overclocked gfx card

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
i have a xfx nvidia geforce4 mx 4000 agp card which had factory clock freq as =>
275 Mhz [core clock frequency]
memory clock freq = 286 Mhz

a couple of days back i tried overclocking it and clocked it to 300 and 357 mhz respectively, w/o any visible problems.
i can now even play nfsu2 on my p3 1.0 ghz comp with full details at 800x600 quite well
however one thing is troubling me...how much can i overclock, and since, overclocking means heating up of the card, will it b advisable to install a fan or sth to cool the card
also when the comp shows up win xp desktop after booting, the screen goes black for just a split second..does it mean tht i have overclocked the card to more than what was safe...
please help, i'm overclocking for first time.

OP
abhishek_sharma

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
arey what stupid kind of advice is this...the world overclocks their cards/mobos/cpus...so whats the harm, if i do it properly.
and i have already used it for around 1 yr...so i dont care much abt warranty, dont even knw whether it carries any warranty or not...

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Well, all u need to do is to do to successfully overclock is to give enough power supply and cooling......
Thats what's done for overclcking processors.....i m not sure about graphics cards......but it is better to install a fan if it does not have any onboard cooling mechanism( i dont think 4000 has 1)

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well the Geforce MX4000 had Passive cooling if i remember correctly.
In that case i would recommend fitting a fan on the heatsink to keep things safe.Also i dont think the memory has any kind of cooling.
Such a massive overclock is ok for a short period for benchmarking but not for sustained use.
Get small heatsinks n fit it on the ram chips or back down the memory overclock.

Anyways,nice OC there. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom