overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satissh S

Youngling
Help me to :wink: safely overclock my cpu. My specs are P4ht (3ghz, 800mhz Fsb,1mb l2 cache), 1gb ram(512 x 2), intel 865 mobo, GeForce FX 5200 128Mb

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
hey Satissh S I too hv almost the similar kind of system dude,

Hey u guys help me also to safely overclock my PC.

BTW wat does overclocking do to a PC !! any advantages (in any sectors like games or programs??) :?

My system is P-4,2 Ghz on an INTEL D865 GBF mobo with 256 MB DDR RAM, nVIDIA Ge force FX 5200, 256 MB DDR RAM GRAPHICS CARD with 40 GB Hard disk.

Do i hv to mention any other INFO abt my system do let me know GUYS!! :?

thanx, cheers n peace.... :p:)

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
ur mobo

Depends on ur mobo man.Some mobos support overclocking some dont,I myself have not done it,The processor runs on a frequency (2 giga HERTZ)
like that so obviously OC is increasing the frequency.Further some guys do increase their FSB too.U can overclock ur gfx card too the core can be overclocked but it will void the warranty.Overclocking has to be done carefully otherwise u may end up with a dead processor.OC increases the heat generated by the processor.So if ur gonna overclock do invest on a good cooling solution(As ur increasing the core frequency the job will get done faster but this will be visible only in audio video encoding compression etc.as far as i know 2 ghz is more than enough for most games).pls do correct me if i am wrong

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey vasanth_12345 well thanx for the little info on OC (over clocking) DUDE, well i then think i shud not OC my PC coz i am a novice so i better stay off from FLIRTING :wink: :roll: with my PC as it is my PC is running at its best performance.

well neways But thanx for the little info DUDE. :)

cheers n peace.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
huh ? OCing does not reduce the life of anything IF DONE PROPERLY. See my sig I have OCed my CPU and its been like that for the past 6 months. Nothing too complicated about it.Read this:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442

Is quite exhaustive and many a user has shared their experiences with OCing. So go for it and do it safely ;)

funkymonkey

Journeyman
the reduction in life is insignificant and way past the lif cycle of hardware. If you do not plan to use your hardware for more than 5 years then it dosent matter.
I personally have Athlon64 3200+ which runs at default frequency of 2Ghz overclocked to 2.6Ghz on A8N SLI Deluxe.
Running nice and cool at max 44C full load with XP-90HSF.
I have other machine with P4 2.6C @ 3.25ghz running at oced speeds for more than a year. No issues what so ever.

krishnathelord

In the zone
dudes i have a PIV 2.4 prescot which without over clocking goes up to 70
and when i over clocked it to 2.8 it was runing at 65 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(With full load)

OP
Satissh S

Satissh S

Youngling
funkymonkey said:
the reduction in life is insignificant and way past the lif cycle of hardware. If you do not plan to use your hardware for more than 5 years then it dosent matter.
I personally have Athlon64 3200+ which runs at default frequency of 2Ghz overclocked to 2.6Ghz on A8N SLI Deluxe.
Running nice and cool at max 44C full load with XP-90HSF.
I have other machine with P4 2.6C @ 3.25ghz running at oced speeds for more than a year. No issues what so ever.

GREAT!!

Then why do the manufacturers specify seperately as 2.8 , 3.0 etc., making us april fools!!! :roll: :cry:

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Manufacturers need to make money and hence the different prices. And also Ocing is not something every other person is willing to do cos if done wrong you could end up frying your components. And to most novice users which constitute a quite a margin OCing is something which scares them. And hence they just go for a "faster" chip. No ones making a fool out of anyone. The percentage OCers out there is far lesser compared to the normal users.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
exactly.
Do you know it is possible that p4 3.0Ghz CPU you buy may be from the same silicon wafer that produced 3.4Ghz CPU. The silicon if of same grade. They make 3Ghz more as demand for 3.0Ghz is more and its affordable. This dosent mean that processor cant run at higher clock speeds.
Everyone knows that AMD renamed 3800+ which were originally FX-53 and were priced way too high. Its marketing game dude.
if you want every to fully utilise money you spend then you can have faster processor for free. Provided you follow proper route and take proper precausions.
And yes, exactly they are making you an April fool...

krishnathelord

In the zone
i firmly belive that AMD and intel just make a fool out of us,

if this was not the case then how could there be just Rs. 400 diff in 2 ghz and 2.26 ghz intel pros. :roll:

rbk

Broken In
Overclocking is safe..... if done properly using the right cooling equipment .

However-

Increasing the Vcore voltage while overclocking will result in a phenomenon known as electron migration and might cause the chip to fail after a certain period of time (AthlonXP's tend to fry up real quick)

When OCing through the FSB running IDE/PCI devices at higher than rated speeds could result in data loss and audio distortions.

OCing will not give you a significant boost . It might boost your encoding and rendering performance but for games you won't see any difference because your FX5200 will bottleneck the system.

devilhead_satish

In the zone
No you cant overclock on an original Intel mobo. You might have had a chance if you'd have chosen some other mobo. Buying an Intel mobo seals your chance of overclocking :(
P.S. I'm in the same condition

amey_dude

Journeyman
Hey I also hv P4 1.7GHz And an original intel mobo. :(

Can the softwares like CPU-FSB sort of help in overclocking original mobos?? :?

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
amey_dude said:
Hey I also hv P4 1.7GHz And an original intel mobo. :(

Can the softwares like CPU-FSB sort of help in overclocking original mobos?? :?
Chances are quite thin, the intel mobo's PLL ic shud be supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom