Overclocking Athlon64 CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

[flAsh]

In the zone
Overclocking breaks things which you alone are resposible for, not AMD, not intel, not Nivida, not Ati, not xyz mobo maker. Proceed at your own risk.

this is a quick and dirty guide. I am aiming for simplicity since it's not all that complicated to OC A64's even for first timers. I am also aiming for safty so you don't kill anything so lower volts are advocated. Just good clean fun to get an FX or better from your budget chip.

VERY IMPORTANT to keep in mind at all times is hypertransport needs to be around 1000, meaning LDT x HTT (aka FSB) ~1000 or less.

Now we will Isolate then Consolidate.

What that means is you need to test three parts of the CPU subsystem (chipset, chip, and memory) to find max speeds of each.. Then combine them for some sort of optimal overclock.

ISOLATE
Don't forget to take notes.

1. Max HTT/FSB should be first ..*only works if motherboard has locks. Most A64 boards do today. Sata 1 and 2 are not locked on some nforce mobos use 3 and 4.
-set CPU multi to 6 or 7, this will take CPU out of equation
-set memory to SPD and 100, this will take memory out of equation
-Increase HTT/FSB up until you fail to boot or there abouts, back down 5%, (HTT * 0.95), this is your max safe HTT.

2. Max Chip capable
- Set multiplier to it's maxium
-Set vcore to 1.6 -1.65 for 130nm chips, 1.50-1.55 for 90nm chips
-Set mem to SPD and 100, this will take memory out of equation
-starting with HTT 200 raise in about 5Mhz increments up to boards max found earlier or until you start failing PRIME95 which will probably happen first..only give it 5 minutes max, that's good enough for now.
-At the point it starts failing within that 5 min time period, back down 5%, (CPU MHZ * 0.95), thats your max CPU speed, now test prime again at 95% for 12 hour for stable.
Prime 95 Link *www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

3. Memory MAX

It depends what you want and type of mem you chose, LL or Bandwidth but must keep 1T (command rate) because A64 suffers big time with 2T.

-For high bandwidth set mem setting to 200 and 2.5-4-3-7 1 T and give it boards max volts, or for LL set mem setting to 200 and 2-2-2-7 1 T and give it boards max volts. (up to 2.9Vdimm is safe with all ram)
-Set CPUs multi to 6-7, again to take it out of equation.
-Raise HTT up to boards max or until you start failing memtest86 test 5 and 6 *www.memtest86.com/
-When you start failing memtest86 test 5 and 6, back down 5%, (HTT * 0.95), thats your max MEM speed.

CONSOLIDATE

The most important thing to keep in mind is CPU Speed is king. So now that you know your CPU speed from above, use it. Say it's Winchester 3000 and it's 2650Mhz prime stable and with it's 9 multiplier it needs 295 HTT to get there (9x295=2650)...NP right, but you got some value ram which only clocked to 210Mhz from your above testing. Well obviously you can't run the ram at 1:1 which would be 295Mhz, you must use a mem divider. You can use the memory divider (mem setting) to get as close as possible to your mem max found above.

This is the rough way to calculate IE close enough..

Memsetting setting
200 = HTT Mhz
183 = HTT x .90 = Mhz
166 = HTT x .83 = Mhz
150 = HTT x .75 = Mhz
133 = HTT x .66 = Mhz
100 = HTT x .50 = Mhz

What can my 210Mhz memory run in this config?
295 x .83 = 244 = not a chance
295 x .75 = 221 = not quite
295 x .66 = 195 Yes, but slow.

You have two choices, try and tighen timings and run 195 which is perfectly OK choice. Or Change CPU multiplier and start over. Ideally you want for max CPU and memory to coinside...Does'nt always work the way you want... My Ballistix below is 245Mhz stable but I'm running less for more CPU speed which always wins. You should too.

To help you along in the "consolidate" phase user Gogar has made a niffty script found here.
Just put in those maximuns found under the "isolate" phase and it will spit out the best choices.

After you go though these steps , take notes, you'll become more familiar with the whole tweaking process (learn by doing) and will be able to dial in better frequencies, timings, voltages, and faster too. But this should get you pretty close to safe and optimal speeds

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
@quad master : why don't u asked the forum administrators to make it sticky???

Well i ask the administrator to make this guide sticky

digen

Youngling
[flAsh said:
]@quad master : why don't u asked the forum administrators to make it sticky???

Well i ask the administrator to make this guide sticky

Yes why not make it sticky with Anandtech written all over it? WTF EDIT: dont you have the courtesy of even mentioning the source? & you ask the mods to make it sticky? bah

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Sticky???? Is it really nice to rip Zebo's post on AnandTech word for word without even bothering to check the links, and then ask the mods to make this a sticky? Its called plagiarism, and you should at least quote the source in your post, instead of letting others think that you actually worked on the post yourself!

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
Cmon man there are lot of forum topics common in anandtech and Digit forum. What do u think ???
Don't u know most of the posts here are either from anandtech or xbit forum.

And yes I did post it here from anandtech. I never said I am its author and I 4got 2 mention the source. I asked it 2 b sticky only 4 ppl who use only and only Digit forum.

U ppl may b genius but not is every body

digen

Youngling
eh? WTF I think you still havent understood the meaning of plagiarism

Let me do the work for you

plagiarism:The false presentation of someone else's writing as one's own. In the case of copyrighted work, plagiarism is illegal.

What you have done is called stealing in laymens terms.People who write,lotsa effort goes into it & dedication.How will you feel when someone posts your writings claims as the author & wins a lottery ??
Forget about winning anything,there are ethics involved dude which you've to follow atleast in the digit forums.

I'm still an average guy to whom given a book of Organic chemistry will still slog big time.We just follow the rules & post what we know of.
I now seriously feel requesting the mods to make this a sticky,Title:How plagiarism is dealt in the digit forums !!
Lol kidding anyways !

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
digen said:
eh? WTF I think you still havent understood the meaning of plagiarism

Let me do the work for you

plagiarism:The false presentation of someone else's writing as one's own. In the case of copyrighted work, plagiarism is illegal.

What you have done is called stealing in laymens terms.People who write,lotsa effort goes into it & dedication.How will you feel when someone posts your writings claims as the author & wins a lottery ??
Forget about winning anything,there are ethics involved dude which you've to follow atleast in the digit forums.

I'm still an average guy to whom given a book of Organic chemistry will still slog big time.We just follow the rules & post what we know of.
I now seriously feel requesting the mods to make this a sticky,Title:How plagiarism is dealt in the digit forums !!
Lol kidding anyways !

U know sumthing: U ppl just get a rating frm Digit and think u r a lord of technology and then call urself a " AVERAGE GUY". (Now that's impossible)

Ok I never said u r a johny Bravo or a oversmart secret agent XXX.
I just said that knowledge is to b shared.
I just said that if this thread is made sticky it wud help a lot of ppl who r buying new comps.(as generally they all Athlon64 inside) and nothing else. I don't call it stealing. An example of this " Arabs and Romans took the knowledge of numbers frm india and they introduced it to rest of the world calling the no. system as Arabic and Roman respectively; but India yet got its credit"
I again emphasize the fact I mentioned earlier as well that I never took the credit of this guide.
I have lot of friends in AnandTech forums, Xbitlabs forums, Sharkyforums, Scienceforums & mvktech forums. They all agree to my fact BUT STILL IF U WANT THEN

*k.1asphost.com/techlabs/smiley20.gif" THE CREDIT OF THIS ARTICLE GOES TO "ZEBO" WHO IS A ACTIVE & ELITE MEMBER OF ANANDTECH FORUMS"*k.1asphost.com/techlabs/smiley20.gif

I think that shud b enough 2 shut up ur mouth

I am really hurt *k.1asphost.com/techlabs/smiley18.gif
and shocked *k.1asphost.com/techlabs/smiley3.gif at such a nice response of u ppl who r so called "MAHAGURUs" of Digit Forum

digen

Youngling
Ahha my day has just begun.Lets take it one by one shall we?

U know sumthing: U ppl just get a rating frm Digit and think u r a lord of technology and then call urself a " AVERAGE GUY". (Now that's impossible)
What makes you say that? Should I take this as a personal attack?

Ok I never said u r a johny Bravo or a oversmart secret agent XXX.
Yes you are right, I'm just a everyday Joe who hates plagiarism.

I just said that knowledge is to b shared.
I just said that if this thread is made sticky it wud help a lot of ppl who r buying new comps.(as generally they all Athlon64 inside) and nothing else. I don't call it stealing. An example of this " Arabs and Romans took the knowledge of numbers frm india and they introduced it to rest of the world calling the no. system as Arabic and Roman respectively; but India yet got its credit"

Did it ever appear in my posts that i'm against sharing knowledge? I think you lost me there.

I think that shud b enough 2 shut up ur mouth
Yes now that you've the courtesy of mentioning the proper source I'll let this go.But do it again & I'll be there for you,to take plagiarism away from you !!

I again emphasize the fact I mentioned earlier as well that I never took the credit of this guide.
I have lot of friends in AnandTech forums, Xbitlabs forums, Sharkyforums, Scienceforums & mvktech forums. They all agree to my fact
Not mentioning the source indeed means your claming the article to be your own.Same thing again.

I am really hurt
and shocked at such a nice response of u ppl who r so called "MAHAGURUs" of Digit Forum

Hurt? Why posting a source makes you feel no good?

Before I leave let me quote raaabo's post,

Nah, even tutorials that people find online and want to quote. As long as members remember to give the correct source it's cool.

Source

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
iam locking this post
the Author can PM me to open the thread
on an assurance that he would PROPERLY
credit the orignal author in the TUTORIAL post
and not any other post
there should be a appropriate link
under the post
i would open up the thread on the authorisation
would see if its credited