation was due to cpu overheating. This continued whenver my cpu was used to 80~100% for more than 5 minutes.

After going through solutions on the net and also the thread on overheating in this forum, I opened the heatsink, cleaned and applied thermal paste. This helped for a short time only, and after some days my pc started shutting down(more appropriately-turned off abruptly). But this time there was no message on startup.
So I decided to check the temperature manually, and ran a small c program in an infinite loop and within 5 minutes my system turned off. I immediately opened the cabinet and touched the heatsink, but it was cold. Suspecting that there must have been a gap between the cpu and heatsink, which could have trapped heat, I removed the heatsink and was surprised to see the cpu was dead cold!

Now I dont suspect that it is cpu overheating because no message displayed after abrupt shutdown and cpu is dead cold.
Only thing which I think could be the root of the problem is the psu. It had been making abnormally loud noises, my friend said this was normal. I think this could be the problem because whenever cpu is maxed I hear the cpu fan revving up and I think this demands more power from the psu.

Is my hunch right? or could this be an overheating problem? should I replace my psu?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
why don't you get ur fren'z PSU and try it on ur system? it looks most prolly a psu problem. check for any lose power connector connections.

a_tif

Journeyman
my friend had a similar problem
his pc shutdown automatically when windows was loading

his heat sink was not fitted properly
after his heat sink was fitted properly the problem was solved

better check if u fitted ur heat sink properly

if u think ur PSU is faulty then remove it
as it can cause damage to ur cpu, motherboard and so on

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
he's already checked the heatsink/proc contact and dismissed the overheating problem. so i guess that can be ruled out.

the next immediate suspect is the PSU.

OP
F

fastc0der

Right off the assembly line
Well I'm going ahead with replacing the psu as I'm spooked by the amount of noise it is making. Can anyone guide me about the brand and location for within 1k, I'm from bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom