Over 670MHz with GTX280 is dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Some partners pushing it

We've asked around how far can you push and issue a warranty on Geforce GTX 280 as most of the partners stops at 670MHz and one dares to go for magical 700MHz.

Geforce GTX 280 is very hot card even at its default clock and we've learned that 670MHz is something that Nvidia recommends and anything higher than that is pushing.

Zotac on the other hand did clocked its card to 700MHz while XFX and EVGA two daring overclockers have decided to stick around with 670MHz on air.

EVGA plans to ship the cards at 670MHz and it is up to you to overclock it further but we are not sure that you will gain that much performance with that overclock and at the same time you are risking to kill your super expensive graphic card.

The choice is always yours.

Source-*www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8004&Itemid=1

thats why its better to stay with ATi Cards. They are cheaper, cooler, faster and consume less power. Plus, CrossFire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SLi because it can do things like using two different cards in crossfire, crossfiring with the onboard GPU, etc.

Who

Guess Who's Back
thats why its better to stay with ATi Cards. They are cheaper, cooler, faster and consume less power.

Your love for AMD(Ati) has blind you , first of all Ati cards are very costly in india , second they run very hot compare to most nvidia cards , read HD4850 review it almost runs as hot as GTX 280, also less power consumtion did you know HD2900 XT used more power then 8800 GTX also yeah they done some improvement in HD3xx series in power conumtion but still they can't beat them.

Also look at GTX 280 , just look at the specs , they are so huge , it needs more power to deliever , some reviewers say GTX 280 is actually limited by the CPU, it will take many drivers to get its power in good use IMO. anyway people should wait for custom cooler builds of GTX 280 , refrence cooler don't do well this days.

OP
N

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^4850 has not been reviewed and compared with nvid yet afaik.and i don't understand why u people call them costly when the prices are right.check nvidia's new card's prices.and are u aware of the fact that these nvidia cards have a hell of manufacturing costs? its time for AMD to rise and shine.

Who

Guess Who's Back
4850 has been reviewed , here is the links

*www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3059798#post3059798

Also at GURU3D forums many people who bought HD4850 in advance are saying the card it tooooo HOT.

here is a post for example :- *forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2738565&postcount=9

77 c at idle temp in UK i don't what could more hot then this. also they are slower then 8800 GTS & volt modded 8800 GT by a small margin so need to go for HD4850

also the prices of ATi card have always been killer in india. (e.g HD3870 costs 2-3 k more then 8800 GT !! )

^4850 has not been reviewed and compared with nvid yet afaik.and i don't understand why u people call them costly when the prices are right.check nvidia's new card's prices.and are u aware of the fact that these nvidia cards have a hell of manufacturing costs? its time for AMD to rise and shine.
Well, 4870 single beats 9800GX2
And 4850 is a more mainstream chip, a weaker version of 4870.

I know nVidia has hell of a manufacturing cost now because they are still 65nm and AMD is already 55nm. But they still have advantage in India due to expensive ATI cards in mid range and budget range, and since India has world's 3rd largest computer users, nVidia still has *some* profits to make.

x3060

A LOTR fan
someday we will be able to cook meals with them too,
new feature :
able to cook foods, now ur comp is all u need for living...;)

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^I do that with my card..

ATi cards run cool. My friends HD3870X2 doesnt cross the 60C mark. And they're superior. nvidia is doomed.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
I once happened to OC my old fx 5200 to 400 from 250. PC hanged, then removed the card and was careless enough to touch the heatsink, man i could smell fried meat off my index finger.

:D Lolz.

Last edited:
OP
N

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
my XFX 8800GT XXX alpha dog - got the card , used it for less than a day and sold it.only due to 80degrees of idle temp.the 8600GTS i got has the same issue.XFX 9600GT had the same problem when OC'ed.so i got myself a Asus 9600GT which runs perfect but has a different cooler.my MSI 8800GT SLi setup got 2 different MSI models.both never cross 60 degrees even under load.
so even if these visiiontek and gigabyte 4850 have the same issues,it would be better sorted out with an aftermarket cooler.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Twice the price of the 4870..
All the mid range nvidia cards will have to become entry level graphics cards to survive in the market..
8800 for 6-8k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom