Outlook Express behaving weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
i recently switch from VSNL dial up to a broadband connection. my mom still uses the vsnl email id and intends to do so even if she has to pay for it cause of her work and stuff. but since my new conn has been installed, my outlook express can no longer send mails.it recieves em but it cant send em!
this is the error i get:
An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: 'bgl.vsnl.net.in', Server: 'bgl.vsnl.net.in', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 Service not available.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61

how do i rectify this problem!

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
You are entering the wrong server address .. Follow the instructions given here :

*internet.vsnl.com/mailservices/howto_outlookexpress.htm

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
dude its still not working. i entered the incoming and outgoing mail servers as instructed in that link ,you gave me. and im still getting an error.

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: 'Apex', Server: 'smtp.vsnl.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 Service not available.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61
(note : i ve changed the account name to "Apex")

is an email client in anyway related to the provider?i dont think so. i never had this problem before. it started only when i got the new conn.

help me man.

tuxfan

Technomancer
May be you need to enable mail authorisation for outgoing to work in all VSNL accounts.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
In the Mail tab of Outlook Express accounts, Click on Properties while selected Apex ..
Click on Servers tab
Check the checkbox My server requires authentication in the Outgoing Mail Server frame ..
Click on Settings ..
Select Use same settings as my incoming mail server
..Click on Ok ..
Now try sending a mail ..

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
im getting the same error, it_waaznt_me. i turned on the authentication and tried it again by feeding the details too. but its not happening :(

tuxfan

Technomancer
Ok. Do one thing. Go here and see if you have followed the steps correctly. Be careful when you enter the POP3 and SMTP servers. They will obviously be different from what is mentioned on that page.

This page contains a step by step guide (alongwith screen shots) on how to configure Outlook Express 6. If you configure it right and it still doesn't work, we will see what else can be wrong.

BTW, have you tried some other mail client like Eudora or Mozilla Mail or Thunderbird. Does everything work there?

OP
L

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
its still not working dudes. i ve tried all the possible permutations and combinations and i just cant figure out what the problem is! and im getting the same error as above.
BTW, have you tried some other mail client like Eudora or Mozilla Mail or Thunderbird.
nope i havent tried that pal cause whats the point even if it works. its my moms account and she ll never switch to another client cause she is comfortable with outlook express. i havent made any change in the settings . its just that i changed my isp and this whole problem started.

tuxfan

Technomancer
lamrinnirmal said:
i havent made any change in the settings . its just that i changed my isp and this whole problem started.
Then clearly the problem is either at your end in configuring the OE or at your ISP's end. Contact your ISP and confirm their POP3 and SMTP servers.

Secondly, configure some other POP3 account in OE and see if it works. I can get you one free POP3 account for a few days to check your OE. Or you can also go to *www.hotpop.com or *www.softhome.net to get a free POP3 account.

lamrinirmal said:
its my moms account and she ll never switch to another client cause she is comfortable with outlook express
The reason to try some other mail client is to see if your POP3 and SMTP servers information is right. If you get some error even in some other mail client, then nothing is wrong with OE. Problem will have to solved by contacting your ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom