overclocking the cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeeprao

Broken In
i have a P4 1.7 ghz with 128mb ram and 64 mb geforce 4 mx 420 card.when i used a software called AIDA32 it showed that the maximum clock frequency was 2.4 Ghz but was clocked only at 1.7.in my bios i had two options one was increasing the multiplyers or some thing the other was the clock frequnecy which is set at 100mhz . now can i overclock my cpu????and how do i do it.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Firstly remember any overclocking is risky and can dammage your hardware.
Ok now if you are willing to go ahead download a clock generator / modifier software from the net and use it to increase the clock speed of the cpu and the fsb in small steps and check for stability. Over clocking 1.7 to 2.4 is a big step i would suggest do it to 1.9 first check then 2.0 check and also keep a tab on cpu temp at all times.
Sorry i do not know about AIDA32 but such software based on your type of mobo can be downloaded from *www.cpuid.org/clockgen.php

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
dude yours is such an old proccy that too intel you may not be able to do much whatsoever

it will also degrade your life though the amount is small and can be neglected as you won't be using your cpu more than 3-5yrs since the time you bought.So,IT SHOULD GO OK,I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT WILL GO OK.

Also,you may be able to do about 5-10% to your cpu which most likely than not ,won't affect your peformance that you can observre not that there won't be increase but practically very small in anything except synthetic benchmarks.

Also,try using reliable software.

Be cautious that this voids warranty and your motherboard can get damaged also which may intrun ruin your peripherals,ram,graphic card etc.

Though you can check with others,asking them and confirming whther the graphic card , ram etc is in danger too as well.

Also,pls check with others whether warranty for all components is voided or not.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
dude yours is such an old proccy that too intel you may not be able to do much whatsoever

it will also degrade your life though the amount is small and can be neglected as you won't be using your cpu more than 3-5yrs since the time you bought.So,IT SHOULD GO OK,I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT WILL GO OK.

Also,you may be able to do about 5-10% to your cpu which most likely than not ,won't affect your peformance that you can observre not that there won't be increase but practically very small in anything except synthetic benchmarks.

Also,try using reliable software.

Be cautious that this voids warranty and your motherboard can get damaged also which may intrun ruin your peripherals,ram,graphic card etc.

Though you can check with others,asking them and confirming whther the graphic card , ram etc is in danger too as well.

Also,pls check with others whether warranty for all components is voided or not.

WITH SUCH AN OLD PROCCY ,DON"T DO EVEN 1.9 at first ,infact with any component do with small increments , say of few megahertz.

What is your mobo,ram brand etc which you can tell us.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
sandeeprao said:
i have a P4 1.7 ghz with 128mb ram and 64 mb geforce 4 mx 420 card.when i used a software called AIDA32 it showed that the maximum clock frequency was 2.4 Ghz but was clocked only at 1.7.in my bios i had two options one was increasing the multiplyers or some thing the other was the clock frequnecy which is set at 100mhz . now can i overclock my cpu????and how do i do it.

There are various parameters to be taken into acccount before even knowing if your cpu is overclockable. CPU multiplier, FSB and core voltage are the main aspects one needs to look at if one wants to OC. Now how much can one extened these aspects depends on the H/W itself. As in if I want to increase my FSB will my motherboard allow it ? Is my CPU multiplier locked ? Can I increase my core voltage ? All these one needs to look at in the bios. Also it is not possible to say if a CPU is OCable just by looking at it. You need to do a lil research to see if it can be OCed or not. AIDA32 showsthat your CPU can reach 2.4 ghz does not imply that your CPU can do 2.4 ghz. It only imples that your motherboard can support speeds upto 2.4 ghz. Also remem you need plenty of ventilation if you are going to OC. A good cooling solution is a must.

OP
S

sandeeprao

Broken In
i guess u guys are right,OC is dangerous,well my comp is abt 3 yrs old and i plan to buy a new comp so i just thought i could try and OC my proccy,my mobo is a lucky star p4A845S,i have a 128 mb hynix ram and as far as warranty goes everythings over, i have a warranty only for my ram now. so thats the pic.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I guessed as much. Then you can very well try and OC your system since all your warranties are void anyways. There is an excellent tutorial in the tutorials section on overclocking a AMD Cpu. The principles remain the same for Intel CPU's also. I would suggest you go thru that and give it your go :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
club_pranay said:
what about my kobian 865gv?? details

Even i have an asus 865 (p4p800-vm) and i downloaded the clock gen for my mobo from the same place and am able to OC my P4 2.4 HT. So i think it will work for you too.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
check for stability by running say a benchmark tool and see if the system is stable for say an hour or so. If it passes these tests then you can safly say that the system can work on the new settings. But as i said earlier the cpu temp is the main indicator for stability.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
you can use several tools. I'll list out a few:

3DMark 03 and 3DMark 05 - to test for gaming and other benchmarks. This will also test your system stability.

Sisoft Sandra - Gives you a system overview and performs certain benchmarks on your system.

Motherboard Monitor - to check the temp of your CPU and your mobo.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom